Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Paul Marshall / Jim O'Brien

Kowalski

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGhee has said on RedTV that we wont be signing anyone till next summer so we won't be seeing these guys anytime soon.

This season gets better and better..........

If we can stop getting players sent off and injured every 5 mins we might actually do a bit better.  It will be like having 5 new signings etc etc etc

P&J reporting that one new face expected in January.

ABERDEEN MANAGER CAN’T AFFORD FEE FOR MOTHERWELL WINGER BUT COULD BRING IN ENGLISHMAN MARSHALL INSTEAD

McGhee forced to put O’Brien on hold until the summer

By Paul Third

Published: 22/12/2009

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee expects to bring in just one new face in January when the transfer window opens but it will not be Motherwell winger Jim O’Brien.

The Dons manager hopes to sign O’Brien on a pre-contract agreement for next season but he does not expect the player to move to Pittodrie before July.

He said: “I doubt anything will happen soon as we haven't had any contact back from Motherwell. If we want to take him in January they will require a small fee.

“Well we won’t have a small fee to pay for him or anyone which is why I am lining things up for summer.

“If something happens quicker than that then great but I won't be holding my breath for that.â€

Manchester City winger Paul Marshall, however, is being targeted for a role at Pittodrie in the new year.

The Englishman impressed in a recent week-long training stint with the Dons and McGhee is hopeful he will sign the player.

He said: “We still hope to get Paul Marshall from Manchester City on either a loan or if he's freed but he looks like being the only one.

“There's simply no money in the pot but I knew that when I came to Aberdeen so I'm not going to start bleating about that now.

“I would love to have some money as there are players out there who would improve our chances of doing what we want to.

“But we are not in that position, so we can't start moaning about it now.â€

McGhee suffered another blow yesterday when the SFA confirmed forward Lee Miller has received a three-match ban after his red card against Hibs on Saturday.

The Dons attacker was shown a straight red card for his petulant kick at Hibs’ Merouane Zemmama.

He will also serve a further two-game suspension in the new year for exceeding the disciplinary points limit.

Miller will miss Saturday’s game at St Mirren but is available for next Tuesday’s visit of Falkirk.

He will then miss the SPL matches at Dundee United on January 2 and St Johnstone on January 16 but is available for the Scottish Cup tie against Hearts on January 9 at Pittodrie.

The defeat by John Hughes’s side means the Dons are 14 points behind the third-placed Edinburgh team but McGhee has not given up hope of catching the Easter Road side.

He said: “I don't think third place is by any means outwith the bounds of possibility.

“I still believe there is the sort of performance in us that is capable of seeing off the likes of Dundee United.

“We showed enough even in the defeat on Saturday that it won't take much to tilt things the other way if we got the first goal against that Hibs team. If we can do that then there are plenty of games left to make up the gap as we have them to play another twice yet.

“We would have to beat them twice to put more pressure on them but that's not outwith the realms of possibility. We have the ability in this squad of players to go on the winning run we need to make it happen.â€

Well, we all knew it was gonna be a pre-contract agreement in January with O'Brien arriving in the summer. Generally, that's what a pre-contract agreement is.

But hey, let's not have the facts getting in the P&J, Record and Sun's way of producing a nice wee story. "Haha, the Dons can't afford £20k" ... erm, no. Why pay £20k for a player who can come to us for nowt six months later?!

Well, we all knew it was gonna be a pre-contract agreement in January with O'Brien arriving in the summer. Generally, that's what a pre-contract agreement is.

But hey, let's not have the facts getting in the P&J, Record and Sun's way of producing a nice wee story. "Haha, the Dons can't afford £20k" ... erm, no. Why pay £20k for a player who can come to us for nowt six months later?!

Because we're currently playing some of the worst football i've ever had to endure at Pittodrie, and the £20k figure is the price of getting 900ish punters through the gate, or maybe an xmas present from any of the multi-millionaires on our board who've managed to fuck up basically every decision they've made in the past few years.

Do we think O'Brien will significantly add a dimension to our play that Pawlett or Aluko are not already able to add ? This seems like the area of our team that needs least strengthening to me.

Exactly, we need a defender and a striker. Surely since we have skant resources as it is, we should be using them far more wisely than on positions that we are reasonably well covered in. That said though, with our current inability to create very much and convert it, its hard to see an area of our team that couldn't do with a facelift. Apart from in goals  :-\

Do we think O'Brien will significantly add a dimension to our play that Pawlett or Aluko are not already able to add ? This seems like the area of our team that needs least strengthening to me.

I'm sure as it is the God of Football Management Mark McGhee that has identified him he will be at least 100 times better than "Jimmy's Dross" and will also make a major impact on the loser mentality, the bulk of our current squad, has. I'd goa as far to say he will single handedly win us a cup.

I'm sure this won't pay £20k is posturing in the hope of getting him for £10K once the pre-contract is signed.

I'm sure as it is the God of Football Management Mark McGhee that has identified him he will be at least 100 times better than "Jimmy's Dross" and will also make a major impact on the loser mentality, the bulk of our current squad, has. I'd goa as far to say he will single handedly win us a cup.

I'm sure this won't pay £20k is posturing in the hope of getting him for £10K once the pre-contract is signed.

Fuck me, can you not just let the whole thing go, your agenda is funny and annoying.  I think ALuko could be getting moved upfront or JOB will get a shot upfront as he is a striker, each time he has played against us he has been their best player, lets hope we get him and he helps us create and score more.

Possibly punting Aluko?

To be honest that wouldn't surprise me at all.

The only real issue I have with that, is the fact that his stock is probably at the lowest ebb it has been during his time with us, and as such we're going to be talking buttons for him  ::)

To be honest that wouldn't surprise me at all.

The only real issue I have with that, is the fact that his stock is probably at the lowest ebb it has been during his time with us, and as such we're going to be talking buttons for him  ::)

And of course some folk will have you believe that AFC will only get 50% of those buttons

HE seemed happy the other night in Tiger tiger, but then again if I was on a free night out I'd be chuffed to bits.  I don't believe the 50% thing either Al, if that does come to be proved correct though, I'll probably want a few questions answered from the board about that deal as like everyone else I know Aluko has amazing ability but he blow more cold than hot and has done since his loan period here.

Fuck me, can you not just let the whole thing go, your agenda is funny and annoying.  I think ALuko could be getting moved upfront or JOB will get a shot upfront as he is a striker, each time he has played against us he has been their best player, lets hope we get him and he helps us create and score more.

Oh old on...

What's this I have on my line?

Looks like I've caught myself a Fisherman ;) .

I'll make January signings, says Aberdeen FC boss

Boost for Red Army

Published: 23/12/2009

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today delivered some festive cheer to their fans by confirming he WILL make signings next month.

McGhee is confident Manchester City midfielder Paul Marshall will arrive on loan until the summer.

He is also working on other deals, including attempting to persuade Motherwell’s Jim O’Brien to sign a pre-contract agreement.

Aberdeen FC boss McGhee said: “The squad will be strengthened next month. I’m very hopeful Marshall will be cleared to join us. We are looking at one or two other possible loan deals as well, so I’m confident we will have some new faces on board for the second half of the season.â€

For more on this story and bumper coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.