Major Restructuring in the Pipeline for SPL

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 10 clubs out to alter the Scottish Premier League's voting structure are determined to stick together, according to one chairman.

All 12 top flight clubs will meet on Thursday to discuss a resolution to replace the current 11-1 required to effect major changes with a 9-3 ballot.

SPL chairman Ralph Topping has urged the 10 to think again.

But the source said: "Not one club has suggested withdrawing the resolution. That should tell you something."

In a leaked letter seen by BBC Scotland last week, Topping asked if the 10 wished to retract their resolution , since Rangers' administrators had said they would vote with Celtic to maintain the status quo.

Topping also suggested that the internal rift is damaging to the league's commercial future.

"Of course as clubs we don't agree on everything, but we are much more together than some people would have you believe," added the chairman, who does not want to be named.

"We won't be driven apart on this. We are determined to stick together.

"No one knows where Rangers will end up from their current situation. This is our opportunity to change things once and for all.

"Given Rangers' current state it is a disgrace that their administrator can even have a vote on such matters."

The source also rubbished claims that the row between the 10 and Celtic and Rangers was potentially damaging to the SPL.

"There are commercial people who want to be involved in sponsoring the SPL and I do not believe the suggestions that Sky would not continue with their deal," added the chairman.

"We won't be driven apart on our aims. This change is needed for the good of Scottish football."

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one thinking that a 9-3 ballot is almost as much a waste of time as a 10-2 ballot?

Say for instance one club cements itself as the 3rd placed club for a few seasons, they'll end up siding with the OF to get the league as they want it, again monopolizing (tripopolizing?) the league to further their own stature.

Or a club who might be fighting relegation or fending off administrators might become OF lapdogs to so that they can feed off their swelled gates a couple times a season to help them stay in the league.  Wouldn't put it past the OF to loan them a few fringe players under the grounds of 'first team action' to effectively buy their vote.

8-4 makes more sense to me.

Any company would be foolish to invest in the SPL whilst too many issues are up in the air at the moment.

Get the current set-up to fuck, redraw new plans with fresh ideas and the investors and sponsors will flood in.

This.

http://www.supporters-direct.org/news/item.asp?n=14911

Supporters Direct Scotland, the voice of football supporters’ trusts in Scotland, today publishes The Fans’ Plan – key recommendations to shape the future of Scottish league football based on the results of supporters’ surveys over the past two years and a detailed analysis of the issues facing the game.

The Fans’ Plan calls for:

greater competition within Scottish league football structures

equal funding for each team in a league

support for clubs by central league management to increase the average attendance over a season of 20% by 2016, and achieve an average stadium capacity utilisation of 65% within 10 years

two leagues of 16 teams, and a qualifying league of 10

re-introducing the League Cup, with a mini-league qualifying format structured on a geographical basis with four teams in each group

improved training and professional development for all players including greater use of Modern Apprenticeships and post-career planning

the establishment and implementation of a strong club licensing scheme

SDS spokesperson, Alan Harris commented: “The future of Scottish league football lies in the hands of its supporters and Supporters Direct Scotland has gathered the views of fans for the past two years: the most comprehensive surveys of football supporters in recent times. Fans are clearly telling us, we want more competition, more even distribution of funds among clubs, investment in the game, especially developing its talent from grassroots, and a greater say for supporters in clubs and national football.”

Alan Harris added: “Our approach is fairly simple. It’s about creating a virtuous circle for the long-term benefit of Scottish football. Too much of the present has been driven by short-term fixes and quick wins. However, that approach is unravelling at every level of the game. The time is right to re-build the foundations of the game in Scotland. We are proposing that a combination of league re-structuring, a re-formatted League Cup and more even distribution of development funds, can continue to attract the all-important television sponsorship, create more competition between clubs and widen the game’s attraction to bring supporters back. This is our path to the more sustainable development of Scottish league football.”

Executive summary: http://clients.squareeye.net/uploads/sd/The_Fans_Plan_Executive_Summary_Final_AG__ASH_19.03.2012.pdf

What do folk think of the League Cup idea?  My computer isn't opening the pdf for some reason but I understand they would be suggesting, for example, a league cup group of Aberdeen, United, Dundee and Saints.  Would this cover the loss of home league matches caused by the change to 16-team league (30 game season)?  I was going to say it was doubtful but I suppose if they opened the season with these "derby" games, in good weather you might see some decent crowds.

League cup was originally played in groups and was scrapped because nobody turned up to watch them. Cannot see why that would change now.

They scrapped the original group thing in season 1982-83 (first round was made up of groups - Our group was  Dons, Dumbarton, Dundee & Morton)

They then changed it in 1983-84 so that the group stage was brought in at Round 3 - Dons, Dundee, Meadowbank Thistle & St Johnstone.

Scrapped completely in season 1984-85 but kept the 2 legged Semi-finals until the following season.

Maybe we could do what the Germans apparenlty do - Team from lower division is always given home advantage no mater who comes out of the hat first and all games are played to a finish - this should apply to the scottish cup too.

