Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Alloa v Aberdeen

mizer

How can people say it's close (enough) to a grass surface if you need to wear different footwear to play on the fucking thing?? That's just bullshit.

Saying also, Pawlett got injured in the warm up - again for no other reason than the surface!

I don't imagine it's anything so serious but for the sake of argument, if a young prospect gets a career ending/destroying injury from a tackle, the club can sue the player (or player's club maybe). But if the injury comes from the turf then who's culpable? would they call it self-inflicted? It's diabolical and if anyone is seriously injured by a surface, the people who approve its use (SFA, UEFA) should be paying out a hefty compensation.

Agreed.  The boys will have to play we sambas instead of studs!! 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIRD ROUND DRAW (Friday apparently):

Seeded: Rangers, Celtic, Dundee United, Hibernian, Motherwell, Hearts, St Johnstone, Aberdeen

Unseeded: Kilmarnock, Inverness CT, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Queen of the South, Ross County, Raith Rovers, Brechin City

Ties will be played on the 21st/22nd September.

Shame our games are always Tue nights as I'd be able to get to a game pretty much anywhere other than Dingwall on the Wednesday but looks like I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for Killie, Falkirk, Dunfermline and maybe even Rovers or QotS, although all apart from Brechin look pretty treacherous given our history over the last 5 years or so.

McGhee is still plastic inflexible

concerns ease over injuries to Fyvie and diamond but manager remains wary of artificial pitches

By paul third

Published: 26/08/2010

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee’s squad injury woes eased last night but he still believes there is no place for artificial pitches in professional football.

McGhee lost Fraser Fyvie, Zander Diamond, Derek Young and Peter Pawlett to injury in the 3-0 League Cup win on Alloa’s plastic pitch on Tuesday.

Fyvie’s injury was the biggest cause for concern, with the 17-year-old stretchered off with suspected ligament damage. However, fears Fyvie had suffered a long-term injury eased yesterday and, with the player set for a scan today, McGhee is hopeful Fyvie will be back in the frame soon.

He said: “Fraser is moving better today and we are hoping for good news.

“He won’t play on Saturday but we expect he will only miss a couple of weeks and, with no game due to the international break next weekend, I hope he will not miss too many games.

“Until he has had his scan you always have a doubt in the back of your mind, but I’m optimistic the damage is nothing serious.”

There was more positive news with defender Diamond expected to be to fit to face Kilmarnock at Pittodrie on Saturday despite limping off at Alloa. McGhee added: “Zander was in a lot of pain when he came off but I would say he is around 90% certain of playing on Saturday.

“Derek and Peter were also feeling the effects of the surface and we will make a decision on Friday on whether they will be involved.”

While the severity of the injuries is not as bad as first feared, McGhee remains convinced that Alloa’s Recreation Park was the major contributory factor in the four players suffering for the cause.

He said: “I know Alloa manager Allan Maitland says the pitch was not a factor but I have no doubt the injuries the players suffered were caused by the surface.

“We train during the winter at the Aberdeen Sports Village on their artificial pitch and when we have to use it players such as Zander are not involved as the surface is destructive for them.

“We were forced to play him in the game at Alloa as it was important. Our fears were confirmed when he had to come off. It took the shine off what should have been an enjoyable victory.

“The result paled into insignificance when I saw four of my players limping around the dressing-room.

“These surfaces put too much pressure on the joints of professional players and the hard impact takes its toll. Nothing will change my view that we shouldn’t use them for competitive games.”

Sone Aluko, who missed the League Cup tie due to an Achilles tendon injury, is unlikely to be risked.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1889345?UserKey=#ixzz0xhsRZpV8

They suspected it was a twisted knee.....

...now it's cruciate damage.

Few weeks -----> season

See?

Before a scan confirms it there can be a fair degree of mobility return as the swelling reduces even after a pretty horrific cruciate rupture.

Normally I'd be happy to tear into our medics but they seem to have not done much wrong here, if anything. Be interesting to see how his rehab goes. Get him to Steadman!!