Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Films

manc_don

I took my kids to see the New Star Wars and the Peanuts movie before Christmas.

New Star Wars amused me as it was original Star Wars rebooted without it having the stigma of being referred to as a reboot. My 10 year old lad enjoyed, my 8 year old daughter wanted to know how long was left after about 1/2 an hour.

Peanuts movie I wanted to know how long was left after less than 5 minutes.

Got an Amazon Fire stick for Christmas and proceeded to install Kodi and Spintztv (or similar). Then got moaned at for sitting down to watch Creed (as its not a Christmas Movie apparently). I enjoyed it, like star Wars its a reboot in all but name, although I suppose all the Rocky films are in a way. Vince Howard from Friday night Lights was good as Adonis. Nice touch using Andre Ward and Tony Bellew. The fight with Leo Sporino is well choreographed as were the sparring earlier in the film, just a shame the Pretty RiCky Conlon reverted to the traditional Rocky style of constant knock-out punches being landed with unrealistic results. 

Also watched Hateful 8 was really looking forward to it but finished it a little disappointed. It's a Tarantino film and its a western so it should have been right up my street. I preferred Django. Perhaps if I was American and could buy into the North South divides and racial tensions that simmer just under the surface of everyday American life I may have bought into the characters more, but I'm not so I didn't. I will give it another watch as I sat down to it after driving 600 miles in a day.

Oh and I watched Joy the story of the inventor of the magic mop...  Odd choice of a story, odd interest from A list actors in taking on roles in the film, odd kind of story telling, very odd family. Oddly enjoyable.

It's here. NO MORE SLEEPS. The Hateful 8 is in town.

For those of you who don't go tonight, you've got motivation and enthusiasm difficulties.

Don't give me the line about art appealing to some tastes and not others.

Tarantino has genius that most don't recognise. Cos most are stupid. It's in his dialogue.

It is such a peculiar and rare talent that he has and beautiful in its simplicity.

The rat catcher was amazing in his diction. QT's engagement of cold hard logic, coupled with the delivery style of highly motivated actors is phenomenal.

"Oblige him" was memorable but from his best movie, there were hundreds.

The Wolf (and Waltz) were the best at it.

Are they millionaires?

If self preservation is an instinct you possess... pretty please, with sugar on top...

All I need to hear from your black ass... get back in there, chill them niggers out and wait for the cavalry who will be coming directly.

This is America baby, names don't mean shit.

... and I don't want to get divorced, all right...

Does Marcellus Wallace look like a bitch?

I know how good my coffee is.

I didn't know that. Why would you?

There is no me and you.

... soon-to-be-living-the-rest-of-his-short-assed-life-in-agonising-pain rapist here

It's here. NO MORE SLEEPS. The Hateful 8 is in town.

For those of you who don't go tonight, you've got motivation and enthusiasm difficulties.

Don't give me the line about art appealing to some tastes and not others.

Tarantino has genius that most don't recognise. Cos most are stupid. It's in his dialogue.

It is such a peculiar and rare talent that he has and beautiful in its simplicity.

The rat catcher was amazing in his diction. QT's engagement of cold hard logic, coupled with the delivery style of highly motivated actors is phenomenal.

"Oblige him" was memorable but from his best movie, there were hundreds.

The Wolf (and Waltz) were the best at it.

Are they millionaires?

If self preservation is an instinct you possess... pretty please, with sugar on top...

All I need to hear from your black ass... get back in there, chill them niggers out and wait for the cavalry who will be coming directly.

This is America baby, names don't mean shit.

... and I don't want to get divorced, all right...

Does Marcellus Wallace look like a bitch?

I know how good my coffee is.

I didn't know that. Why would you?

There is no me and you.

... soon-to-be-living-the-rest-of-his-short-assed-life-in-agonising-pain rapist here

Agreed. One of my favourite scene with Waltz is when he's eating strudel with Shosanna.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hateful Eight but it's not showing at Cineworld and my unlimited card is for there.  :doh:

Agreed. One of my favourite scene with Waltz is when he's eating strudel with Shosanna.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hateful Eight but it's not showing at Cineworld and my unlimited card is for there.  :doh:

That is indeed a brilliant scene, as was the exchange with Von Hammersmark at the cinema.