U20 League Next Season:

At today's SPL General Meeting, SPL clubs unanimously approved the introduction of an Under 20 League from season 2012/13.

The introduction of the Under 20 League forms an important part of Scottish FA Performance Director Mark Wotte's review of the Elite Player Pathway.

All SPL clubs will participate in the Under 20 League and the SPL Board may also permit a club or clubs in the SFL to participate in the Under 20 League. SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster

Neil Doncaster, SPL Chief Executive, said: "Providing the right platform for developing young Scottish players is vital for the whole of Scottish football and I am delighted to announce the introduction of an Under 20 League from next season. Working in conjunction with the Scottish FA, I would hope this goes someway to reducing the development gap between the current Under 19 League and the Clydesdale Bank Premier League to better equip young players for the demands of first team football and aiding the development of more and better young Scottish players for the Scotland national team."

Mark Wotte, Scottish FA Performance Director: "I am delighted at the decision of the SPL clubs today to approve the introduction of the Under-20 League. This is a fundamental part of the Scottish FA's Performance Strategy and it will be vital in bridging the gap between the current under-19s and the first-team squads.

"I am hugely encouraged by the positive discussions that have taken place between the SPL and the Scottish FA and, in particular, the support of the clubs' Heads of Youth and chairmen during the period of consultation."

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA Chief Executive: "Today's decision is a major step forward in the football bodies working together in the best interests of the game. Mark Wotte has identified the Under-20 League as a key driver of the Performance Strategy and I am delighted the clubs share his vision."

The Scottish Premier League has delayed a decision on proposed voting reform until 30 April.

A vote was expected when the SPL board arranged a meeting for Thursday after 10 clubs called for the 11-1 majority for major changes to be reduced to 9-3.

Celtic are firmly opposed to the suggested alteration and Rangers' administrators are likely to support the SPL champions on this issue.

Clubs did agree to the formulation of a new Under-20 league.

SPL clubs will also consider new proposals for financial fair play at the 30 April gathering.

Earlier this month, SPL chairman Ralph Topping claimed that two potential sponsors have pulled out because of recent events and bad publicity.

Topping urged the 10 clubs to withdraw their attempt to change the voting structure, suggesting it is damaging its commercial future.

The topic will be debated further at Thursday's meeting. However, Johnston said the non-Old Firm clubs will not abandon plans to push through change.

"We're certainly not giving up on it," he said.

"It remains to be seen what happens with Rangers, who the preferred bidder is going to be.

"Hopefully there will be some constructive talks about the voting structure when that is known.

"I think it's the majority of the clubs who are behind the move to change the voting structure. That remains on the table."

Asked how the 10 clubs intend to push through the changes when a 11-1 vote is needed to scrap the current voting structure, Johnston said: "Hopefully through gentle persuasion and the fact that we are looking for a more democratic process.

"That should appeal to anyone.

"I don't think anyone should be worried about having a 75% majority to make major decisions.

"I think it's a perfectly good, sound proposal and there's nothing undemocratic about it.

"It's not going to cause any major worries for anyone who has the best interests of Scottish football in mind."

There was agreement at Thursday's meeting, with clubs unanimously approving the introduction of an Under-20 league from next season.

"Providing the right platform for developing young Scottish players is vital," said SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster.

"Working in conjunction with the Scottish FA, I would hope this goes someway to reducing the development gap between the current Under 19 League and the Clydesdale Bank Premier League to better equip young players for the demands of first team football and aiding the development of more and better young Scottish players for the Scotland national team."

From Jim Spence on Twitter:

The SFA is considering setting up a Scottish national league to replace the SPL and the SFL. full story on Sportsound 810 mw 6.10pm

Then of course we will also have the Scottish Major League and at the end of the season the best teams from each will meet each other in Best of 7 playoffs for the WORLD SERIES!!!!!

From Jim Spence on Twitter:

The SFA is considering setting up a Scottish national league to replace the SPL and the SFL. full story on Sportsound 810 mw 6.10pm

Fantastic news and what fans have wanted all along. One league set up ran under one body. Hopefully this has some truth in it.

My first thought was this:

Fantastic news and what fans have wanted all along. One league set up ran under one body. Hopefully this has some truth in it.

Then I read the BBC article and I started to think like this;

Cynic in me says the SNFL will turn out to be run by a Mr Reagan and Mr Topping

Wouldn't be at all surprised if its another option to ensure the huns stay in the top league without any form of punishment and ensure the bulk of revenue is still split between the ugly sisters. The SPL Chairmen are raising questions about how much revenue is actually created by having an unfairly dominant OF compared to having an actual competitive league, so lets get a load of SFL Chairmen in who will vote for the untold wealth and riches the OF will bring to their struggling little clubs on their annual or biannual visit.

I may be way off the mark but...

It would almost be a benevolent act to bring two warring factions together for the good of Scottish football.

= Old Firm propaganda

There are clubs almost dying all round the country while nothing happens.

= The huns are dying and no one is helping them.

Certain teams are desperate to move the game on. There has been too much navel gazing going on.

= we're fed up of the SPL 10's posturing and we're not going to change anything