Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Top Ten Games at Pittodrie (according to RedWeb)

TOP TEN GAMES AT PITTODRIE

Hopefully Saturday will be another memorable occasion for the Red Army. Kevin Stirling looks back and picks out the games which he thinks are the best ever played at Pittodrie.

(1) ECWC Quarter Final March 1983

Aberdeen 3:2 Bayern Munich

Apart from being the most memorable match the old stadium has ever seen, its importance was not lost on anyone in Aberdeen. In European terms this was uncharted territory for the Dons - progress to a European semi final achieved. For the best part of an hour Pittodrie was silenced as Bayern twice took the lead but the fact that Aberdeen scored twice in a minute to swing the tie in their favour was remarkable. The manner of their victory and the subsequent joyous outpouring from the terraces following this win will remain the fondest of memories for all who were lucky enough to be at Pittodrie that night.

(2) ECWC Semi Final April 1983

Aberdeen 5:1 Waterschei

Not the most glamorous of opponents but the very fact that it was a European semi final brought about fantastic scenes at Pittodrie. While many younger Dons fans can only dream about what was achieved back in 1983, this was as real as it gets. Aberdeen simply overwhelmed the Belgians from the start. All this in front of watching millions across 80 different countries. Never before or since, has the Dons profile been so high. It could not get any better than this.

(3) Premier League May 1995

Aberdeen 2:1 Dundee United

One of the most highly charged and critical matches in the Dons history. Old rivals Dundee United stood in the way of the Dons and their very survival. A packed Pittodrie gave the Dons unprecedented backing as Dodds and Shearer did the business. The crescendo of noise prevailed throughout and the roars of relief at time up were heard all the way up Union Street. Never before, and certainly not since, has the Red Army had to answer the call like they did that day. The Aberdeen victory virtually consigned United to the First Division and there were few tears shed for them after this one.

(4) Premier League May 1980

Aberdeen 2:0 St Mirren

A carnival atmosphere surrounded Pittodrie as the local Students' Parade was in full flow. Fortunately for the Dons so was the team as they overcame third placed St Mirren to keep a first Premier title firmly in their sights. In what was the Dons' last home game of the campaign, Aberdeen knew that victory would mean a win in the final game at Easter Road could take the championship. Once again a capacity Pittodrie crowd rejoiced in the May sunshine and the excitement generated reached fever pitch. The Dons were on the threshold of something special, and we knew it.

(5) European Super Cup Dec 1983

Aberdeen 2:0 SV Hamburg

A fitting end to a remarkable year and revenge over old adversaries Hamburg. The battle to be crowned the best in Europe attracted worldwide interest in the Dons. Following a merited draw in Germany, two second half goals gave Aberdeen a deserved victory and the right to be called Europe's finest. No other Scottish team has won the Super Cup, a fitting tribute to the side of '83.

(6) UEFA Cup Sep 1981

Aberdeen 3:1 Ipswich Town

Perhaps the night that Aberdeen came of age in Europe. After a superb display at Portman Road in the first leg, Ipswich boss Bobby Robson said that Aberdeen could not play any better in the return. They did, and the esteemed cup holders were sent back across the border wounded and battered by an Aberdeen side that gave Scottish football a huge boost against the Auld Enemy. A capacity crowd gave the Dons superb backing and two second half goals from Peter Weir proved crucial. Make no mistake, Ipswich at that time were a class act — UEFA Cup holders and second only in England to a Liverpool side that had no equal.

(7) UEFA CUP Group B 2007

Aberdeen 4:0 Copenhagen

A throwback to the 'good old days' as Aberdeen turned on the style with all the class and guile of that great side of the 1980's to crush Danish champions Copenhagen to progress to the UEFA Cup group stages for the first time in their history. A full house at Pittodrie; was noised up to the hilt and a second half show from Aberdeen as they hit four sensational goals in an attacking display of pace and power. That win offered a generation of Aberdeen supporters a taste of what it used to be like in those special 'European Nights' at the old stadium.

(8) Drybrough Cup Aug 1971

Aberdeen 2:1 Celtic

It is not very often that Aberdeen have had the opportunity to win a domestic trophy in their own back yard but this clash of the top two in Scotland was a classic, in the days when the Drybrough Cup was afforded far more prestige, this in its inaugural season. Goals from Dave Robb and a Joe Harper penalty gave the Dons the trophy. Skipper Martin Buchan was presented with the silverware from the Main Stand. The Dons continued to hold the Indian sign over Celtic.

