Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Duff, Mackie, Young and Wright to leave?

BobbyBiscuit

In fact reading it again, I think it would seem to hint (quite blatantly) that it might not be the players fans are expecting ie. those mentioned at the top??

If those 4 were to stay I would be stunned. Young is already well off the 1st team and Mackie (thankfully) seems to be heading that way so would be some turn around if McGhee was now to decide to keep them on although as they are under contract suspect it may be the summer before they are moved on.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see Maguire punted.

He was woeful again and I fear he's starting to believe his own hype.  He's really nothing special at all.

I don't think thats too fair. He wasn't in his natural position today, and I think he was a little pissed off he didn't get to start after putting in such a good shift last Saturday.

But don't get me wrong, I would have been more effective than him if McGhee had given me the nod today.

• 2 weeks later...
from the P&J

McGhee, who also wants midfielders Mark Kerr and Gary McDonald and defender Maurice Ross to sign up for extended stays, added: “I don’t know if any club will be able to strengthen in the January transfer window. We certainly don’t have the money. We are hoping if we can agree pre-contract deals with players then their clubs might think it best to release them early. We have been really lucky to sign a player such as Maurice, but I don’t think there will be big changes.â€

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1457071#ixzz0VEXcvhO8

I'm hoping that maybe he's keeping his cards close to his chest. Because we have to get a creative midfielder.

@manc_don - Aberdeen will be okay though, they don't need television money to strengthen.

They certainly shouldn't rely on it. Youth is the way forward for most teams in Scotland. Think back to times before over cooked TV money. Time to forget about England, we will never compete with England again for players. Certainly not without some sort of revolution.

They certainly shouldn't rely on it. Youth is the way forward for most teams in Scotland. Think back to times before over cooked TV money. Time to forget about England, we will never compete with England again for players. Certainly not without some sort of revolution.

:clap: Its a sad indictment of the times that we cannot compete with lower league teams in England, but if the future is as bright as the little glimpse we've had this season, we should be ok. My only concern is though is that we need someone in the middle of the park that will dictate play, and I doubt any of our youth are ready to take on that role just yet.

I'm hoping that maybe he's keeping his cards close to his chest. Because we have to get a creative midfielder.

This was posted on the hat.

Just listened to Craig Robertson on Redweb, he outlined what his role within the club is, which is chief scout, and that he is off to Slovenia this weekend to look at two possibilities.

Guest leith_red

@Sharpie - I absolutely agree, problem being that as long as there is bucketloads of cash in the English league players will be enticed down there.  Vicious circle.

So long as we are selling players to down south, would that be a bad thing though?

And, fuck me, the quote facility does work!

So long as we are selling players to down south, would that be a bad thing though?

And, fuck me, the quote facility does work!

Totally, I'm sure we all agree that the future of this club is to be like hibs, a selling club. Obviously, I hope and pray we can sell our players for the price that HIVs do. So selling players to England is no bad thing, as long as its not at the drop of a hat! Oh and Leith, its his USP ;)

Mini, Klimpl came from Slovenia did he not? I always thought that we should be utilising the Eastern European market a bit wiser than the likes of...christ, what his name? That tall Czech guy?

@Sharpie - I absolutely agree, problem being that as long as there is bucketloads of cash in the English league players will be enticed down there.  Vicious circle.

Aye, but looks like that is life. If it means we compete in our own league with home bread players then that is a positive.

@leith_red - I agree our future as a club is bringing through our own youth and selling them to richer clubs, my only issue with that is the fact we'll never really progress as we'll constantly have the spine of our team ripped out. 

Letting players go has killed us in recent years.

Hibs may be a good example with regards bringing through talent, selling them for large sums and moving on, but it hasn't really helped them kick on as a club.  They've stagnated and regularly finish 5th/6th.

@leith_red - I agree our future as a club is bringing through our own youth and selling them to richer clubs, my only issue with that is the fact we'll never really progress as we'll constantly have the spine of our team ripped out. 

Letting players go has killed us in recent years.

Hibs may be a good example with regards bringing through talent, selling them for large sums and moving on, but it hasn't really helped them kick on as a club.  They've stagnated and regularly finish 5th/6th.

But that will happen to Celtic and Rangers more often now as well given their own investment problems? Things will even out more?

And as I remember we were essentially a selling club in the late 70's early 80's there were only a few who stayed and I bet that was more than slightly reliant on the relative fee's received for the rest. Also there are a fair few worried by Hibs now, that they seem to be re-investing some of the money received in transfers.

If only some people had the foresight to see the advantages of being in a decent financial position for if/when one of the OF's fortunes turned and suggested not wasting the guts of a million quid on replacing the management team.    ;):wave: