McGhee on the "You're not fit to wear the shirt" chants

Got to say I agree with Slim, the comments have done nothing but show the club in a bad light. I can't see what he was trying to achieve by this, maybe he had a plan, but the way the words came out could have very negative repercussions.

Reporting Scotland were able to do a 'Dons fans are scum / morons' feature, with direct quotes to that effect from our own manager.

1 out of 10 for that performance Mark, must try harder.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MMG should be happy there are still so many passionate Dons fans who really care so much, especially after all the crap we've been through in the last 10 years or so!

Stop fucking whining about it Mark and use it positively! Get us cheering!

Trust me I'd rather be hoarse from cheering than moaning, and I'm sure 99% of Dons fans are the same!

The booing and chants were perhaps a little excessive and over the top but they have to be put in context. If this was the first bad performance this season or the first near-miss against lower league opposition then the extent of the vitriol directed at numerous players and the manager (and other fans) would seem strange.

However, this follows on from defeats to Queen's Park, Queen of the South, Dunfermline and Dundee recently, all lower league sides of varying ability.  On top of this we have suffered cup humiliation at the hands of Killie and United among others.  Added to that we had imploded completely over the preceding week from a side seemingly up to one destroyed by Motherwell and beaten by the worst Falkirk side in years breaking a 50+ year record in the process.  What does he expect us to do?  Politely applaud.

While I see that it might be good for our precious players who might get upset at this behaviour from the fans but surely he is better saying nothing at all, rather than following our previous manager and our Director of Football and criticising fans who turned up in large numbers and did (initially) give the team superb backing

After reading his quotes on the BBC site, he can shut the fuck up and get on with his job.

Well said, I have just read his comments on the BBC website and I am in a state of shock ...... what a tube. I get the impression that he doesn't want to be here anymore. Just an inkling maybe, but there is definitely disharmony there.

"The fans are desperate for success, it's been a while for them and frustration does creep in, they're crying out for someone to stand up and be a hero for them and I truly believe we'll get there, we just need to work together and have a little patience because it'll be worth it in the end, we'll give them a team they can be proud of and their continued support will make it easier for that to happen."

Slim, that is very well worded, you should apply to be MM's PA .... ;D

Well said, I have just read his comments on the BBC website and I am in a state of shock ...... what a tube. I get the impression that he doesn't want to be here anymore. Just an inkling maybe, but there is definitely disharmony there.

Its even worse watching the video, his face contorted with rage, the report makes it look like he praised the fans turning out at Raith but it was only when the interviewer said to him about having enough passionate fans to turn up like that he bothered commenting.

I'm really pissed off at his comments at the moment but no doubt after sleeping on it I will think differently.

Just sent an email to the club. Let's see if I get anything back.

To whom it may concern.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my dissatisfaction with the tone and content of the interview given by Mark McGhee that was published on the BBC website on the 9th February 2010.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8506969.stm

As an Aberdeen FC supporter, season ticket holder and shareholder I do not feel that I need to explain the reasons behind my dissatisfaction, suffice to say that the interview could have, and should have gone in an entirely different direction.

To quote one of my colleagues on www.donstalk.co.uk, the interview, in my humble opinion would have struck a positive chord with the majority of "Dons" supporters if Mark had stated something along the following lines:

"The fans are desperate for success, it's been a while for them and frustration does creep in, they're crying out for someone to stand up and be a hero for them and I truly believe we'll get there, we just need to work together and have a little patience because it'll be worth it in the end, we'll give them a team they can be proud of and their continued support will make it easier for that to happen."

I look forward to receiving a reply from Aberdeen FC via email concerning this topic that I have raised.

Regards,

19afc03

STAND FREE!!

I think he said a lot of things in the heat of the moment that he'd probably have rather not said or said differently. If anything at least he gives a shit and takes it personally when things aren't going well. However maybe that's not an advantage. I doubt Fergie really gave much of a shit what Aberdeen fans thought about him or his players. I do think Fergie would've tried to create a siege mentality though and it seems like that's what Dingus is attempting to do.

The problem is the media generally either view Aberdeen as an irrelevance, through rose tinted specs, or consistently harshly. Lack of balanced, unbiased journalism means there's no real leverage to create the siege mentality unless it's the aberdeen fans that are being used as the 'them' in the 'us and them' game.

One other point though. If all that was him speaking from the heart then what I'm trying to do, I don't know if educate is the right word, but certainly persuade him, that hey, sometimes when thousands of boozed up football fans start howling abuse it's not so much a deliberate assault on the people their venting specifically names, as it is a general release of frustration and angst. A howling at the moon type of rage that is better letting out at the time instead of bottling it up until it finds a less socially acceptable way of releasing itself later on.

Performances like that one would best be met with priimal screaming rather than actual words, but civilization has evolved us beyond that point. Those most culpable (the players who don't perform and the man ultimately responsible for the players) will inevitably bear the brunt of that outlet of emotion. Criticising the fans for the sake of critism alone is redundant, if it's for the purpose of motivating the players then fine, if on the other hand it's a means to create an excuse (fan induced lack of confidence) for getting pumped by hibs and celtic then that is less acceptable in my mind...though probably the smart thing for a manager to do.