Where's your commitment? My son has the same Cineworld card but he's still coming tonight. Oh yeah, I'm paying. For dinner too. Scrub that.

I've a lot of love for Tarantino movies though I wasn't overly impressed by Django Unchained.  I'll be interested to hear your thoughts Rocket.

I agree. Django was well behind his best work.

If any of you are big into QT films and are planning to go real soon, look away now.

>>>

I mean it, I'm going to give an opinion on his new film and you won't want to hear any prejudgements.

>>>

So take a hike, for your own sake.

>>>

In my opinion, he has three masterpieces, Pulp Fiction being the best and either Inglourious Basterds or Jackie Brown being his next best (depending on my mood), these three being streets ahead of anything else.

Django was enjoyable at the cinema when it came out but tellingly, I've never bothered to watch it since. I've even got it on the skybox but never got round to it yet. I probably preferred Kill Bill to Django, although Waltz is so damn good, he ups the ante. Reservoir Dogs is pretty enthralling too.

Now to the latest release.

Look away now I said...

>>>

Worst Tarantino movie of any of the above mentioned, by miles.

And this in my opinion was why.

Nothing happened. There was no plot, not even the hint of a decent story, neither a plotline on it's own merit or a series of themes being intermeshed and entwined together. It was a massive disappointment, we thought.

Tarantino threw together some outstanding actors including some of his big gun favourites but not even they could save a weak, weak script. There was the expected clever dialogue with pinpoint accuracy but without a half decent storyline or even a theme or themes (connected or otherwise) to follow, however tenuous or abstract, the whole thing was hugely underwhelming.

I'm glad I went because QT delivers a genre and a style that nobody else does so it was interesting and has a few laffs and some good acting - how could it not with some of that cast? 5.5 out of 10 for me where Pulp was a 10 and Jackie Brown and Inglourious was a 9.8 or a 9.75. Django would have got a 7.5 to 7.75 on my first and only viewing, possibly 8 thinking about it but nothing special.

What bugs me about QT is his overuse of gratuitous violence and fantasy fight sequences. Kill Bill was cheapened by that ridiculous, incredible and preposterous bloodbath that lasted way too long, and the great film that Bill was shaping up to be was therefore killed by this aspect although I thought the cartoon horror sequence with the kid under the bed worked well and was totally in context despite it being very extreme. Reservoir Dogs had some great severe violence as well but just too much of it just for the sake of it. The Hateful 8 has an overdose of shite like that, which in my view is designed to "be zany and graphically offend the squares" but completely fails. There wasn't one scene of violence out of place in his best 3 films. Even the shooting by Bob de Niro in the car park worked because the fucking bitch deserved it - LOOOO ISSS.

I know already I will NEVER watch The Hateful 8 ever again.

The force awakens.

I left the cinema feeling a sense of relief that it hadn't been fucked up. After the disappointment of the prequels this was a pleasant surprise. That said it was impossible not to be a little sad at one event in particular.

I almost left happy....then spotted the thank you to George Osborne at the very end of the credits. :hammer:

Other entertainment was the comic timing of someone's kid seconds before the film started.Literally 1 second before the star wars logo blazed onto the screen 'DADDY I NEED A PEE PEE!!!'

The body language of Dad as he got up said it all.

Usually try to avoid going to the cinema during the day on weekends/ school holidays but today wasn't as bad as it usually seems to be.

Unlike Rocket I thoroughly enjoyed Hateful Eight. You might want to only read below if you've already seen it or don't plan to watch it.

The dialogue, the actors and a special mention has to go to the sound track which all made it really good in my opinion. I'm not sure I agree with there being a lack of plot. There was a plot. And a good one at that. Although I do agree with Rocket regarding the violence. The gore is at times needlessly over the top and, to be honest, I don't really get it. But Unlike Rocket I don't find that it detracts from his movies. I was a wee bit disappointed that it petered out in the way it did. I was kinda hoping for a finale in Red Rock. Will definitely watch again.

