Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

I'm starting to like McGhee

Reekie_Red

I have been sitting on the fence with regard McGhee's appointment as Aberdeen boss. I wasn't too thrilled by the appointment, but then again I'm always willing to give every new Aberdeen manager my support.

But more recently, he's starting to give me reason to actually like him. He's not showing any favouritism, is happy to stick to a tactic that he knows his players can stick to, and he doesn't seem phased about dropping players who were regulars under Jimmy.

Most recently, this is what he's said about Chris Maguire ... a player that has had praised piled on him by previous managers ... for reasons that still seem to escape me. Anyway this is what McGhee has said about Bebo:

"I have my reasons for only using Chris sparingly. He has immense potential but still has a lot to do to convince me he is ready to be a regular first-choice player. He has to get fitter and stronger. There a lot of areas he has to work on before he gets what he clearly wants. Another important part in the development of young players is teaching them to take responsibility for their own performances. They can't make excuses or blame other people or systems or even the weather if they haven't done well. If your not playing well you have to recognise that and make extra effort to improve and I told him that."

Good on you Mark. It's only taken, what, four years for someone to say this to Maguire. :clap:

Guest fatshaft

Saw that quote a few days ago, and found it pretty telling of Maguire's attitude. There's not much reading between the lines required to see that his default stance is 'not my fault'. Arrogant cock.

He's not showing any favouritism, is happy to stick to a tactic that he knows his players can stick to, and he doesn't seem phased about dropping players who were regulars under Jimmy.

1. His main problem at the start of the season was his determination to stick to 4-3-3

2. In my opinion Kerr, McDonald and Miller should have been dropped for a game by now as their attitudes stink

Guest fatshaft

McGhee's favourites  ;);D

I don't think it's that, it's that having decided that Mackie, Duff and Young are no good, with so many youngsters now in the team he just has to play these three, or it would effectively become a youth team.

1. His main problem at the start of the season was his determination to stick to 4-3-3

2. In my opinion Kerr, McDonald and Miller should have been dropped for a game by now as their attitudes stink

Then it also raises the question mizer, do we have the quality to actually replace them? If dropping them, would it be to the detriment of the teams overall performance? Who would you bring in? Young, Duff?  :-\ alternatively maybe, and its only my thoughts on this, they were 3 of the guys (Aluko can probably be included in that) who were most upset at JC's departure. Maybe they were sulking and McGhee was giving them time to get used to the new way of things (trying to show faith in them). I know it isn't how I would deal with the situation and I was certainly calling for them to be dropped (Miller especially) but in hindsight, maybe thats what was going on?

I have to say, I've started to enjoy his radio interviews and especially reading about what he thinks of Maguire was very positive. We all know the guy has the potential, just needs to stop thinking he's made it. Hopefully McGhee is the man to drum that into him, otherwise Peterhead here you come Maguire!

Thats fair enough Jagerdeen, results need to pick up soon, and there are signs of positivity (from what I can gather). But  this is still the transition period (as Ajja reminded me whilst I was bored off my tits at the Falkirk game) and it takes a bit of time for all to get used to a new thing. Hopefully he's done this and the results will start to follow, because they really do need to. I don't want to have too much of a gap between ourselves and Hibs despite our traditionally strong finish to the season.

I'd agree that the team is improving under McGhee, and when I say that I mean from the first couple of matches. We're obviously drawing too many games and failing to kill teams off, but we seem to be playing with more confidence as the youngsters settle in. In my opinion Jimmy's team of last season would have beaten MM's team of late, but that's really not a fair comparison to make. Mark McGhee has been given some terrible tools (scuse the pun) to work with.

My problem was never with McGhee, just the decision to replace Calderwood with him.

Too much attention is being spunked on what he's saying.

If it were Calderwood, I'd agree with you here min. But McGhee has backed up his threats with real action - Maybe Duff has given himself a lifeline with his performance vs Hearts, but surely Young's days are numbered. And look how sparingly Maguire is being used nowadays too!

I agree. McGhee's media skills are good and I find myself agreeing with most he say's. That said, it's the performances and results that will convince me that he is the right man for AFC.

In the first 10/15 mins of the second half against Hearts, there was maybe the first glimpses of what McGhee wants from the Aberdeen squad. Lots of movement, quick feet and quick, accurate passing. It was good football and pleasing on the eye. It might until next summer until he can take out/bring in the players he feels are capable of producing the brand of football he wants, but the Hearts game was encouraging.

