Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Goalkeeper Situation

BobbyBiscuit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been swithering about whether or not to go to the 2 games before the huns because I'm not working just now so cash is tight.

The sheer stubbornness of MM pushes me further towards the easy option of not paying circa £40 for the 2 match tickets + booze and travel.

If everyone and his dog thinks something should be done differently then clearly it's they who are wrong and not Mghee!  ::)

I don't have any confidence in Howard and I'd also expect to see our wide players in the middle and central players out wide again. Fuck paying to see that.

edit - before any sanctimonious ballbag says 'we need more fans as loyal as you' I probably will end up going to one or both games. I'm just making the point that it's a harder choice to make given the above.

I've been swithering about whether or not to go to the 2 games before the huns because I'm not working just now so cash is tight.

The sheer stubbornness of MM pushes me further towards the easy option of not paying circa £40 for the 2 match tickets + booze and travel.

If everyone and his dog thinks something should be done differently then clearly it's they who are wrong and not Mghee!  ::)

I don't have any confidence in Howard and I'd also expect to see our wide players in the middle and central players out wide again. Fuck paying to see that.

edit - before any sanctimonious ballbag says 'we need more fans as loyal as you' I probably will end up going to one or both games. I'm just making the point that it's a harder choice to make given the above.

Part time supporter  >:D

Absolutely 100% agree (apart from the bit about Howard :wave:)

This seems to be a theme sweeping fitba forums at the minute, everyone should be positive and if you are negative it is only so you can say I told you so a few months down the line.

What kind of nonsense is that, surely the whole point in fitba forums is to bitch and snipe then you can get behind your team on a Saturday. Also there is very little satisfaction gained from saying "I told you so" to the bunch of retards who are so blinded by their own self importance they can't see the truth. Talking of which, realistically we have to give McGhee till next season to see what he can really do, now.

I was seriously unimpressed (again) with Langfield yesterday. He was shit at the goal, looked very dodgy with the ball at his feet early on and his continual volleying of the ball towards Considine's head on the wing just surrendered possession time and again. He had very little to do yesterday and he didn't convince in much of it. Also seems to have caught David Preece's aversion to coming off his line for crossed balls.

Langfield is the No 1 choice keeper for Aberdeen FC

McGhee backing for Jamie

By Sean Wallace

Published: 20/09/2010

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today confirmed Jamie Langfield will be his No 1 keeper for the rest of the season.

Langfield returned to the starting line-up at Motherwell for the first time this season.

Mark Howard was dropped by Aberdeen FC for the 1-1 draw after a series of recent mistakes.

McGhee completed a U-turn after previously insisting he would retain faith with Howard.

McGhee said: “Jamie is our No 1 and taking him back now was the right decision. Jamie would have played from the start of the season if he had not burned his foot.”

Read more: http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1924909?UserKey=#ixzz105bBedyU

Just seen the first Raith goal from last night. What the fuck was Langfield playing at? Coming for a ball 16 yards out when one of his centre halves is already there and there is no immediate danger is hideous decision making and was even worse in practice. 

He's an experienced goalkeeper now, these things just shouldn't be happening. He still can't get the basics right. Abysmal.

Clangers seems to realize he can't trust his centre backs to protect him, but he panicks too much to be able to judge when and how to bail them out. Bad decision making outside the 6 yard box essentially.

imo, given that Howard, Nelson, Bossu are/were no less prone to mistakes, what we need is not a different keeper, but a centre back who is capable of taking charge and is not equally prone to dropping a massive clanger as zander, Ifil, Considine are (McArdle and vuja being both new and probably destined for fullback).

We won't be signing another Kjaer or Theo anytime soon I don't think.

Clangers seems to realize he can't trust his centre backs to protect him, but he panicks too much to be able to judge when and how to bail them out. Bad decision making outside the 6 yard box essentially.

imo, given that Howard, Nelson, Bossu are/were no less prone to mistakes, what we need is not a different keeper, but a centre back who is capable of taking charge and is not equally prone to dropping a massive clanger as zander, Ifil, Considine are (McArdle and vuja being both new and probably destined for fullback).

We won't be signing another Kjaer or Theo anytime soon I don't think.

All that would be fine if it was only crossed balls he was fucking up with, but it's not.

Isn't it? Can't remember if last night's was a cross or a pump through the middle but I was generalizing about high balls outside the 6 yard box.

Last season he got caught flat footed but not the season(s) previous that I remember, and not so far this (in his grand total of 2 games), so I don't think it's fair to say he is generally a bad shot stopper. His distribution is certainly better than Howard so what else is his fault? The motherwell goal wasn't good goalkeeping by any means, but it wasn't a shocking mistake either. The best goalies in the world get nutmegged sometimes, especially when the centre half who looks like blocking the shot cynically hacks himself down.

He IS generally bad underneath the ball though, but a solid centre half would take that responsibility off him 9 times out of 10.

You look at someone like McGregor for example. He is also very poor under crosses but because he has a more trustworthy defence in front of him he doesn't need to come and claim the ball as often as langfield. Both are good shot stoppers but McGregor looks better all round simply because his flaws are less exposed by the team he plays in.

That's how I've personally seen it in the last few years anyway.

No it's not. And it's quite clearly not if you look at his Aberdeen career to date.

His positioning is absolutely awful. Take a look at the goal he conceded last season at motherwell for just one example, lost it at his front post and was so badly out of position he'd have been as well sitting on his arse and just telling the boy to roll it in. Look at the goals he conceded in the Celtic 4-4 game, again, horrendous positioning.  How can he ever be confident in himself if he doesn't know where he is in relation to his posts? 

