Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Alloa v Aberdeen

mizer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comfortable win although Alloa probably deserved a goal. Fyvie was superb before he went off and really hope it isn't too serious. Bebo scored a stunner but was fucking hopeless out wide, although did do a bit better once played through the middle. Also a little disappointed with the two new lads up front. However three goal win at a side who have been doing well this season and through to the next round. Three games. Three wins. Eight goals for. None against. COYR   

Fyvie looked more than a wee bit.

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee blamed Alloa's artificial surface for an injury scare affecting his promising midfielder Fraser Fyvie.

Fyvie twisted a knee on the plastic pitch at Recreation Park a minute before half-time in Aberdeen's 3-0 Co-operative Cup victory on Tuesday.

McGhee was optimistic there will be no serious damage to his player, but questioned whether turf without the give of grass should be used for more than training games.

He said: "Fraser got a sore one. It might not be as bad as it looked, but I definitely think it's the pitch.

"A lot of these pitches have been built around the country for teams to train on, but I think at this level the competitiveness and the pace that we're trying to play at it does make it a little bit more difficult.

"People's feet are sticking and players are getting injuries. We'll see how Fraser is in the morning, he'll have a scan, but he seemed to be badly hurt with the noise he made. Fingers crossed it's not ligament damage.

Comfortable win although Alloa probably deserved a goal. Fyvie was superb before he went off and really hope it isn't too serious. Bebo scored a stunner but was fucking hopeless out wide, although did do a bit better once played through the middle. Also a little disappointed with the two new lads up front. However three goal win at a side who have been doing well this season and through to the next round. Three games. Three wins. Eight goals for. None against. COYR 

Maguire played through the middle... scored!  ;D. (Peterheid_Loon are you reading this?! ;))

I couldn't make it last night, however GS I agreed with you on Saturday game review that Maguire needed moved to play through the middle, ... where he plays best!

Hopefully Fyvie's injury isn't as serious as many have speculated elsewhere.

I've not heard any update yet about Fyvie's injury, and I'm hoping it's not as serious as it looked.

But can anyone else remember a game last season when he left the pitch on a stretcher with a serious looking injury which ended up not being as bad as first thought? I cant remember who that was against.  ???

Maitland on the BBC website blaming Fyvie's choice of boots on his injury:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/8943046.stm

Alloa manager Allan Maitland has defended the Recreation Park pitch after his Aberdeen counterpart Mark McGhee slated the plastic surface.

McGhee blamed the pitch for an injury sustained by Fraser Fyvie, who twisted his knee during Aberdeen's 3-0 Co-operative Insurance Cup win on Tuesday.

McGhee claimed the pitch was unsuitable and should be limited to training use.

"If his injury is down to the park then that's very unusual, that's all I would say," said Maitland.

Maitland had sympathy for Fyvie's plight and the 18-year-old midfielder will have a scan on Wednesday to determine the extent of any damage, but feels McGhee overstated the case against the turf and that the problem was a footwear issue.

"I don't know how serious the injury is, hopefully not as serious as first thought," Maitland said.

"I understand what Mark is saying, and didn't really see what happened to Fraser Fyvie, but when he came off I saw he was wearing blades and I think blades are foolish on this surface.

"I think anyone would tell you that."

How can people say it's close (enough) to a grass surface if you need to wear different footwear to play on the fucking thing?? That's just bullshit.

Saying also, Pawlett got injured in the warm up - again for no other reason than the surface!

I don't imagine it's anything so serious but for the sake of argument, if a young prospect gets a career ending/destroying injury from a tackle, the club can sue the player (or player's club maybe). But if the injury comes from the turf then who's culpable? would they call it self-inflicted? It's diabolical and if anyone is seriously injured by a surface, the people who approve its use (SFA, UEFA) should be paying out a hefty compensation.