Tim Roth was excellent. His performance reminded me of Waltz's performance in Django. Incidentally I enjoyed Django a lot more at the second time of viewing.

My daughter saw it with subtitles in France on Monday and really liked it, 8/10. My mate who I agree with on most things gave it 7/10 so as I said, definitely worth seeing. We discussed a couple of the scenes which were indeed quality and pretty hilarious but overall, I'm still not enthused. May have been expecting and looking forward to it too much.

Bridge of Spies - Brilliant film and it appears that the Stasi guy from Deutschland 83 has just continued his role.

Sicario - Excellent and very dark.

The Lobster - Enjoyed it but it's a very strange film

I went with my middle daughter and she said it was the weirdest film she had ever seen - as mentioned previously I absolutely loved it - I must have a very wicked sense of humour  ;D

I watched Jackie Brown for the 1st time the other night. Didn't think all that much of it to be honest! Very little "Tarantino" about it at all. Very ordinary film. Big disappointment. Not in the same sport (let alone ball park) as the like of Basterds, Django, Hateful Eight, Kill Bill and of course Pulp Fiction.

Unlike Rocket I thoroughly enjoyed Hateful Eight. You might want to only read below if you've already seen it or don't plan to watch it.

The dialogue, the actors and a special mention has to go to the sound track which all made it really good in my opinion. I'm not sure I agree with there being a lack of plot. There was a plot. And a good one at that. Although I do agree with Rocket regarding the violence. The gore is at times needlessly over the top and, to be honest, I don't really get it. But Unlike Rocket I don't find that it detracts from his movies. I was a wee bit disappointed that it petered out in the way it did. I was kinda hoping for a finale in Red Rock. Will definitely watch again.

Tim Roth was excellent. His performance reminded me of Waltz's performance in Django. Incidentally I enjoyed Django a lot more at the second time of viewing.

Agreed, went to see it on Tuesday night, enjoyed it. Think it helped that I was with a group of folk - perhaps a better vibe or some shite. I liked the violence, I think it's taken to such an extreme level that it becomes a parody of itself. Good one for the cinema I think, like most Tarantino films, he just provides something a little bit different that is worth leaving the house for.

Seeing the Revenant tonight, anyone seen it yet? Any good?

I enjoyed it very much. And tbh be honest it's rare for me to enjoy long films. It's harrowing but brilliantly acted. Tom Hardy will win an Oscar for it (best supporting actor). I hope Leo does too because he deserves one although he's had better performances in other films imo my opinion. (Django)

To conclude: It's nae as good a Hateful Eight but it is really good.

Seeing the Revenant tonight, anyone seen it yet? Any good?

If you report 8/10 or better, I'll go.

Been sitting on the fence on this. One of my best mates has seen it twice and loved it. Daughter no. 2 gave it 78/100 and said that I should go, particularly in that it's best appreciated on the big screen.

She was the one that I recommended not to bother with TH8, whereas my Rev-double-viewer mate gave TH8 7/10, more than I did. With daughter 1 giving it 8/10 and some posts above expressing positives about a film I considered a plodding bore (despite the excellence of the actors), it just reinforces what we already know and different strokes for different folks etc.

The trailer put me off The Revenant and it's getting mixed reviews. My instinct says I wouldn't be knocked out by it and I can't stand going to the movies to watch 7/10 or worse. I await your verdict sir!

Bizarre film, I'd give it a 7/10. Agree with you Tyrant about tom hardy, he was absolutely brilliant and should get an award for it. Di caprios role didn't really require much talking so again, agree that he's had better roles that were more deserving. The cinematography was outstanding as was the soundtrack but I can totally see why it divides opinion. Half of the folk I went with didn't enjoy it, partially because it was so bleak.

I'm swithering about The Revenant now as I've heard a lot of mixed reviews tho Leonardo is always worth a look  ;)

Saw Room last night - very good

Going to Fateless on Wednesday for Holocaust Memorial Day and either The Big Short or Spotlight at the weekend

Both Fateless and Spotlight were excellent