(9) UEFA Cup Nov 1971

Aberdeen 1:1 Juventus

Maybe the first of those great European nights at Pittodrie. A 30,000 crowd packed in to the ground, unsurprising since it was not very often that the most expensive team in world football came calling. Juventus came with a two goal lead from the 1st leg and the Dons gave the Italian giants one big fright. The Dons came storming out and the renowned Italian defence had to be at their very best to hold them, though one piece of Joe Harper magic brought the Dons the goal they richly deserved. For atmosphere this one took some beating.

(10) League Cup Quarter Final Sep 1966

Aberdeen 3:0 Morton

A shock selection perhaps but one that holds sentimental value for me as it was my first ever game at Pittodrie. The Dons had lost the 1st leg 3-1 at Cappielow and with five minutes left in the return, they were out. Jimmy Smith popped up to level the tie overall and before the crowd could draw breath Jens Petersen stepped up to hit a screamer from 30 yards in to the top corner in the last minute. The noise generated by the crowd remains a fond memory and I was hooked. When it was all said and done Aberdeen had qualified for their first semi final for seven years.

I take it he's previously said 2-0?

Always mind being there when we pumped them 3-0 the same season, can't believe we got dragged into a srap.

Yeah, and after previous publications (including Stand Free) i told the club it was 2-1 and was actually ridiculed for saying so.  But there you go...

Seems spot on to me and not full of the usual "beat a shit huns team 2-0 to achieve 4th place wohoo"

What about the 2-1 against Falkirk April 08 to seal top 6 and get that open top bus?

Can we nae leave this kind of bollocks to the appropriate forums. www.afc-hat.cock. Surely the whole point in this thread is to take our mind off the fact we are fucking shite; not to remind us that this squad, properly managed, should be achieving 4th place by beating the huns 2-0.

What about the 2-1 against Falkirk April 08 to seal top 6 and get that open top bus?

Can we nae leave this kind of bollocks to the appropriate forums. www.afc-hat.cock. Surely the whole point in this thread is to take our mind off the fact we are fucking shite; not to remind us that this squad, properly managed, should be achieving 4th place by beating the huns 2-0.

That wasn't quite what I meant, I just mean that people always talk about the recent rangers victories (circa last decade) and as enjoyable as they are I do not believe that they are up there with the great performances in our history and that they are over stated in terms of quality. Only one I wouldn't include is the 2-0 think it was 97 which all but stopped rangers winning the league.

Yeah, and after previous publications (including Stand Free) i told the club it was 2-1 and was actually ridiculed for saying so.  But there you go...

Aye some donkey scored for United. Craig I think. What a weekend that was. The build up to the game was charged and the atmosphere in town the night before the game was pretty mad with Aberdeen songs being sung all over the place. I somehow doubt the build up to the Falkirk game will get even close to matching that...too much water under the bridge since those days.

Aye some donkey scored for United. Craig I think. What a weekend that was. The build up to the game was charged and the atmosphere in town the night before the game was pretty mad with Aberdeen songs being sung all over the place. I somehow doubt the build up to the Falkirk game will get even close to matching that...too much water under the bridge since those days.

david craig? He was hellish. First division player if ever there was one  ;D

There was a lot of trouble after the game, a guy on our bus got a bottle to the eyeball. Nasty stuff.

Big Dunc's goal that today was tremendous!  :thumbsup:

I'd always remembered it as Robbie Winters who scored

I'd always remembered it as Robbie Winters who scored

Just checked, you're right Winters scored. Fck knows where I got Craig from.

I was fortunate enough to witness the congo round the United team bus with a sulking followed by an outraged Jim McLean.

david craig? He was hellish. First division player if ever there was one  ;D

There was a lot of trouble after the game, a guy on our bus got a bottle to the eyeball. Nasty stuff.

Big Dunc's goal that today was tremendous!  :thumbsup:

Was watching the video on YouTube a few days ago.

That goal really is brilliant.  Don't think we have anyone in the squad now that could do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at all 10 of those games - but there is 2 missing that I would put into the top 10;

Youth Cup Final 1985: Aberdeen 5-3 Celtic - came back from 3-0 to win the cup.

U21 Euro Championship 1992; Scotland 4-3 West Germany - came back from 3-1 down with 20 minutes to go.