Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

šŸ† Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Five trialists involved at Hull

Another point - a two year deal? Is this not exactly whats been fucking us for years? Assume he does great in the first season then we have no leverage come Christmas in the second and he walks for nothing, whereas a three year deal gives us leverage for getting a good fee in the second year? Maybe thats getting a bit ahead of things like..

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another point - a two year deal? Is this not exactly whats been fucking us for years? Assume he does great in the first season then we have no leverage come Christmas in the second and he walks for nothing, whereas a three year deal gives us leverage for getting a good fee in the second year? Maybe thats getting a bit ahead of things like..

Ā 

Hopefully if he starts well then we can give him an improved deal (provided we've left ourselves room to do so) over a longer term. But yeah, it is getting ahead of ourselves a bit.

Interesting quote from that news piece is the writer's comment relating to Toronto FC - 'given his high salary' which is quoted as being 165,000 Canadian loonies, that equates to approx ƂĀ£91,000 at current rates.Ā  Not too much really. Plenty monkeys sitting at desks in Aberdeden earning more in the oil.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8194129.stm

Ā 

Swindon's Ifil agrees Dons move

Ā 

Jerel Ifil will sign a two-year contract with Aberdeen on Wednesday after being released by Swindon Town.

Ā 

The 27-year-old defender, who has passed a medical at Pittodrie, had his contract terminated a year early by Swindon to allow him to move north.

Ā 

Ifil had become surplus to requirements after the League One side recruited Scott Cuthbert from Celtic and former Kilmarnock defender Gordon Greer.

Ā 

But he impressed on trial for the Dons, who gained permission to talk terms.

Ā 

Ifil, who played for the Dons as they beat Hull City 1-0 in a benefit match for Dean Windass on Sunday, has been with Swindon since 2004.

Ā 

The Englishman, who was also farmed out for a spell with Huddersfield Town, spent three loan spells with the League One side while with Watford before being sold for ƂĀ£70,000.

At last some good, positive news. I have heard negative things against Ricketts though; that he has a reputation for not working hard enough, a bit Noel Wheelanesque perhaps.

Ā 

Aye, nae 100% sure aboot Ricketts masel, maybe a 1 year deal initially?!?

Ā 

Just wondering whether he would be as committed as he would be playing against the in-firm on a summers afternoon with bazillions watching live on ESPN as playing Hamilton on a freezing cold, foggy Wednesday night in front of 10 men and a dog.....

Ā 

Obviously I have absolutely nothing to base this assumptions onĀ  :thumbsup:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Ifil-to-become-one-of.5544682.jp

Ā 

Ā 

Ifil to become one of highest paid at Dons

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

ƂĀ« Previous ƂĀ« PreviousNext ƂĀ» Next ƂĀ»View GalleryPublished Date: 12 August 2009

By SCOTT DAVIE

JEREL Ifil will become one of the highest paid players at Pittodrie after agreeing a two-year contract with Aberdeen last night.

Now the defender can look forward to a Dons debut against Celtic on Saturday instead of a bench spot against MK Dons with Swindon Town.

Ā 

Ifil played more than 200 games for the Robins but has been frozen out by manager Danny Wilson and given a free transfer. The man Swindon fans nicknamed "The Beast" is seen as a vital addition to the starting line up by Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee, who persuaded his directors to find the money to fund the move after missing out on several targets in recent weeks. Ifil said: "I had a look at (Aberdeen] on the map and it's up, up and then up some more. I wasn't expecting to go there so it wasn't even in my mind. It will be a big move but I've got the blessing of my wife."

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Ā¢ Former Chelsea midfielder Jody Morris has been appointed temporary captain of St Johnstone, with Kevin Rutkiewicz out injured.

Ā 

Ā 

The money always seems to appear at the very last minute...

I was Rocastle and Alassane in too! Only then will I be confident of not fucking up the whole season.

Ā 

Were you now?

Ā 

Ā 

This is good news and if we can get at least one more in before Saturday hopefully it gives everyone a lift and galvanises the side.Ā  I hope Ifill cements that wee prick McDonald in the first minute. That'll get the crowd going.Ā  ;)

Ifil to sign on for Aberdeen today on a two-year deal

Ā 

By Alex Martin

Ā 

Published: 12/08/2009

Ā 

Defender Jerel Ifil will sign a two-year contract with Aberdeen today after being released by Swindon Town.

Ā 

The 27-year-old defender, who has passed a medical at Pittodrie, had his contract terminated a year early by Swindon to allow him to move north.

Ā 

Ifil had become surplus to requirements after the English League 1 side recruited Scott Cuthbert from Celtic and former Kilmarnock defender Gordon Greer.

Ā 

Ifil impressed on trial for the Dons, who gained permission to talk terms.

Ā 

Ifil, who played for the Dons on Sunday when they beat Hull City 1-0 in a benefit match for Dean Windass, has been with Swindon since 2004.

Ā 

The Englishman, who was also farmed out for a spell with Huddersfield Town, spent three loan spells with the League 1 side while with Watford before being sold for ƂĀ£70,000.

Ā 

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“We have cover at centre back and if the deal could go through then we would have more money in the pot for a striker,Ć¢ā‚¬ said Swindon Town manager Danny Wilson.

Ā 

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee is keen to strengthen his defence after his side was hammered 8-1 on aggregate by Sigma Olomouc in Europa League qualifying.

Ā 

The Dons lost Scott Severin to Watford during the summer, while Zander Diamond has missed the start of the season through injury.

Ā 

Ifil, who could make his Dons debut against Celtic on Saturday, was one of five trialists who featured in the second half against Hull.