Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Student/Train Tickets

Tyrant

I do understand your point and agree to an extent. However, I don't think it's a decision the club should have made once people had handed over money, rightly or wrongly.

Example, if I had a student card that expired next month but I'd already bought an ST, would I get made to look like a prick at the gates on match day?

Thanks for (eventually) acknowledging that you do understand my point and agree to an extent. We will have to still agree to disagree on when the club made the decision though.

Re your point I've put in bold; my understanding is that if you were a student when you purchased the ST, and have ID to support that then that's okay for the season.

Don't know if that will stop you looking like a prick at the gates on match day though!  ;)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you wouldn't go to Pittodrie at all if you couldn't go fraudulently as a student?!

Not that I wouldn't. But that I couldn't.

Hello?  ??? ??? ???

I think it's more likely that the club saw people on here admitting they were doing this, so put measures in place for them to be able to police it better. They have always said they would do these checks at the turnstiles, that is why there are stewards standing just inside the turnstiles and have been ever since the electronic turnstiles came in. Obviously that system wasnt working and the club have decided to make a change. IMO there can be no faulting the club for this change.

Can you still get a refund on a season ticket even after you've used it for 1 game?

Even with the club saying they are making these changes I'll be surprised if they bother checking them after the first couple of awkward moments on saturday. Some new students dont have their student cards yet and others will claim they didnt know they now needed to bring their student ID.

No there can't. I think the issue people have is the timing. After the majority have renewed.

Not that I wouldn't. But that I couldn't.

Hello?  ??? ??? ???

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding Tyrant.... but I take it you are saying that you couldn't, not wouldn't go to Pittodrie if you couldn't go fraudulently as a student?!

Why not?  :-\

You could go to 10 games in Merkland stand for £170, 8 games in South or RDS for £176, or 6 games in Main Stand for £162.

Hello  ???  ???  ???

D = A-(STH+C)

D = Dicks

A = Attendance

STH = Season Ticket Holders

CC = Concessions

As we have 4/5000 season ticket holders and if we assume 1/2000 punters are paying concessions to get in, as many as 5000 paying Aberdeen fans could be dicks every other week.

But are these the same people going week in week out? Surely it'd be different people otherwise you'd just get a season ticket? I can understand going once in a while but I don't understand why anyone would go regularly and pay at the gate every time.

D = A-(STH+C)

D = Dicks

A = Attendance

STH = Season Ticket Holders

CC = Concessions

As we have 4/5000 season ticket holders and if we assume 1/2000 punters are paying concessions to get in, as many as 5000 paying Aberdeen fans could be dicks every other week.

Quality!

So did any non-student chance using a student ticket at the weekend?

I went along with my kids, we had to go through a designated "U12, concession and all other tickets" turnstile.  The light went green for them all, no red lights, no flashing lights, no difference from the adult ticket to the U12 ticket.

So did any non-student chance using a student ticket at the weekend?

I went along with my kids, we had to go through a designated "U12, concession and all other tickets" turnstile.  The light went green for them all, no red lights, no flashing lights, no difference from the adult ticket to the U12 ticket.

Mine didn't even get checked? ???

Sorry to re-open this but I found the story below on Yahoo this morning.....

A couple have had to pay a £114 fine after getting off a train two stops early.

Emma Clark and Davyd Winter-Bates were travelling to Southampton from London with South West Trains when they decided to get off two stops early at Eastleigh.

When they handed over their tickets at the station, they were told they were each being fined £57 because they had not stayed on the train until their destination.

The fine was twice the standard fare of £28.50.

Miss Clark told The Sun: “It is utter madness. I could understand being fined if I had stayed on the train two stops beyond my destination.”

A spokesperson for Stagecoach, which owns South West Trains, said the couple had been fined because they were using discounted tickets, costing £6, which do not allow passengers to break their journeys.

In a statement, they said: “Leaving a train early is not allowed on heavily discounted tickets. The fine is double the standard single fare.”

