Other Transfer News

According to goal.com (it is also now on other websites) Arsenal are in talks with Barcelona to get David Villa.  Would be a fantastic signing for them, especially with Giroud starting to get to grips with the English game and Walcott scoring for fun at the moment.  Still, i guess it's still within Wenger's "one or two" jan signings policy  ;D

Butland turned down Chelsea and signed for stoke city. Refreshing to hear he'd turn the blue scum down for the right reasons. That'll definitely mean that begovic is off in the summer then.

Completely agree. The boy Butland is a good goalkeeper and this is a very good move by Stoke; I imagine all the big teams will be in for Begovic in the summer and it'll inflate his fee a bit.  Langfield plus cash will do me...

• 3 weeks later...

VEry good signing for them, it really is a shame we couldn't lure him up north :(

Part of me wants him to do really well (for scotland reasons), but most of me wants him to be a flop.

i know the connection to well is a significant factor, but the sad thing is how unrealistic it seemed that he'd join us in the first place.

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown was foiled in a late attempt to sign Scotland international midfielder James McFadden.

The former Everton player sealed a return to his first club Motherwell on Monday but Brown admitted he tried everything he could to persuade the 29-year-old to move to  Pittodrie.

Aberdeen’s vice-chairman George Yule had arranged to meet  McFadden, capped 48 times by Scotland, and his representatives in Glasgow yesterday, but the player opted to sign for the Steelmen instead.