McGhee on the "You're not fit to wear the shirt" chants

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I am becoming increasingly ambivalent to the situation down Pittodrie Street. In 15 odd years what has changed?

The players, the manager? Obviously.

The only constant over this time is some of the board; but I'm not sure if they are even the focus of, what is inevitably accelerating towards a half drunk rant...

The trouble with football is that since 1996 everyone has had an opinion on football. To start with this was a good thing, you could go into a pub and start up a conversation with a stranger about football and not have them look at you like you'd killed someone. Then you started coming across the wankers with their Man Utd then Arsenal then Liverpool (whatever happened to them) then Chelsea  shirts and lets be honest here these wankers were the same people just with ever changing shirts and memories of how they came to support "their" team.

WHY? Why the fuck would anyone not want to support their local team? Why if you didn't want to support your local team would you choose any of the afore mentioned teams? and add the Old Firm to that although there does seem to be some sort of scumbag reason for that beyond the obvious success related "high" that these fitba junkies seem to get off on. "Eeeeehmmm I support Chelsea because in 1922 they won the South West London Counties Champion of champions shield and its exceptionally interesting because Chelsea aren't in South West London and neither are my family we hail from the Midlands but my Grandad was born the year after and he supported  Chelmsley Town and they have C-H-E-L at the start of their name and my uncle once bought me a Fulham shirt and of course they are at the opposite end of the Kings Road from Chelsea, so really it was written in the stars that I support them".

CUNTS :wave:

As much as I hate to admit it we must have a lot of these in our support, fuck it lets not even blame these bastards. I was slagging Jimmy in his second season after not driving the nail home (at home) and really sticking it to Le Guen in the race for second. We and I'm not just talking about Aberdonian's here, are impatient, and what successive managers have failed to recognise, have a fishing village-esque superiority complex. Aberdeen fitba club should be able to take me, a couple of my fat mates, a disabled female goalie and two wheel chair bound paraplegic strikers and still win the fucking league (according to us).

It's not happening not now and at no point in the immediate future, and I'm sure (going back to my original point) it doesn't help we have a certain percentage of these combined with those post-'96 fitba expert's on our board.

I don't know what the answer is? Now I think I've completely given up on changes at the top of the footballing ladder. One decent appointment in 15 years £12 million (and counting) over-spent, a now unsafe ground...

Are we at a cross roads in our existence? Do we even have the bottle to even attempt to force Milne out?

Lets play out a scenario whereby McInnes or Levein has taken us to where we are at this point this season, is iy transitional for them?. Is their support for non-Aberdeen leg ends? or are Milne and co desperately trying to re-sign Inglis to disperse the baying mob?

I wonder how long we are likely we are to survive administration before Rangers and Celtic come flashing cheap perfumed fagina's in the direction of Pawlett, Aluko, and Fyvie. Because at this point losing this trio and not seeing them develop is the only downside I can see to sucking it up and clearing our debt.

Anyway alcohol plus attempting to concentrate....  The only way I'll see if this makes any sense is the AM

gOODNIGHT.

After reading his quotes on the BBC site, he can shut the fuck up and get on with his job.

"As a player, I would have wanted to challenge that, prove them wrong," added McGhee, when quizzed about the unrest in the stands. "But I think we live in different times and different players take different attitudes."

Have cut remainder of your post Slim, sorry, but this part hit a nerve with me when I listened to McGhee interview.

McGhee himself said his reaction to booing.... "As a player, I would have wanted to challenge that, prove them wrong" .... but with regards today's players ...

".... we live in different different times and different players take different attitudes?" 

#... WTF does that mean?!

To me it means they don't give a shit for the club they signed for. They have a contract, guaranteed money. Fans boo me, "am I bovvered?!" £Noooo, feck the Pie&Bovril minions!

Don't think I mentioned in last post that "You're not fit to wear the shirt" chant wasn't heard by me until after FT whistle.

Loud and clear after FT though.

Another personal observation fae McGhee interview was his comment along the lines of "Don't think the fans apppreciate the re-building job over several windows".

I'm a give McG time/transitional period (tho boo'd at HT v Raith; that's different!)... however... maybe McGhee was really saying "I inherited shit fae Calderwood?!"  :-\

** tin hat on **

To me it means McGhee isn't capable of instilling the right attitude in these players. I didn't actually hear this chant at the weekend and I honestly think it's been blown out of all proportion for a few weak headlines in papers that thrive on peddling shite.

A few more bad results and MM will be fighting for his career at Pittodrie, and given that he's rumoured to be on a rolling yearly contract, I think he'll lose that fight, partly because he's so inept at keeping the fans on his side due to these sort of stupid statements and the way he allows the press to use them to make the club look like tits.

