Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Goalkeeper Situation

BobbyBiscuit

having been on holiday for three of our four matches so far this season, I've not really kept up with how individual players have been doing.  How has Howard been in goals?

has there been any more word if Langfield is on the bench due to form or a falling out with the management?  Is it likely he'll stay there for the forseeable future in your opinions?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howard's been suspect to be honest. The blame for the Killie goal is as much his as it is the rest of the defence's. He's gotten away with it so far because the teams we've played have been uttery woeful. Having said that Langfield was utter balls too as far as I've seen. (Which admittedly was only one match and it was a friendly)

having been on holiday for three of our four matches so far this season, I've not really kept up with how individual players have been doing.  How has Howard been in goals?

has there been any more word if Langfield is on the bench due to form or a falling out with the management?  Is it likely he'll stay there for the forseeable future in your opinions?

V Hamilton Howard was solid but had very little to do.

V St Johnstone he had a decent enough game imo. Made one outstanding save.

V Killie I can't comment as I didn't go.

I don't think there's ben any fallout between Langfield and the management, Howard's taken his chance since Langfield injured himself.

As things stand I'm pretty happy for Howard to remain in goals, I have more confidence in him than I do in Langfield.

Langfield has got to come back in next week.

Sounds like Howard punched the ball into his own net today.

He actually dropped it into the net. Looked shakey anytime the ball was crossed into the box. Thats him dropped cross in all three games I have seen him play for Aberdeen.

Just seen the 'highlights' (note they didnt include our chance in the first minute or Uniteds dis-allowed goal....but hey they werent worthy of seeing again)

I trust Mcghee will be retracking his claim of Howard being 'distracted' because of a foul. Only distraction was Howard decided the best way to catch a cross was to get a piggyback from an unsuspecting Iffel.

Clangers is one of the best players we've had in years.

Eh?? You're joking surely?

My comment about Howard last week has come back to haunt me, it'll be interesting to see who McGhee chooses to play between the sticks against Motherwell.

Eh?? You're joking surely?

My comment about Howard last week has come back to haunt me, it'll be interesting to see who McGhee chooses to play between the sticks against Motherwell.

Clangers has been consistently decent for us as shown by his Player of the season win a couple of years ago and selection for several Scotland squads.  He certainly isn't a Theo or Jim but he is the best we'll likely have for some time. 

And after saturday he has to be starting at Fir Park

Clangers has been consistently decent for us as shown by his Player of the season win a couple of years ago and selection for several Scotland squads.  He certainly isn't a Theo or Jim but he is the best we'll likely have for some time. 

And after saturday he has to be starting at Fir Park

My memory must be playing tricks on me then, I can recall Langfield having one decent season for us. Time and again he's cost us points with some unbelievably shite goalkeeping. The guy is mediocre at best.

As for being selected for Scotland squads, nae big deal when you look at some of the trumpets who have been called up.

My memory must be playing tricks on me then, I can recall Langfield having one decent season for us. Time and again he's cost us points with some unbelievably shite goalkeeping. The guy is mediocre at best.

As for being selected for Scotland squads, nae big deal when you look at some of the trumpets who have been called up.

Agreed, ally. Also think he went rapidly downhill when Leighton was sacked. I blame the white boots.

Besides, judging by MM comments, he doesnt hold Howard completely responsible for the second goal.

Langfield had a bad season last year, before that was easily our player of the year for 1, if not 2, seasons.

I didn't say he was our best player in years but he's certainly one of them. I don't understand why so many people don't appreciate the guy.

Each to their own.  Langfield at times can be a very good shot stopper but there are too many cons to his game to be considered anything other than a very mediocre keeper imo.

‘Aberdeen FC keeper Howard will not be axed after blunder’

Boss McGhee says: ‘There has to be forgiveness’

By Sean Wallace

Published: 13/09/2010

ABERDEEN FC keeper Mark Howard was today reassured he will not be axed following his New Firm derby blunder.

Howard punched the ball into his own net at Tannadice in the 3-1 defeat to Dundee United.

The English Aberdeen FC stopper was also involved in the mix-up leading to the goal in the recent 1-0 loss to Kilmarnock.

But Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee will retain faith with the summer signing.

He said today: “Mark made one mistake but that is not what cost us the game.”

So, let’s get this right; last time out, 18 year old Mitch Megginson gets publicly berated for his mistake that led to Kilmarnock’s goal, and this week, McGhee decides to put his arm around the goalkeeper who punches the ball into his own net.  Howard is a decent enough back-up keeper to have, but I’m inclined to argue that Langfield is one of the top 4 or 5 keepers in the SPL, with Allan McGregor, Neil Alexander, Lukas Zaluska and Paul Gallacher.  Having a good quality keeper like Langfield on the bench while Howard contrives to cost us points in consecutive games is a luxury AFC, and ultimately Mark McGhee, cannot afford.  Some of McGhee's decision-making of late makes Jimmy Calderwood look like bonafide MENSA material...

So, let’s get this right; last time out, 18 year old Mitch Megginson gets publicly berated for his mistake that led to Kilmarnock’s goal, and this week, McGhee decides to put his arm around the goalkeeper who punches the ball into his own net.  Howard is a decent enough back-up keeper to have, but I’m inclined to argue that Langfield is one of the top 4 or 5 keepers in the SPL, with Allan McGregor, Neil Alexander, Lukas Zaluska and Paul Gallacher.  Having a good quality keeper like Langfield on the bench while Howard contrives to cost us points in consecutive games is a luxury AFC, and ultimately Mark McGhee, cannot afford.  Some of McGhee's decision-making of late makes Jimmy Calderwood look like bonafide MENSA material...

That's a fair point actually - have MM and Langfield had a falling out as he is showing no signs of playing him at all