Killie vs Aberdeen 03/10/09

manc_don

DON STILL ON NIGERIA UNDER-20 World Cup DUTY IN EGYPT

No early return by Aluko to face Killie

By Michael Gannon

Published: 02/10/2009

Sone Aluko:waiting game

More Pictures

Aberdeen’s Nigerian international attacker Sone Aluko will not be making a dramatic return to Scotland from the Under-20 World Cup in Egypt to face Kilmarnock tomorrow.

The prospect of an early return has been ruled out after the Flying Eagles’ 5-0 victory against Tahiti in Cairo last night kept alive their hopes of reaching the last 16 as one of the four best third-placed sides. Aluko was in the Nigeria starting line-up and was replaced after 67 minutes.

Nigeria were in jeopardy of an early exit after losing their opening group matches against Spain and Venezuela but now face a nervous 48-hour wait on the outcome of the final round of matches.

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee was already resigned to losing Aluko for the Rugby Park encounter, although his presence would have been a tonic to a squad already bereft of defenders Zander Diamond, Jerel Ifil and Davide Grassi as well as forward Tommy Wright.

The Dons defence may require emergency surgery as the Reds look to extend their run of five consecutive clean sheets in the SPL, but McGhee is more concerned with improving his side in attack.

Aberdeen are just two games away from matching the SPL record of seven shutouts in a row, achieved by Celtic in 2001 but, in contrast, Aberdeen have scored just once in their last four SPL matches – against St Mirren – and the manager wants his side to be more of a goal threat.

He said: “I would like to see us scoring more and that has been more a focus in training this week. The clean sheet record is an irrelevance to me.

“I do not care if we keep a clean sheet at Kilmarnock as long as we get all three points. I do not mind if it is 1-0 or 4-2, the most important thing is we score more goals than they do. The clean sheet record is not something I am thinking about, it would be a pleasing postscript but nothing more.â€

The shutout run has helped Dons goalkeeper Jamie Langfield earn a call for the Scotland squad which heads to Japan next week.

McGhee wants maximum points to take into the international break but he will not underestimate Kilmarnock, who have made a solid, if unspectacular, start to the SPL season.

Killie forward Kevin Kyle is the main danger but the Dons manager insisted he is more concerned of what his side can do to trouble the hosts.

He said: “Killie have a simple but effective style. They are very direct up to Kevin Kyle. I am not thinking about how we play against Kevin Kyle, though. I am thinking about how we can cause problems in their penalty area.

“We have a fortnight’s break after this game, so it is a big one for us. Three points and we have a positive two weeks and by the end of them we could have Zander and Jerel back fit and we would be in a decent position in the league.â€

Nice to read we're not lining up to suit their play and I completely agree with his sentiments towards the clean sheets, goals scored is what we need! We really need three points here, although Killie did look decent and dangerous against the Huns, which is why I think it will be a draw, but here's hoping to me being wrong :beers:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest Kow, I don't think we have any other option, but he has done ok there. As I said earlier in the week, I think he should start with the same team that played for the majority of the Huns game. They proved their worth in that, lets see if they have the desire to follow it up with 3 points at Rugby Park.

Whilst I don't think MM could've legislated for having Diamond, Ifil, Crawford and Grassi all injured it does show how thin the squad is.

Maybe;

Clangers

Gary Mac, Considine, Foster, Mulgrew

Pawlett, FF, Kerr, Paton

Miller, Bebo

Duff in at RB and Gary Mac in centre mid for FF it the manager feels the lad needs a break.

So he's not thinking about how we play against Kevin Kyle? Not at all? That'll be embarrassing if Kyle scores a hat-trick  :-[

If MM isn't concerned with Kyle then fair enough, I don't rate Kyle, just think he has done alright but will fall away, just need Consi to bully him abit and he'll be quiet enough.

The thing with Kyle is several decent managers have rated him. While he may not have the touch of even a Mackie and he doesn't have the football brain of even a Lee Miller. He is a bruising battering ram of a player who seems to know where the net is and not many defenders would relish playing against him, especially when the high balls start getting pumped into the box. You can bet your life that, whatever McGhee says, he has had the players practising against this type of attack all week in training. Almost a pity Tommys still injured as he could have been quite an effective practise Kyle.

Against teams like Killie, we shouldn't be too worried about their team. Worry about our team, formation and tactics and we have enough quality to see of Killie.

See I don't get this I know we always finish above Killie but we very rarely beat them convincingly - last time I was at Rugby Park we had one shot on goal

A lot of defenders out, but i'm still reasonably confident about Saturday.

Considine has been in fine form sofar this season, hopefully he can keep it up, and Foster has looked well at centre half, so hopefully together they can form a decent partnership until Diamond and No.23 are back. Stuart Duff has looked most like a professional footballer when he's been at right back, and Mulgrew can slot into his usual left back role. Its leaving us pretty stretched, but I refuse to believe that we have lots of decent forward going players in our youth team, and not even one half decent defender who could fill a gap come Saturday.

Fingers crossed Miller finally gets dropped, and upfront we can have some sort of Paton/Powlett/Maguire combination, as whenever they're together they look much better than the sum of the parts.

Thought McDonald was pretty good last weekend, Kerr will start and the last gap should be Fyvie - There's no chance of him burning out too soon.

Or, in short:

Langfield

Duff    Foster    Considine      Mulgrew

McDonald      Kerr        Fyvie

Paton    Maguire      Powlett

Oh, and Hi Mum!

Got us down for a 2-0 win Charlie Mulgrew a £1 e/w at 16`s with Gaz Mac to hit one against his former club at 20`s same stake.

Can I make a request?  For us to sing Ten Men Went To Mow.  My female friend said when she was little her and her mates sang something different to the same tune. 

"A Supersonic Sausage Dog With Rubber Suckers As It`s Feet.", the changed lyrics to their version or words to that effect.

Made me realise how much I miss singing this.  The day we were let in early at Tannadice before our 2-1 defeat is an afernoon I will remember fondly.  Dancing to "One Man Went To Mow, Went To Mow A Meadow." in an empty stadium and to a few of the Dons players warming up a crazy chain of events if there ever is such a thing!

Meant to say weather forecast for down here is absolutley pish for tomorrow.

Kein Kyle is a fucking big donkey, but nonetheless can be difficult to play against. Worried about tomorrow with Foster and Considine as centre back pairing. Foster too small to counter act Kyle in the air, and don't think Considine is tough enough to get stuck in about him for ninety minutes.

Please go prove me wrong lads.