To me it means McGhee isn't capable of instilling the right attitude in these players. I didn't actually hear this chant at the weekend and I honestly think it's been blown out of all proportion for a few weak headlines in papers that thrive on peddling shite.

A few more bad results and MM will be fighting for his career at Pittodrie, and given that he's rumoured to be on a rolling yearly contract, I think he'll lose that fight, partly because he's so inept at keeping the fans on his side due to these sort of stupid statements and the way he allows the press to use them to make the club look like tits.

Horrendous post. For a start McGhee is on a 2 year contract initially then it may be a rolling contract but definitely 2 years to start with.

If we have a few more bad results there's no way McGhee should be fighting for his career, imo your right in that McGhee's comments were stupid but your statements even more so and he doesn't even need to bother making the club look like tits when comments like yours are being bandied about.

WHY? Why the fuck would anyone not want to support their local team? CUNTS :wave:

As much as I hate to admit it we must have a lot of these in our support, fuck it lets not even blame these bastards.

I don't support my local team. I'm not sure how it's my fault Aberdeen are shit. Maybe I shouldn't have poured thousands of pounds into them over the years. That would certainly have helped, I'm sure.

Are we at a cross roads in our existence? Do we even have the bottle to even attempt to force Milne out?

Yes, to the first question.  The club is dying a painful death. Milne has chucked money at it in the past and it failed. So now we're going down the prudent route and the club is trundling along, but only just under the weight of debt on our shoulders. We have a chairman who is able to wipe this debt out but he chooses not to. His perogative, of course. It's his money after all.  Just as it was his decisions that ultimately led us to this juncture.

As for your second point, the question isn't whether the bottle is there or not, it's whether we have the money.  Standing outside Pittodrie singing "Sack the Board" isn't going to do anything. Until someone comes up with the money to buy out his shareholding and can prove that they can take the club forward we are stuck with the guy, as much as it pains me to say it.

The only way I'll see if this makes any sense is the AM

It doesn't, but what do I know? I don't support my local team...  ;)

Its presented much better in the P&J

We need them to back players and believe a bit more in the team, says Aberdeen manager

McGhee is looking for some blind faith from supporters

Published: 10/02/2010

Mark McGhee yesterday urged Aberdeen fans to give the team “a break†and back the players “blindly†until his long-term vision has a chance to come to fruition.

The Dons were booed by their supporters on Saturday when Gary McDonald’s 95th-minute goal earned them a Scottish Cup replay against Raith Rovers.

The Dons had lost their previous two Scottish Premier League games, at home to Motherwell and Falkirk, to leave them 15 points behind third-placed Hiber-nian before their trip to Easter Road.

But McGhee insists he and his players deserve more support.

“The players here do receive more abuse from fans than at other clubs,†he said.

“As a player myself, I would want to challenge that and prove them wrong. But we live in different times and different players take different attitudes. Some might think, ‘To hell with this, I’m not taking this any more’.

“But you have got people like Darren Mackie, who has suffered as much, if not more, abuse than any other player. But on Saturday, I was getting abuse for taking him off.

“I think it’s a case of me being prepared to challenge them and say, ‘Come on, we need more help than that’. We need them to believe a bit more.â€

The Dons take on Hibs tonight and McGhee, who lost out on signing target Alan Gow to the Edinburgh team last week, feels Easter Road counterpart John Hughes has an advantage over him in terms of resources.

But he added: “In 18 months or two years, I expect to be able to say ‘I expect to beat Hibs at Easter Road’. But I don’t think we can say that now and I don’t think we can expect to beat Raith Rovers at Stark’s Park. We’re not established enough as a team. This is a work in progress.

“I want almost like a blind support, until they can say ‘you have had two years and signed 10 players and it’s not any better’. Then I’ll be down the road, there’s no doubt about that, but it’s a long way from that yet.

Its presented much better in the P&J

They can present it any way they like, but for anyone who has seen the interview, the anger in his voice and his face, it didn't make pleasant viewing. Further divisions between manager/players/fans is the last thing the club needed just now.

But he added: “In 18 months or two years, I expect to be able to say ‘I expect to beat Hibs at Easter Road’. But I don’t think we can say that now and I don’t think we can expect to beat Raith Rovers at Stark’s Park. We’re not established enough as a team. This is a work in progress.

“I want almost like a blind support, until they can say ‘you have had two years and signed 10 players and it’s not any better’. Then I’ll be down the road, there’s no doubt about that, but it’s a long way from that yet.

