Aberdeen fans urged to back team in relegation battle

Zander Diamond has branded Aberdeen's Scottish Premier League game against relegation-threatened Falkirk as probably the biggest of his career.

The 24-year-old defender has spent his entire seven-year professional career at Pittodrie and cannot recall a more important fixture than Saturday's.

"There is more at stake in this game and hopefully we can come through the other side," he said.

"We've not got enough points to merit being away from the relegation battle."

The Dons have been sucked into a relegation battle and defeat on Saturday would see rock-bottom Falkirk close to within three points.

"We're in the bottom six," said Diamond. "The whole dressing-room has got to realise that we are in a relegation tussle and we're the only ones who can get ourselves out.

It's not just this game; it's the next five games and what we need out of those five games

Diamond has told his team-mates to forget about trying to play pretty football, warning them to expect "a battle".

"From one to 11, we need to be prepared for it, mentally, physically," he said.

"We need to do the dirty side of the game and hopefully pull away from it."

Aberdeen have spent all week trying to rally their supporters in a bid to ensure a bumper turnout at Pittodrie.

Asked what his message would be to the fans, Diamond said: "Apologise for the season we've had already, but hopefully we can get the three points and build for next season.

"We just need to get ourselves out of the rut we're in now."

Manager Mark McGhee reckons Sunday's defeat by St Johnstone finally convinced his players they were in real danger of going down.

"Some of the players until after the St Johnstone game hadn't really believed that we were in this position," he said.

"I think that has dawned on them."

Like Diamond, McGhee believes Saturday's match is among the most important of his career.

"It's not just this game; it's the next five games and what we need out of those five games," he said.

"Obviously, we all hope that we get what we need tomorrow.

"It's as important as any situation I've ever been in.

"I'll have to find some sort of message for them before they go out on to the pitch.

"Clearly, whatever message I've been getting through to them hasn't lasted.

"There's more to it than just a fancy message from me. We've all got to dig deep inside, but I will be putting a message to them which will hopefully see them go on to win the game.

"The way I've prepared them is not to expect it to be easy.

"Don't expect to win tomorrow and for it to be all over.

"That's the dream ticket and it might happen, of course, but just imagine we're going to have to dig in for five games and stay focused until it's over."

about fuckin time ;)

I wonder how many of those who moan about Miller being at the club, were in the Beach Ballroom urging him to get back involved in the club.

Hindsight and all that, min! When Willie was taken back to the club by Wiggy, I was sure this was the next best thing to ousting Stewart Milne! Having the legend of all Dons legends running the footballing side of the club was, in my view, a complete no-brainer and a recipe for success. How was I or anyone else who shared my views to know he'd contribute the square-root of fuckall to the club?

Hindsight and all that, min! When Willie was taken back to the club by Wiggy, I was sure this was the next best thing to ousting Stewart Milne! Having the legend of all Dons legends running the footballing side of the club was, in my view, a complete no-brainer and a recipe for success. How was I or anyone else who shared my views to know he'd contribute the square-root of fuckall to the club?

And what basis do you have for saying that Reekie?

its been talked about and i've heard rumours that he contributes nothing, but, does anyone have any evidence of this?

what are his duties at the club?

how do we know if he is carrying out his duties in accordance with his terms of employment?

Sorry RR, that just sounds like uninformed nonsense.

So now its impossible to be relegated will we see a return to 7000 crowds for the other 2 home games?

Ive only got 1 game left this season and its on the last day

Must admit I walked away thinking that may be it for me this season, last two games i've left early out of total boredom. That game had 1-0 written all over it. See what happens over the next few weeks but defo won't be at St Johnstone next week.

I think I must have worked this out wrong but how are we safe from relegation?

If Falkirk win all of their matches accept the one against St Mirren, And St Mirren win all of their matches accept the one against Kilmarnock, and Kilmarnock win all of their matches accept the one against Falkirk, and Aberdeen lose all of their remaining matches then couldn't Aberdeen still go down on goal difference?