Lets just remain patient. McGhee has steadied things and while not exactly impressing we are unbeaten in the league since the opening day. I think its actually quite an accomplishment to have had the run we have with such a depleated squad. The key thing is that we see continuous progress, the performance against UTD is quite a big milestone in the season IMO. If we can boss them and win convincingly then most peoples golden boys for 3rd place will be firmly in our pocket. I think a positive view of McGhee will be increasingly reinforced by next week.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

McGhee clearly has more in his head than Jimmy Calderwood, that said so does my cat.

I think its to early to judge but the performances are kind of similar and the results are arguably not as good as last season. I'll not start judging McGhee fully until the Scottish Cup starts, I expect a good run and with the old firm total shite i'll be fairly pissed off if we don't get a good run this year. The quality of the team isn't there in terms of depth for a good season in the SPL but on one off basis I think we have enough there to at least expect another semi final.

McGhee clearly has more in his head than Jimmy Calderwood, that said so does my cat.

I think its to early to judge but the performances are kind of similar and the results are arguably not as good as last season. I'll not start judging McGhee fully until the Scottish Cup starts, I expect a good run and with the old firm total shite i'll be fairly pissed off if we don't get a good run this year. The quality of the team isn't there in terms of depth for a good season in the SPL but on one off basis I think we have enough there to at least expect another semi final.

Being even more specific than that, I think he'll be judged heavily on the big games, i.e. the games that change a season. Matches versus Rangers at Pittodrie aside (not to say I didn't enjoy them), Calderwood made a habit of not delivering in these. The team looked spineless in the Qos and United semis of two years ago, and this is a legacy which has stuck as they were both so crucial. At the end of the day, if he had won either of these he'd still be here today (not necesarily a good thing) so McGhee's performance in such games should be closely scrutinised. Semi finals are only worthwhile if your team turns up for them.

Totally agree, judging by Millers comments in the annual report he does too.

On the face of it losing to QOS when I think we all felt rangers were there for the taking in the final was a feckin joke......

That was until our atrocious failure in beating Dunfermline in the quarter finals, not just once but in a replay also. With Falkirk awaiting in the semi final I think last year represented an even better chance to win a major trophy and similar failings from McGhee would not be acceptable.

I'm of the opinion McGhee has already burned one bridge with that defeat against Dundee, yeah they are a decent side but losing to lower league teams is unacceptable for me. Maybe the game came to soon, but come January I expect us to be ready  :thumbsup:

Totally agree, judging by Millers comments in the annual report he does too.

On the face of it losing to QOS when I think we all felt rangers were there for the taking in the final was a feckin joke......

That was until our atrocious failure in beating Dunfermline in the quarter finals, not just once but in a replay also. With Falkirk awaiting in the semi final I think last year represented an even better chance to win a major trophy and similar failings from McGhee would not be acceptable.

I'm of the opinion McGhee has already burned one bridge with that defeat against Dundee, yeah they are a decent side but losing to lower league teams is unacceptable for me. Maybe the game came to soon, but come January I expect us to be ready  :thumbsup:

Without wishing to make excuses I think the scumdee game was a different kettle of fish, with us being in a period of transition and them riding the crest of a money wave. We all knew that it would be a struggle and given that it was an early round not nearly as much was at stake.

My positive slant on this may be down to the fact I wasn't there, but I was present for all of the previous cup fiascos. It always hurts a bit more when your hard-earned goes down the swanny as well as another season of cup failure.

Without wishing to make excuses I think the scumdee game was a different kettle of fish, with us being in a period of transition and them riding the crest of a money wave. We all knew that it would be a struggle and given that it was an early round not nearly as much was at stake.

I get what your trying to say, but there can be no excuses for a lower league cup defeat despite all the available variables.

A limp cup exit to a lower league team is inexcusable whether it's at the 3rd round or semi final, whether or not it's to First Division contenders or 3rd Division part-timers, whether we have a new manager still getting to grip with his side or an experienced manager we've had for years.

I get what your trying to say, but there can be no excuses for a lower league cup defeat despite all the available variables.

A limp cup exit to a lower league team is inexcusable whether it's at the 3rd round or semi final, whether or not it's to First Division contenders or 3rd Division part-timers, whether we have a new manager still getting to grip with his side or an experienced manager we've had for years.

True, but the point is that we learned a lot about the squad/manager and their 'bottle' in these bigger games. While Dundee pissed me off, the real test for me is to see whether the new crop (albeit with much the same players) falter whenever they get within sight of silverware. This is why, to some extent, the QoS game for me was more disappointing than the QP exit two years beforehand.