Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Student/Train Tickets

Tyrant

I made the point elsewhere that I believe the club will lose money over this. Aye they're within their rights to ask for student ID but a lot of folk simply can't pay full price and although they've conveniently waited until after the vast majority had purchased theirs I can see their sales taking a hit next season if folk know they won't get away with buying a student ticket. And I bet it's a fair few times £180!

As I said I think AFC have shot themselves in the foot a bit.

If all the fans were as honest and as up-standing as on here it wouldn't be a problem right enough.

Definitely - they should just make season tickets £180 for everyone  ::)

You'll be ok tho - with a blond wig and high heels you'll be able to pull off your student id  ;)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely - they should just make season tickets £180 for everyone  ::)

You'll be ok tho - with a blond wig and high heels you'll be able to pull off your student id  ;)

Well I've got my own so it's not a problem.

I think you're onto a winner though. Heaps of folk would buy season tickets at that price.

How many folk will now buy an adult ticket instead of "getting away" with a student one? £120 up for each that now pays what they should.

The price is high but what makes you think you should get it cheaper than anybody else? Just because someone paid what they were supposed to pay doesn't mean they are swimming in money.

You knew it was a risk getting a concession one when you arent eligable for one and it hasn't paid off.

How many folk will now buy an adult ticket instead of "getting away" with a student one? £120 up for each that now pays what they should.

The price is high but what makes you think you should get it cheaper than anybody else? Just because someone paid what they were supposed to pay doesn't mean they are swimming in money.

You knew it was a risk getting a concession one when you arent eligable for one and it hasn't paid off.

A few £120s better off this season, aye but like I said I'm not so sure about next. Aye we "should" always pay what we're meant to. It's hardly a foreign concept for people to find a way of saving a bit of cash. No one said anyone was swimming in money? ???

You're right, though. It was a risk and this season it didn't pay off. The last 2 or 3 seasons it did. Such is life.

Long may I rot in eternal hell for my shameful, shameful actions.  ::)

In my opinion, a couple of the people here seem to be missing the point.

The fact that AFC might be missing out on the odd season ticket purchase is irrelevant. If you are in a full time job, i.e. earning a lot more than a student, then you should pay full price. When I go to a game, I pay full price. That should be the same for everyone. I couldn't really give a fuck if you think you are 'helping the club out' by paying a student price instead of just not going, and therefroe giving the club nothing. That's not the point. It is quite simply unfair that an adult, who is employed and not a student, gets off with paying £120 less a season than someone else in the same situation.

I sincerely hope that those who get caught trying to get into the ground with unbder 12/student tickets, when they are neither under 12 or a student, have the option of paying for a full price ticket there and then, or their tickets ripped up at the gate.

In my opinion, a couple of the people here seem to be missing the point.

The fact that AFC might be missing out on the odd season ticket purchase is irrelevant. If you are in a full time job, i.e. earning a lot more than a student, then you should pay full price. When I go to a game, I pay full price. That should be the same for everyone. I couldn't really give a fuck if you think you are 'helping the club out' by paying a student price instead of just not going, and therefroe giving the club nothing. That's not the point. It is quite simply unfair that an adult, who is employed and not a student, gets off with paying £120 less a season than someone else in the same situation.

I sincerely hope that those who get caught trying to get into the ground with unbder 12/student tickets, when they are neither under 12 or a student, have the option of paying for a full price ticket there and then, or their tickets ripped up at the gate.

No no you're right. In priciple what I did was wrong but in reality the club were getting an extra £180 rightly or wrongly.. As Penfold said it was always a risk but up until now a risk that paid off. Fair enough, though. I'll either have to pay full price or not go. It's that simple. 

So it's ok to ignore the terms and conditions when buying rail tickets, but not ok when buying football tickets?

Thanks for clearing that up tom.

whats terms have I ignored?

Just checked the friends fare terms and conditions and there is nothing to say you cant start or end your journey at any stop on the way so long as those journeys are on the trains you booked. What it does say is you cant 'break you journey unless it is for connections' which means you cant get off the train at one station ie Dundee for the match, then get on another train to take you the rest of the way to Aberdeen before promptly turning around and going back to Glasgow.

Out of our 4-5000 season ticket holders, are there really that many who have tickets they're not eligible for? It's not going to have any real effect on the club either way.

And it's not really worth having a moral crusade about either. If I can get away with paying less than I should for something, even if I'm more than able to pay the full price, then I'm going to do it whether it be football tickets, train fares, prostitutes or whatever. Obviously, that doesn't include any criminal behaviour, but I can live with a bit of mild dishonesty

It doesn't make me, or anyone else who does so, a bad person. That's already covered by plenty of other things.

The rights and wrongs are pretty much as amp put it, I just think I'd be happier knocking out 180 quid to attend a lot of games rather than full price for a damn sight less.

I wouldn't try to justify myself in any legal or moral sense but the club would get more financially out the former rather than the latter option.

whats terms have I ignored?