I know that's highly unlikely, but it still possible is it not?

I think I must have worked this out wrong but how are we safe from relegation?

If Falkirk win all of their matches accept the one against St Mirren, And St Mirren win all of their matches accept the one against Kilmarnock, and Kilmarnock win all of their matches accept the one against Falkirk, and Aberdeen lose all of their remaining matches then couldn't Aberdeen still go down on goal difference?

I know that's highly unlikely, but it still possible is it not?

Killie play St Mirren next week - you have both of them winning the rest of their games other than the Falkirk match

You don't work in Asda do you  ;)

Killie play St Mirren next week - you have both of them winning the rest of their games other than the Falkirk match

You don't work in Asda do you  ;)

I must be missing something.

Radio and McGhee said it was but when I sat and looked at it I think it is still possible, though very unlikely. All the games would have to go against us and Aberdeen's goal difference is nine ahead of Falkirk's, so it would mean there would have to be a few goals dropped by Aberdeen/gained by Falkirk, more than just Aberdeen losing each game by a single goal and Falkirk winning each one with a single goal, I think.

It seems extremely unlikely, a point would be guaranteed safety.

We lose all remaining games, finish on 37 pts.

St Mirren and Killie lose to falkirk but beat everyone else, both have 35 pts excluding playing each other. Therefore, either one has 38 and the other 35, or both 36 after playing each other.

Falkirk beat everyone they play, finish on 40 pts and killie or st mirren can't better 36 (or 38 and 35). If falkirk draw with the loser of killie v st mirren then falkirk finish on 38, the winner of killie v st mirren finish on 38 and the loser (who draw with falkirk) finish on 36. If Falkirk draw with BOTH killie and st mirren then falkirk can only reach 36pts.

So whatever happens we can't finish bottom.

It is unlikely, but we can still go down.

We need another point to be mathematically unreachable.

Saturday, 24 April 2010

Falkirk 2-0 Hamilton

St Johnstone 2-0 Aberdeen

St Mirren 1-0 Kilmarnock

Saturday, 1 May 2010

Aberdeen 0-2 Hamilton

Falkirk 2-0 St Mirren

Kilmarnock 1-0 St Johnstone

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Aberdeen 0-1 Kilmarnock

Falkirk 2-0 St Johnstone

Hamilton 0-1 St Mirren

Saturday, 8 May 2010

Kilmarnock 1-0 Falkirk

St Johnstone 1-1 Hamilton

St Mirren 2-0 Aberdeen

PldGDPts
7St Johnstone38-546
8Hamilton38-1243
9St Mirren38-1138
10Kilmarnock38-1938
11Falkirk38-2037
12Aberdeen38-2137

cheers nellie. I'd left out what happens if falkirk beat the winner of mirren v killie but lose to the team that lose it.

When you look at those results it's not unrealistic that it could happen. It doesn't involve any 5-0 results. I'm pissed off that the journalism is so mickey mouse. If it was epl it would've been calculated and broadcast over and over on ss news. Also slightly worrying that our own fucking manager hadn't done the maths.

It is unlikely, but we can still go down.

We need another point to be mathematically unreachable.

Saturday, 24 April 2010

Falkirk 2-0 Hamilton

St Johnstone 2-0 Aberdeen

St Mirren 1-0 Kilmarnock

Saturday, 1 May 2010

Aberdeen 0-2 Hamilton

Falkirk 2-0 St Mirren

Kilmarnock 1-0 St Johnstone

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Aberdeen 0-1 Kilmarnock

Falkirk 2-0 St Johnstone

Hamilton 0-1 St Mirren

Saturday, 8 May 2010

Kilmarnock 1-0 Falkirk

St Johnstone 1-1 Hamilton

St Mirren 2-0 Aberdeen

PldGDPts
7St Johnstone38-546
8Hamilton38-1243
9St Mirren38-1138
10Kilmarnock38-1938
11Falkirk38-2037
12Aberdeen38-2137

Yeah that's the way I was looking at it. Seems unlikely but still possible.