He should sign up for an account on the hat. He'll be telling us Jimmy was a fat orange clueless buffoon next.  ;)

Yes, to the first question.  The club is dying a painful death. Milne has chucked money at it in the past and it failed. So now we're going down the prudent route and the club is trundling along, but only just under the weight of debt on our shoulders. We have a chairman who is able to wipe this debt out but he chooses not to. His perogative, of course. It's his money after all.  Just as it was his decisions that ultimately led us to this juncture.

As for your second point, the question isn't whether the bottle is there or not, it's whether we have the money.  Standing outside Pittodrie singing "Sack the Board" isn't going to do anything. Until someone comes up with the money to buy out his shareholding and can prove that they can take the club forward we are stuck with the guy, as much as it pains me to say it.

I don't know what the fuck was going through my head last night. In fact, no, I do alcohol infused blood cells and some dark thoughts.

I think what I'm suggesting there is at some point we have to come to the conclusion that this debt is going nowhere. How long do we have to trundle along putting up with shit. The most exciting thing about Fraser Fyvie is if we sell we'll get some money to pay off some of our debt. How depressing is that? The most exciting prospect since Jess and Booth and we're not thinking "WOW we could win the the league with this guy", we're thinking "WOW he could be worth £5 million, that's almost half our debt in one fell swoop".

Is administration and the threat of relegation that much worse than what we currently put up with?

The only negative I can see at this moment in time is losing these players for a fraction of their worth, but if we are only ever likely to see a fraction of what they're worth because of the debt situation, would we be any worse off?

I don't know what the fuck was going through my head last night. In fact, no, I do alcohol infused blood cells and some dark thoughts.

I think what I'm suggesting there is at some point we have to come to the conclusion that this debt is going nowhere. How long do we have to trundle along putting up with shit. The most exciting thing about Fraser Fyvie is if we sell we'll get some money to pay off some of our debt. How depressing is that? The most exciting prospect since Jess and Booth and we're not thinking "WOW we could win the the league with this guy", we're thinking "WOW he could be worth £5 million, that's almost half our debt in one fell swoop".

Of course it's depressing but it's a two way street.  We can't just decide that Fraser Fyvie won't be sold and will stay with us forever. There has to be some level of reality in our thoughts. If he turns out to be as good as we think he could be, he'll grow out of our league unfortunately and will want to play for a bigger club in a better league. And unfortunately the best thing for us in this situation is to sell when we think the price is at its highest.

Is administration and the threat of relegation that much worse than what we currently put up with?

The only negative I can see at this moment in time is losing these players for a fraction of their worth, but if we are only ever likely to see a fraction of what they're worth because of the debt situation, would we be any worse off?

There's nothing set in stone that we will lose these guys for a fraction of what they're worth. If, for example, we sold Fyvie in 3 years time for £5m with sell on clauses, appearance clauses etc... could we really say that isn't a good deal?  Of course, we have fucked these things up in the past, but we look to be changing that around now with getting young players on good contracts, getting £600k for Lee Miller when he only had a contract with us til the summer.

Things are shite at the moment, but I certainly don't see any positives from going into administration or being on the brink of relegation.

Part of me wishes the board (i.e. Milne) would take a "speculate to accumulate" attitude by helping the manager out with considerable funds for new players.  But another part of me knows where that could lead us.  This is all probably for another thread right enough, but there's no quick solution to this, unless some kind soul donates £30m to us overnight.

I

This is a football problem rather than just an Aberdeen FC problem.

The thought of both administration and relegation is starting to grow on me (I’d like to emphasise the word slowly there)

We always want to compare ourself to Hibs youth setup, and the fruit it is baring, so why not go the whole hog and do what they did 10ish years ago?

We’re currently going nowhere fast, and in all honesty if we finish 5th or 11th in the league it’ll make absolutely no difference to me, not in Europe, not relegated, just existing- oh joy!

Administration, we could wipe off large parts of our debt, hopefully oust the board and get a new more dynamic (or even just less shit) board in, bin Miller and his £7million a day pay cheque, and if we’re serious about moving stadiums, surely the administrator could force the sale of Pittodrie and we could go all Union Berlin and build our own stadium on a field somewhere (clearly the finer details of my plan need to be ironed out)

Relegation, so what? Any worse than just existing? Not really. Hibs went down, now look at them? McGhee is saying to stick with him for the long term, if that includes going down for a year so be it. Yes, we might loose players on the cheap, etc. But playing at a lower level, surely we could get rid of all the ‘deadwood’ and play almost an entire youth team, so when they got back to the SPL they’d all have a years worth of experience, instead of just being thrown in at the deep end?

Although, carrying out a plan like this (ie. A better planned one) would involve planning, something our entire board is completely inept at performing.

But a 10 year plan that left us with almost no debt, a nice modern stadium, some decent players and a better board. Sounds good to me!

Now where did I put my tin hat :-\