Return of the Awesome Picture Thread

Reekie_Red

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hubbleextrapic.jpg

25 year anniversary of the Hubble telescope, more pics on the economist website:

http://www.economist.com/gallery/2015-04-22/hubbles-25-years-stellar-vision?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/hubblegallery

A stunning picture. As an amateur astronomer, I live in envy of the Hubble and the amazing pictures it can produce. Whereas my photos from my telescope come out black and white or perhaps with a small hint of colour and look tiny in comparison. It does slightly cheat in the fact that it doesn't photograph in colour and the colour is actually added in, but still beautiful. I am attending a photography workshop in Stoney later this year, so hopefully can learn a few new tricks that will help photograph deep space images a bit better. There truly is nothing more beautiful than space. Cheers for posting :-)

A stunning picture. As an amateur astronomer, I live in envy of the Hubble and the amazing pictures it can produce. Whereas my photos from my telescope come out black and white or perhaps with a small hint of colour and look tiny in comparison. It does slightly cheat in the fact that it doesn't photograph in colour and the colour is actually added in, but still beautiful. I am attending a photography workshop in Stoney later this year, so hopefully can learn a few new tricks that will help photograph deep space images a bit better. There truly is nothing more beautiful than space. Cheers for posting :-)

Amazing what you find out on a forum, it is an fascinating subject and blows your mind thinking about it.  I'm assuming you have to get the exposure absolutely spot on to be able to photograph deep space well? I've been to a couple of the events down here in London at the Hub in Regents Park.  Surprising how much you can see with a few telescopes. I think they're called the Baker Street Irregulars. Interesting bunch.

Amazing what you find out on a forum, it is an fascinating subject and blows your mind thinking about it.  I'm assuming you have to get the exposure absolutely spot on to be able to photograph deep space well? I've been to a couple of the events down here in London at the Hub in Regents Park.  Surprising how much you can see with a few telescopes. I think they're called the Baker Street Irregulars. Interesting bunch.

The key is being able to track the night sky and by doing between 20 and 30 second exposures and stacking the images. ISO settings tend to be 1200 and obviously you get a lot of 'noise', but Photoshop helps a lot with touching the photos up. Unfortunately my telescope mount broke last year so i am saving for a new one, but will hopefully get a goto mount where i can track objects for longer exposures.

Aye it is amazing what you can see, even with small telescopes. Mine is a 5.1" reflector, but viewing planets and larger celestial objects still look amazing. Mind blowing doesnt even come close to describing it for me, im a space geek and the first time a i saw Andromeda through a telescope was incredible.