Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Major Restructuring in the Pipeline for SPL

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League Restructuring and a Pyramid Structure for Scottish Football

At its meeting on 29th September,2011, the Professional Game Board agreed a five point plan to formally develop proposals for League restructuring: -

The merger of the Scottish Premier League and Scottish Football League to create a single league structure

An all through distribution model covering all 42 league clubs

The creation of an additional relegation / promotion place between the top division and the division below it

Enhanced parachute payments to soften the financial blow of relegation for clubs relegated out of the top division

A 'pyramid structure' that will open up access to SFL Division Three from below

Subsequent discussion by the Scottish FA Board of Directors, related to point 5 above, has reached broad consensus on the following "pyramid principles" -

The creation of a new Scottish FA "Highland" and "Lowland" Super League structure immediately below the SFL Third Division, comprising clubs from the existing structures of Scottish Highland Football League, East of Scotland League, South of Scotland League and Scottish Junior FA

Maintenance of the existing SHFL, ESL, SSL and SJFA League structures, immediately below the dual Super Leagues, with provision for existing Leagues to open membership to clubs within the Scottish Amateur FA

Promotion and relegation based upon sporting merit and the achievement of "club" standards as defined by National Club Licensing and the Scottish FA Quality Mark system

ln order to formally progress the development of the key principles above, the Professional Game Board is requested to approve the following actions: -

The commencement of formal consultation between the Scottish FA, SPL, SFL, Scottish Highland Football League, the East of Scotland League, the South of Scotland League and Scottish Junior FA regarding the composition and launch of a new dual "Super League" structure with effect from season 2014-15 (with club applications being sought from 2013-14)

An internal review of the National Club Licensing and Scottish FA Quality Mark services and resource supporting the proposed pyramid structure

The completion of a signed "Memorandum of Understanding" by all relevant League bodies and stakeholders giving formal commitment to the agreed principles of the new Pyramid Structure for Scottish Football

Stewart M. Regan

Chief Executive

October,2011

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All sounds pretty good in theory but putting it in place will be the fun part. Can see good few major hurdles to over come. Cannot see SPL clubs giving up any income or power to other clubs. Also suspect convincing some of the junior clubs and EOSL clubs to go to the cost of applying for the pro licence to join the new super leagues might not be as easy as SFA seem to think.

Aye, a lot of money in Junior Football is 'cash in hand', but as long as there weren't too many rules they might go for it. It's long overdue anyway, except we should be jetissoning 4 of the 40 into these regional leagues and go for 2 leagues of 18.

And extend the Scottish Cup way, way back like they do in England, starting the big teams a round earlier. Change the Junior Cup into every team under the 2 divisions.

Aberdeen FC’s Miller backing U20 league

Proposals to extend the U19s

By Sean Wallace

Published: 22/12/2011

ABERDEEN FC legend Willie Miller today backed the SPL plan to adopt an Under-20 league set-up for next season.

It is proposed the current U19 league be extended to U20 with the number of competitive games also increased.

First team players returning from injury or struggling to get a regular start will be eligible to compete in the U20 league. At present there is no outlet for over-age players returning from injury to get game time.

It's a Mark Wotte suggestion. He reckons Scotland is letting good players drop "out of the system" when they hit 20 as they can no longer play U19 football and might not be ready for the first team but are not far off.

The intention is that it will be players 20-23 playing with the u19's to continue their development, not particularly to give Darren Mackie a game.

• 1 month later...

Apparently from the Sunday Mail, the SPL are thinking of having a winter break next season, for two weeks in January.  Also in their infinite wisdom they are thinking of using this break to take four spl sides to dubai or new york to play in a tournament, the SPL Elite Cup.

Other plans are for the 4th Round of the cup to shift from Jan to Dec, season is starting in August (presumably so the OF can get their big money friendlies) and the Scottish Cup Final will be on a Sunday due to fixture congestion and a UEFA ruling that prevents us from having our cup final the same day as the European Cup Final.

• 1 month later...

Sportsound reporting that 10 SPL clubs are due to meet to discuss restructuring the league, neither Celtic or Rangers will be in attendance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17304341

All clubs in the Scottish Premier League, excluding Rangers and Celtic, will meet next week to discuss radical changes to Scottish football.

With Rangers in administration and facing going out of business, the clubs will discuss the voting structure.

They will also consider the distribution of income and the possibility of a 10-club second tier.

One SPL chairman told BBC Scotland: "This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change things."

The 10 non-Old Firm SPL clubs have long been unhappy with the distribution of income as it favours Rangers and Celtic, and also dislike an 11-1 majority requirement on major issues that they believe allows those two clubs to dictate change.