Sorry to re-open this but I found the story below on Yahoo this morning.....

A couple have had to pay a £114 fine after getting off a train two stops early.

Emma Clark and Davyd Winter-Bates were travelling to Southampton from London with South West Trains when they decided to get off two stops early at Eastleigh.

When they handed over their tickets at the station, they were told they were each being fined £57 because they had not stayed on the train until their destination.

The fine was twice the standard fare of £28.50.

Miss Clark told The Sun: “It is utter madness. I could understand being fined if I had stayed on the train two stops beyond my destination.”

A spokesperson for Stagecoach, which owns South West Trains, said the couple had been fined because they were using discounted tickets, costing £6, which do not allow passengers to break their journeys.

In a statement, they said: “Leaving a train early is not allowed on heavily discounted tickets. The fine is double the standard single fare.”

PWNT.png

I heard this on the radio.

However the statement the train company gave the BBC was weak to say the least.

'we dont think its fair that they should get the discounted rate through megatrain whilst others have paid full price'

They forgot to mention their terms and conditions dont actually say you cannot leave the train early. Instead they put the phrase 'you cannot break your journey'. A phrase which I see as 'you cant get off the train, hang about a bit and then get on the next one to complete the ride'. They apparently see it as 'you cant get off the train early without paying a fine'. Open to interpretation you see. If the terms and conditions said 'you can only leave the train at the stations stated on the ticket' then this whole mess is cleared up but their legal department woudl have a shitfit if Rail company bosses tried to implement that. A complete legal minefield over the terms or restricting the movement of the public would arise.

Im awaiting the case of 'mum' or 'dad' getting off train early because their child is suddenly taken ill or they receive bad news on the mobile and have to turnaround. I for one would absolutely love to see little station guard telling aggitated parent they cant leave the station till they cough up the money.

Of course it doesnt say 'except in exceptional circumstances' anywhere in the terms and conditions.

Im actually pissed off there people paid the fine. Take the case to court because even the most inept lawyer would destroy the Railways case and for a laugh stick an illegal imprisonment charge on them. Yahoos picked it up so i reckon the Daily Mail and the redtops will have it in the next few days. Their little glut of 'get as many stories about dogs attacking kids as possible' is running dry so the old debate as to how rail companies can justify charging up to £300 for say a single between Aberdeen & Glasgow (yes it is possible) will kick off once again and when the dust settle I bet yon english couple with have had their fines refunded as a 'goodwill gesture'

One question I want answered would the couple have had pay a fine if they had suddenly decided 'fuck it, lets get off at the first station (Clapham Junction), turnaround and go home?' If not at what point on the journey do they start dealing out the fines?

They forgot to mention their terms and conditions dont actually say you cannot leave the train early.

Indeed they do not, they say that the ticket is only valid for the journey shown on the ticket, and if you get off the train early you then no longer have a valid ticket for the journey you made. Hence the fine.

As this particluar journey was on a megatrain, their website actually says:

My reservation states London St. Pancras; can I board/alight elsewhere?

You must board and alight at the point shown on your reservation, and it is a condition of travel on the train element of megabusplus that you may not board or alight at other points on the route. If you do board/alight at somewhere other than St. Pancras, you will be charged the full single fare for the actual journey made.

Fair enough but does a fine still apply if you decide to get of at the first stop or infact any stop on the way for which the actual fare would cost less than your discounted ticket?

silly question probably.

'Sorry sir, i dont care if you paid £20 for your ticket, you cannot pass until you pay me the £3.60 it actually cost for you to come here'

Fair enough but does a fine still apply if you decide to get of at the first stop or infact any stop on the way for which the actual fare would cost less than your discounted ticket?

silly question probably.

'Sorry sir, i dont care if you paid £20 for your ticket, you cannot pass until you pay me the £3.60 it actually cost for you to come here'

Yes the fine is for not having a valid ticket, on top of that you'll need to buy a valid ticket for your journey.

Scotrail don't do fines though, you just have to buy a valid ticket.