Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Pikey Jute Minks v Dandy Dons

glasgow sheep

Sone and Velicka oot

Niko on the bench.

Means without Aluko and Fyvie we badly lack creativity, esp with Pawlett wasted in the middle.

As there is hee-haw chance of McGhee ditching 433 I'd go for:

Howard

McArdle  Diamond  Ifil Considine

Hartley  Folley

Maguire

Pawlett  Magennis  Mackie

Bench: Clangers, Niko, Vernon, Young, Paton(if alive, if not megganson), A.N. youngster x2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest leith_red

Logic dictates that up against big, strong, lumbering centre halfs with the turning circle of a lorry, you play small, quick, skillful players and try to get the ball in behind the defence, making them turn and face thier own goal.

On that basis, I fully expect us to play Magennis and Vernon and aim the ball at thier heads.

I'd go with:

Howard

McArdle Diamond Considine New guy

Folly Hartley

Pawlett Maguire Mackie

Magennis

If the new guy isn't fit enough to start then put Ifil in at centre half and move Considine to left back.

One big negative for tomorrow is neither full back has a lot of pace and I think whoever comes up against Conway will struggle.

The midfield battle between Hartley/Folly and Gomis/Bauben should be a cracker.

Langfield

McArdle Diamond Ifil Considine

Folly Hartley

Pawlett Maguire Paton

Magennis

Howard had a run against the teams who'll likely all be bottom 6 and Alloa, which is fair enough. He helped lose us the game to Killie and unless he was outstanding against Hamilton I haven't seen anything that suggests he's good enough to start against Utd.

The back line is basically the only option we have until Vujadinovic is fit.

Paton is ok on the left and I think Maguire could be good in behind a target man. Magennis looks like he could be useful and certainly looks to win every ball. Vernon I've not seen enough of although he did look more likely to score against Alloa than Magennis.

Langfield

McArdle Diamond Ifil Considine

Folly Hartley

Pawlett Maguire Paton

Magennis

Howard had a run against the teams who'll likely all be bottom 6 and Alloa, which is fair enough. He helped lose us the game to Killie and unless he was outstanding against Hamilton I haven't seen anything that suggests he's good enough to start against Utd.

He had very little to do against Hamilton.  I thought he played well at St Johnstone, pulled off one fantastic save and looked quite assured when dealing with crosses.  I think he deserves to keep his place, it also won't do Langfield any harm having to fight for his place.

He had very little to do against Hamilton.  I thought he played well at St Johnstone, pulled off one fantastic save and looked quite assured when dealing with crosses.  I think he deserves to keep his place, it also won't do Langfield any harm having to fight for his place.

His handling is diabolical, I'd have Clangers back in a heartbeat. Howard is a disaster waiting to happen.

WTF the fuck is with Pawlett in the middle? Jesus H Christ, wingers in centre, strikers out wide. It's a fucking tombola I tells ye!

FFS fucks sake funster. How about you give McGhee a break, I take it your 'strikers out wide' comment is in relation to Maguire playing there. Why should he be upfront? When was the last time he scored from there.

::)

SCOTT SEVERIN is aiming to silence the Aberdeen fans at Tannadice tomorrow - before they turn it into a cauldron the way they used to when he was Dons skipper.

The visitors expect to bring around 4,000 supporters south for the first New Firm meeting of the season.

Severin joined Dundee United from Watford on transfer-deadline day, having spent five years at Pittodrie.

The 31-year-old stopper looks at the Dons teamsheet and only recognises a few names from his time there, such has been the turnaround in personnel under Mark McGhee.

But he insists the key to beating them will remain the same - keep the fans quiet.

He said: "We always looked forward to going down to Tannadice when I was at Aberdeen. We didn't get too many wins there in my time and now that I'm with United obviously I hope that continues.

"Aberdeen always take a massive support because it's just down the road for the fans and they really enjoy having a day out in Dundee.

"Aberdeen's away support give the team great backing and the atmosphere is always electric. It will be up to us to silence them.

"The better atmosphere was usually in the away games because the fans are so vocal.

"So from a United point of view, if we can stop them singing then we're doing our job."

He has not played a competitive game since the end of last season, when he helped Kilmarnock stay up during a loan spell.

He will be thrown straight in against his old club after playing in a bounce game against Hibs on Tuesday.

He knows it will take him two or three more matches to get fully up to speed.

He said: "I will need a few games to get up to match sharpness because I've not played since the end of last season.

"I had one pre-season game for Watford but that has been it."

He added: "There are not many of the boys I played with at Aberdeen left.

"I still speak to Derek Young, Darren Mackie and Jamie Langfield from my time there.

"They are good mates but that won't come into it when the game starts."

Aberdeen started the season with wins over Hamilton and St Johnstone before Killie stunned them last time out at Pittodrie.

United will also look to get back to winning ways following draws to St Mirren and Hearts as well as their 4-0 home defeat to Inverness.

Advertisement

Click here

Severin has been around the SPL long enough to know one result can kickstart a season.

He sees this weekend's fixture as a possible springboard to going on a run.

He said: "Aberdeen started well with two wins then lost to Kilmarnock so it will be competitive.

"We've had a couple of draws but if we win this weekend it would really let us kick on.

"We want to be up at the top end of the table and to be there, these are the games you have to do well in.

"In the SPL you just need two or three wins to shoot up the table.

"Everyone here is pulling in the same direction and working hard.

"So from what I've seen so far everything is there to start getting results."

United boss Peter Houston is back at Tannadice following his stint helping old pal Craig Levein with Scotland.

He has called on his players to turn their performances on their head and start games they way they have been finishing them.

They battled back to claim draws against AEK Athens and Hearts in recent weeks after losing the first goal.

Houston wants to see them go for the jugular from the beginning from now on.

He said: "In Athens and then at Tynecastle we've finished games really well and could have won in the end.

"Those were two really difficult games and it says a lot about how hard the boys have been working.

"The problem has been that we've given ourselves a mountain to climb in both games.

"So this weekend I want to see them playing like that from the very start."

Houston will throw Severin right in and may also have Danny Cadamarteri back after injury. But Danny Swanson won't make it tomorrow.

Housty said: "Scott played against Hibs and from what Gary Kirk and Paul Hegarty told me he did really well.

"Obviously he's not played much lately so we'll have to be careful. I'll speak to him about the weekend.

"Danny Cadamarteri is also coming along well so it's looking encouraging."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3132633/Shut-the-Red-Army-up-and-half-the-job-will-be-done.html#ixzz0zDftgZgF

2na5so0.jpg