And an SPL2 has long been mooted and, in 2007, the 30 Scottish Football League clubs voted 22-8 to reject talks about forming a second tier of the SPL.

The SPL clubs reached agreement in January 2011 for a 10-team top league and a second tier of 12 teams, but that plan failed to materialise following growing opposition from clubs who preferred to expand the present top tier.

"We will be looking at a number of things," said the SPL club chairman. "Changing the voting structure will be part of that.

"We are at a crossroads and need to meet for the future of the game.

"This is the best chance in the last 25 years to stop the Old Firm's domination of the game.

"The distribution of income, a 12-club SPL and a 10-club top league below that, with more income for the clubs below, will all be discussed.

"We don't have a lot of time to plan. But, if we get the right plan in place, we can all go the same route."

It appears that support for changes is gathering pace with Rangers in danger of going into liquidation, which could at least lead to the club leaving the SPL or going out of existence completely.

Another leading chairman said: "With the Old Firm having talked in the past about leaving Scottish football, we have had to think about a future without them.

"Part of that situation could be about to come true, so we have had time to think about how we would get on without them."

Opportunities such as this don't come along to often.

The Huns are on their knees and right for a long overdue kicking

Take away the blue cheek, and the green cheek becomes seriously weakened. The blight on Scottish football known as the Old Firm have probably never been more vunerable.....please don't let this opportunity to stick it right up them.

OFGTF :thumbsup:

Please lets do the bigotted bastards

Opportunities such as this don't come along to often.

The Huns are on their knees and right for a long overdue kicking

Take away the blue cheek, and the green cheek becomes seriously weakened. The blight on Scottish football known as the Old Firm have probably never been more vunerable.....please don't let this opportunity to stick it right up them.

OFGTF :thumbsup:

Please lets do the bigotted bastards

I think there's a lot of support riding on this. I've read fans saying that if we bend over and pander (as we've always done) to the OF that they perhaps won't continue to watch Scottish football, which tbh be honest I can completely understand. We're disillusioned as it is and letting the Huns off with their cheating would be a bitter pill for any fan to swallow. I think the non OF SPL clubs have to get this right. And I don't think they will.

I fear this will end in even more Scots supporting/following other leagues or sports entirely instead of the SPL. Can't even promise that I won't be one of them.

tbh I can't see myself walking away from Scottish Football whatever the outcome.  I don't think we'll get what we want, but equally I don't think they will roll over completely for the OF.  The Old Firm have ruled the roost for 100 years, why walk away now when it doesn't change?

tbh I can't see myself walking away from Scottish Football whatever the outcome.  I don't think we'll get what we want, but equally I don't think they will roll over completely for the OF.  The Old Firm have ruled the roost for 100 years, why walk away now when it doesn't change?

Because it's not just about them being the best now that they've been shown up as the cheating cunts that they are. (I say they because Celtic aren't much better. See Neil Lennon's ref conspiracy outburst that has undoubtedly got them many decisions since.) I could deal with them being better if they were better honestly but that's not the case. They've been robbing us and the rest of the SPL for years. And if the other 10 clubs decide that what they did is acceptable then what's the fucking point? They may talk and make noises about how it's not acceptable and time for change but their actions will speak louder than words.

as if this was ever going to happen:

SPL 10 not pursuing shared gate money

By Jim Spence BBC Scotland

An upcoming meeting of the 10 non-Old Firm Scottish Premier League clubs will not discuss a return to the sharing of gate money.

While a more even distribution of income is on the agenda, the sharing of gate receipts has never been discussed, according to one chairman.

"That is not what we want," he told BBC Scotland.

"We want money to be distributed better and money going into the division below for the benefit of all."

Around £1m is the figure the clubs have in mind to pay to the 10 clubs in an SPL2, should such a second tier be established.

Asked why Celtic and Rangers had not been invited to the meeting, the chairman said: "It's not all about Celtic and it's not all about Rangers.

"They have wanted out of the league for the last five years.

"Its not all about them. We need to look after all of us. I want change for the rest of Scottish football to benefit."

The same source also admitted that he thought that the top league could survive without Rangers, who are currently in administration.

Referring to the SPL's current television deal and the possibility of only one half of the Old Firm on offer, he said: "I think everyone knows that they [Rangers] will exist."

But he added: "All deals are negotiable. I think we can survive with one of them on a lesser TV deal."

Another SPL source pondered the likelihood of a top flight without Rangers next season.