I think he said a lot of things in the heat of the moment that he'd probably have rather not said or said differently. If anything at least he gives a shit and takes it personally when things aren't going well. However maybe that's not an advantage. I doubt Fergie really gave much of a shit what Aberdeen fans thought about him or his players. I do think Fergie would've tried to create a siege mentality though and it seems like that's what Dingus is attempting to do.

The problem is the media generally either view Aberdeen as an irrelevance, through rose tinted specs, or consistently harshly. Lack of balanced, unbiased journalism means there's no real leverage to create the siege mentality unless it's the aberdeen fans that are being used as the 'them' in the 'us and them' game.

One other point though. If all that was him speaking from the heart then what I'm trying to do, I don't know if educate is the right word, but certainly persuade him, that hey, sometimes when thousands of boozed up football fans start howling abuse it's not so much a deliberate assault on the people their venting specifically names, as it is a general release of frustration and angst. A howling at the moon type of rage that is better letting out at the time instead of bottling it up until it finds a less socially acceptable way of releasing itself later on.

Performances like that one would best be met with priimal screaming rather than actual words, but civilization has evolved us beyond that point. Those most culpable (the players who don't perform and the man ultimately responsible for the players) will inevitably bear the brunt of that outlet of emotion. Criticising the fans for the sake of critism alone is redundant, if it's for the purpose of motivating the players then fine, if on the other hand it's a means to create an excuse (fan induced lack of confidence) for getting pumped by hibs and celtic then that is less acceptable in my mind...though probably the smart thing for a manager to do.

here, here & well said

It is interesting that he uses Mackie as the example. Obviously Mackie is in a fairly good run of form so saying that we're booing the decision to take him off doesn't dent the confidence of the player.  However, he's not mentioned specifically those players who were getting it in the neck and I suppose this is his way of defending them, and I think that's fair enough.

The way he's said these things though is none too wise.  He's desperate to succeed, but he has to keep in mind that those booing, whether they're right to or not, are just as desperate for us to succeed as he is. 

Fatjim, maybe the word "shock" was excessive but i still believe that things were said that should not have been in my opinion.

MaverickSheep summed it up well with "sometimes when thousands of boozed up football fans start howling abuse it's not so much a deliberate assault on the people their venting specifically names, as it is a general release of frustration and angst"

STAND FREE!!

What is that letter going to achieve? Should they sack the manager and cost us more money? Are you telling a man who has been in fitba all his life how to do his job? If he does chuck it who on earth would want the post? The club is on a slippery slope and us giving the players dogs abuse is going to make matters worse.  It is fucking unacceptable to boo an individual player for being gash.  Im sure they arent trying to be shite!  Gie the cunts a break.

What is that letter going to achieve? Should they sack the manager and cost us more money? Are you telling a man who has been in fitba all his life how to do his job? If he does chuck it who on earth would want the post? The club is on a slippery slope and us giving the players dogs abuse is going to make matters worse.  It is fucking unacceptable to boo an individual player for being gash.  Im sure they arent trying to be shite!  Gie the cunts a break.

As someone who has paid their money to follow the "Dons" over the last 25 years, I am entitled to my opinion, as you are too. This is a forum for Aberdeen FC, and I thought rightly or wrongly that some people may have been interested that I took exception to the interview.

Do AFC employ any kind of PR or "spin-doctor"?  As that's back to back managers now, doing more harm than good in terms of relationships with the fans, with their comments to the press.

I know the young players get media training, but should managers really need someone to tell them "Don't shit on your own doorstep"?

I don't give a fuck how upset McGhee is about the fans reaction - so many folk said to me on Saturday if we had lost they wouldn't be back again this season - I am sure he would rather we were there than not at all

How does he think the players felt when he made it obvious before he took the fucking job that he would rather be at Celtic  >:D

He should have been apologising for the crap way they all played in my opinion and also for appointing that abomination of a fucking captain  >:D

I don't give a fuck how upset McGhee is about the fans reaction - so many folk said to me on Saturday if we had lost they wouldn't be back again this season - I am sure he would rather we were there than not at all

How does he think the players felt when he made it obvious before he took the fucking job that he would rather be at Celtic  >:D

He should have been apologising for the crap way they all played in my opinion and also for appointing that abomination of a fucking captain  >:D

Aye spot on. IF he came out in the press tomorrow and apologised fair play to him...But if he gives any more transitional crap

As someone who has paid their money to follow the "Dons" over the last 25 years, I am entitled to my opinion, as you are too. This is a forum for Aberdeen FC, and I thought rightly or wrongly that some people may have been interested that I took exception to the interview.

I am interested in your opinion! I dont agree with it thats all.  The general consensus on the site prior to his interview was that the supporters were a bit OTT on saturday so he wasn't inaccurate with his remarks.  Im pretty sure his comments will have the desired effect and the fans will hopefully think before shouting abuse at the next humping.  This interview was a bit of a risk but Im sure he felt it was worth taking.  He has had a couple of days to think it through   

I am interested in your opinion! I dont agree with it thats all.  The general consensus on the site prior to his interview was that the supporters were a bit OTT on saturday so he wasn't inaccurate with his remarks.  Im pretty sure his comments will have the desired effect and the fans will hopefully think before shouting abuse at the next humping.  This interview was a bit of a risk but Im sure he felt it was worth taking.  He has had a couple of days to think it through 

fair doos min ...

It just set him up for a hiding in 24hours if hibs pump us.