You make the point about him not having confidence in his defence. That's most certainly a two way street. You ever think the defence are jittery because they don't know when he's going to come off his line or not?  There were 3 or 4 crosses last week that should have been his as they were on the six yard line but he stayed rooted to his line, almost costing us dearly. And then the other night he charges out 16 yards for a ball he was never making. How can you have a go at the defenders in these situations when the keeper is acting so erratically and is not consistent in his decision making let alone handling?

I agree that two years ago he had a very good season, but the two (?) before that he was piss poor, he was piss poor last season and in two matches so far he's been pretty ding for two goals.  I don't know if Howard's any better, but even if he's not, it doesn't change the fact that Langfield is still costing us goals after all these years. I don't have much faith in a keeper who loses his place to Derek Soutar.

No it's not. And it's quite clearly not if you look at his Aberdeen career to date.

His positioning is absolutely awful. Take a look at the goal he conceded last season at motherwell for just one example, lost it at his front post and was so badly out of position he'd have been as well sitting on his arse and just telling the boy to roll it in. Look at the goals he conceded in the Celtic 4-4 game, again, horrendous positioning.  How can he ever be confident in himself if he doesn't know where he is in relation to his posts? 

You make the point about him not having confidence in his defence. That's most certainly a two way street. You ever think the defence are jittery because they don't know when he's going to come off his line or not?  There were 3 or 4 crosses last week that should have been his as they were on the six yard line but he stayed rooted to his line, almost costing us dearly. And then the other night he charges out 16 yards for a ball he was never making. How can you have a go at the defenders in these situations when the keeper is acting so erratically and is not consistent in his decision making let alone handling?

I agree that two years ago he had a very good season, but the two (?) before that he was piss poor, he was piss poor last season and in two matches so far he's been pretty ding for two goals.  I don't know if Howard's any better, but even if he's not, it doesn't change the fact that Langfield is still costing us goals after all these years. I don't have much faith in a keeper who loses his place to Derek Soutar.

Add to that he bottles it with alarming regularity.

The centre backs being fucking abysmal is a 2 way street is it? From all that you and others have posted BB, it seems a one way street.

You cannot mention how good or bad our keeper/keepers are without remembering just how fucking terrible the centre backs are. That said, Langfield was brutal for the first goal but just how bad were the defence all night? Ifil restated his claim for "worst of a bad bunch" accolade wi the fuck up for the second goal and the players in the middle provided good competition having only ONE huge geezer to watch for in the 6 yard box. Just fucking unacceptable.

I'm not uncomfortable with Langfield in goals but the idea he is more accident prone than other keepers outside of the OF is a bit hard to quantify and I think unlikely. He isn't by any means a world beater, a Theo or Leighton or a Kjaer but how many are?

No faith in either keeper to be honest but have slightly more in Langfield than I do Howard. From what I have seen as soon as Howard get put under any pressure he looks very shakey especially at cross balls. Langfield is not much better. As funster says neither even come close to the ability of previous keepers we have had a Pittodrie.

Langfield's contract expires at the end of this season, I hope McGhee's on the lookout for a replacement.

Langfield's been a total bombscare in all the time he's been at Pittodrie bar one season.

Lacks concentration, positioning is poor, lacks bottle, very poor dealing with cross balls/any high ball into the box etc etc

The centre backs being fucking abysmal is a 2 way street is it? From all that you and others have posted BB, it seems a one way street.

Read what I wrote again. It was about confidence. They have no confidence in him, he has no confidence in them. They're as bad as each other.

You cannot mention how good or bad our keeper/keepers are without remembering just how fucking terrible the centre backs are. That said, Langfield was brutal for the first goal but just how bad were the defence all night? Ifil restated his claim for "worst of a bad bunch" accolade wi the fuck up for the second goal and the players in the middle provided good competition having only ONE huge geezer to watch for in the 6 yard box. Just fucking unacceptable.

We know the defending is awful. If Langfield knows it and that's his reason for coming for that ball on Wednesday, then what was his reason for not coming for anything on Saturday?  As I said, erratic decision making doesn't help him or his defenders, in terms of confidence or in terms having the faintest idea of what the fuck is going on.

I know the defending is piss poor and it doesn't help, but Langfield is one of our most experienced players and yet he is still making not just basic mistakes but horrendous choices over positioning and when he wants to come for crosses. He just shouldn't be making these mistakes at this stage in his career in particular. I know he's not Leighton or Theo, no-one in their right mind would expect that level of player in the current climate, but come on, it just isn't acceptable.

I'm not uncomfortable with Langfield in goals but the idea he is more accident prone than other keepers outside of the OF is a bit hard to quantify and I think unlikely. He isn't by any means a world beater, a Theo or Leighton or a Kjaer but how many are?

See this argument that he's just as shit as the other keepers in the league really fucking grinds my gears. So what? Because everyone else is shit it's ok for us to be shit too? That's no way to look at it.  Again, I'm not expecting us to get the level of the previously named keepers, but I expect our scouts to be going all over Europe trying to get a goalkeeper who can consistently cover the basics of goalkeeping and who won't have a major arse collapse when someone chucks a half eaten hamburger at him in a cup semi final.  it's not much to ask, and the money thing doesn't come into it either. If we can get a player of Hartley's calibre, we sure as fuck can get a keeper of a better standard than Langfield.