"It's difficult to imagine it," he replied. "But if they were applying as a 'newco' we would need to see a very robust business plan for the future and we would need certain assurances.

"There would also probably have to be penalties for a few seasons."

Asked why Celtic and Rangers had not been invited to the meeting, the chairman said: "It's not all about Celtic and it's not all about Rangers.

"They have wanted out of the league for the last five years.

"Its not all about them. We need to look after all of us. I want change for the rest of Scottish football to benefit."

The same source also admitted that he thought that the top league could survive without Rangers, who are currently in administration.

Referring to the SPL's current television deal and the possibility of only one half of the Old Firm on offer, he said: "I think everyone knows that they [Rangers] will exist."

But he added: "All deals are negotiable. I think we can survive with one of them on a lesser TV deal."

Another SPL source pondered the likelihood of a top flight without Rangers next season.

"It's difficult to imagine it," he replied. "But if they were applying as a 'newco' we would need to see a very robust business plan for the future and we would need certain assurances.

"There would also probably have to be penalties for a few seasons."

Good stuff. Let's stick it to the cunts.

Their main, I think, will be to get spl2 up and running to give teams less of a drop of if relegated

But that's just creating a bigger divide amongst clubs. They could give the 1st division more cash if that's the road they want to go down, but because of this split between the different governing bodies they can't/wont do this.  They need to wise up and get one body overseeing the whole show.  who cares what the leagues are called?

Need to get rid of this Minimum capacity bullshit.

Clubs should be able to set their own capacity to live within their means and not to appease the old firm travelling support.

Hopefully that would see an end to clubs closing stands to save money (Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Airdrie, Clyde, St Johnstone, Livingston, Partick Thistle)

True although only County, QotS, Morton and Ayr currently don't meet the standards for the SPL and County are obviously addressing that in the summer so the ships already sailed on that one.

Remove the minimum capacity rule and the smaller clubs can start looking at ways to change their stadiums in their favour. Demolishing current stands and replacing them with training facilities, commercial/ retail/ residential buildings perhaps with small section of seating attached. See the Skonto Riga stadium built in 2000

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/latvia/riga_skonto.shtml

stad_skonto_fc_kvadr.jpg

If the clubs cant redevlop then they would also have the option of moving to a new smaller capacity stadium and sell of their old ground to fund it. I say small full stadiums beat large emtpy ones everytime

• 2 weeks later...
Civil war is threatening to break out in the Scottish Premier League, with Celtic at odds with their rivals over organisational reform.

The 10 clubs outside the Old Firm are to propose an alteration to the league's voting system at a special general meeting on 12 April.

They want a 9-3 decision to push through major change in Scotland's top flight rather than the current 11-1.

The 10 will also seek a more even distribution of revenue.

However, just how they intend to push through these proposals is unclear.

And Celtic are deeply unhappy with the suggested changes.

Sources close to the Parkhead club argue that the Old Firm contribute around 85% of the SPL's revenue, while they are disappointed by the other clubs getting together without consulting them.

Celtic fear that changes to the status quo could jeopardise future sponsorship deals

It has also been suggested that changes to the voting structure or distribution of income could threaten any takeover of Rangers, who are currently in the hands of administrators.

It is understood that potential buyers of the Ibrox club may be put off by any uncertainty over future revenue.

Asked whether the situation threatened potential civil war between the 10 and the Old Firm, one chairman told BBC Scotland: "It's not potential civil war. It's on."

Another chairman added: "I hope it doesn't end up in civil war. You have to ask why Celtic are so upset at changing to a 75% rule that would exist in many other businesses.

"Why are they scared of change and a 75% majority running the league? They will do all in their powers to control Scottish football. They have no concern for Scottish football, only themselves."

He added: "No clubs are of a mind to change the distribution of money that radically changes the situation to the disadvantage of Celtic and Rangers.

"But you have to ask them why do you really need this power?

"We must drive through change in the next 18 months or we will go backwards. What the ten must focus on is to shape the game going forward, to bring the change we know the game badly needs."

A third chairman told BBC Scotland: "The rest of us are fed up of the Old Firm. Forget Rangers for the moment since they are in administration, what we have here is one club dictating to the top end of Scottish football.

"They are not going anywhere, English football doesn't want them and they have done their damnedest to get out of Scotland for the last 10 years. Do they want to play in a league of two?

"We want to change the voting rights to be able to change the game for the better.

"We need to have a stronger championship or SPL2 in place. Relegation can cost clubs £1.5m and we need to provide a softer landing place. We want change for the good of all of Scottish football. This is about democratic change."