Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Huns after Foster? Confirmed - Velicka to Pittodrie in year loan deal

Kowalski

It's in the Daily Retard so caution advised!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/08/27/aberdeen-defender-richard-foster-emerges-as-a-shock-transfer-target-for-rangers-86908-22517381/

Aberdeen defender Richard Foster emerges as a shock transfer target for Rangers

Aug 27 2010

RANGERS are weighing up a surprise move for Aberdeen defender Richard Foster.

Record Sport understands Ibrox boss Walter Smith has identified the Dons fullback as a possible recruit as he looks to bolster his threadbare squad.

The 25-year-old speed merchant has made more than 200 appearances during his seven years at Pittodrie and has shown his versatility by being used in both central defence as well as midfield roles.

Despite signing a contract extension earlier this year to carry him through to 2013 Foster is being considered by Rangers as a valuable addition as they target a third successive SPL title.

The Dons fans' favourite has impressed in recent seasons with a level of consistency to cement a regular first-team spot under previous boss Jimmy Calderwood and current gaffer Mark McGhee.

Any potential deal would be dependant on Aberdeen's valuation of the player reflecting what Rangers are prepared to pay and negotiations could be opened ahead of the transfer window slamming shut early next week.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is any truth in this, and I doubt there is, the Huns will be thinking they can get him on the cheap because we are rooked.

I actually think we need to work bloody hard to hold onto Foster, not because I don't want the huns to have him, by fuck we could do with the money. It's more because we are seriosuly short of pacey full backs. We have managed fine with McArdle and Considine so far but they have not been challenged. St Johnstone lined up with the express intention of exploiting us down the flanks and its only because they were no good at it that we got away with it. When we come up against guys like Weiss, Driver, Conway or Forrest/Maloney we will be found out if we don't have Foster. He is the best man marker in the SPL and has silenced many of these types of players previously. We MUST keep him in the squad for these types of games.

fans' favourite

lol

Seriously though, I think loosing Foster would be like the Chris Clarke situation all over again - you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone etc etc.

Unless they offer a really good fee like we got for Lee Miller.  I'm starting to trust MM a bit more with the responsibility of signing players, and if he was allowed to use some of the Foster fee to bulk up the squad a bit it might turn out to be good business.

lol

Seriously though, I think loosing Foster would be like the Chris Clarke situation all over again - you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone etc etc.

Unless they offer a really good fee like we got for Lee Miller.  I'm starting to trust MM a bit more with the responsibility of signing players, and if he was allowed to use some of the Foster fee to bulk up the squad a bit it might turn out to be good business.

??? I always rated Clark and knew he was a player that was valuable to us. Still don't understand why others didn't.

Because he didn't do what we knew he could do anywhere near often enough. It was a shame, on his day he was a decent player.

Like the vast majority of our squad and football players in general?

Chris Clark was gash.

We only missed him because we didn't replace him, he just became a hole in the squad that was marginally less effective than the player himself.

Disagree. I remember him causing Rangers and Dnipro all sorts of problems. I really liked Chris.