Just checked the friends fare terms and conditions and there is nothing to say you cant start or end your journey at any stop on the way so long as those journeys are on the trains you booked. What it does say is you cant 'break you journey unless it is for connections' which means you cant get off the train at one station ie Dundee for the match, then get on another train to take you the rest of the way to Aberdeen before promptly turning around and going back to Glasgow.

What T&C did you read?

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/friends-fare.html

Your Friends Fare ticket is only valid for the train journeys shown on your ticket.

ie. Buy a ticket for 4 from Glasgow to Aberdeen it's only valid for 4 from Glasgow to Aberdeen.

It's as valid for travel to Dundee as it is to Vladivostok.

What T&C did you read?

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/friends-fare.html

ie. Buy a ticket for 4 from Glasgow to Aberdeen it's only valid for 4 from Glasgow to Aberdeen.

It's as valid for travel to Dundee as it is to Vladivostok.

And the train from Glasgow to Aberdeen stops at Dundee as well as carnoustie, stonehaven and many others. It doesnt stop at Vladivostock.  I can get off the train wherever I feel like so long as its a station on that route. Once I get off I cannot get back on another train to complete the journey (The time the train leaves is written on the ticket - in the case of the arabs the 1637 train from aberdeen gets into dundee at 1750. So long as I get on THAT exact train my ticket remains valid. If i got on or off the train at Dyce or partick then im cheating them because the ticket is only valid for stations between Aberdeen or Glasgow.

Find me the condition that says I cannot get on or off the train Ive booked at any of the stations between Aberdeen and Glasgow. Id really love to see some ticket conductor pull a gun and order me back to my seat if I tried to leave the train early. id also like to see him throw me off with a ticket that is valid for that train.

I once bought return tickets for Glasgow from Aberdeen, but I was going to Perth, but the price of tickets was cheaper to Glasgow (it was during some promotion).  I had no problems getting off and on the train at Perth provided I used the same train I was supposed to be using to Glasgow - like Tom says.

And the train from Glasgow to Aberdeen stops at Dundee as well as carnoustie, stonehaven and many others. It doesnt stop at Vladivostock.  I can get off the train wherever I feel like so long as its a station on that route. Once I get off I cannot get back on another train to complete the journey (The time the train leaves is written on the ticket - in the case of the arabs the 1637 train from aberdeen gets into dundee at 1750. So long as I get on THAT exact train my ticket remains valid. If i got on or off the train at Dyce or partick then im cheating them because the ticket is only valid for stations between Aberdeen or Glasgow.

Find me the condition that says I cannot get on or off the train Ive booked at any of the stations between Aberdeen and Glasgow. Id really love to see some ticket conductor pull a gun and order me back to my seat if I tried to leave the train early. id also like to see him throw me off with a ticket that is valid for that train.

::) Jesus Christ. I thought you were meant to be a reasonably intelligent guy.

Re-Read my last post.

Your Friends Fare ticket is only valid for the train journeys shown on your ticket.

This Term & Condition means your ticket is not valid for you to get off in Dundee instead of Aberdeen. You may well sneak off the train in Dundee if you wish, but if you're caught you'll have to pay the full price for an onboard ticket from Glasgow to Dundee.

But its ok, cause you're only ripping off ScotRail and not AFC so you go enjoy yourself up there on your moral high horse.

::) Jesus Christ. I thought you were meant to be a reasonably intelligent guy.

Re-Read my last post.

This Term & Condition means your ticket is not valid for you to get off in Dundee instead of Aberdeen. You may well sneak off the train in Dundee if you wish, but if you're caught you'll have to pay the full price for an onboard ticket from Glasgow to Dundee.

But its ok, cause you're only ripping off ScotRail and not AFC so you go enjoy yourself up there on your moral high horse.

Likewise dave i thought you were also reasonably intelligent...well until i spotted you were the first person to respond to Daytrippers latest fishing atempt

The ticket you buy is valid for the train you ride on. The fact you pay less because it is a special going to aberdeen is irrelevant. They can only charge you more money if you get on the wrong train or stay on said train longer than your ticket is valid for. The absolute carnage that would be created if you got off the train at dundee, gleneagles, carnoustie etc and the ticket barrier or attendant refused to let you past because your ticket said Aberdeen is quite an amusing thought. I get off early then thats an extra seat they can sell for the rest of the journey. You buy a student season ticket for AFC when you are not a student and thats a seat AFC are losing money on everytime you go.

But since this thread is now spirally into 'does tom widdows rip off scotrail or not' instead of 'Aberdeen football club finally closed a loophole for which some are happy and others are not' I invite you to continue this discussion via PM.

If your ticket is not Valid for the station you get off at you will not be allowed through the turnstile thing.

Or don't they have them in Dundee yet?

The turnstile will not let you through. He hinted himself about having bother about it in another thread somewhere else.

Found out.