Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

McGhee challenges Maguire to turn on his Scotland form

mizer

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1921728

STRIKER Chris Maguire was today challenged to recreate his Scotland goal-scoring form for Aberdeen FC.

Maguire has been Scotland’s star scorer, netting five times in the UEFA U21 Euro qualifying campaign.

The 21-year-old grabbed a late winner in a 2-1 win over Austria at Pittodrie to book Scotland’s place in next month’s play-offs.

However, the striker has yet to score on league duty for Aberdeen FC this season and missed a clear chance in the first minute of the 3-1 loss at Dundee United at the weekend.

Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee wants the striker to reproduce his international goal-scoring form at club level beginning at Motherwell tomorrow.

Dear Mr McGhee,

Young Chris is played up front for Scotland. It may be worth trying him up there rather than out wide on the wing as usual.

Regards

Mizer

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1921728

Dear Mr McGhee,

Young Chris is played up front for Scotland. It may be worth trying him up there rather than out wide on the wing as usual.

Regards

Mizer

Dear Mizer,

Young Chris has been given many chances through the middle at Aberdeen and has been just as ding there as he has been out wide.  I would like to suggest that under-21 football may just be his level.

Hope this helps.

BobbyBiscuit

Dear Mizer,

Young Chris has been given many chances through the middle at Aberdeen and has been just as ding there as he has been out wide.  I would like to suggest that under-21 football may just be his level.

Hope this helps.

BobbyBiscuit

I am far from thinking Maguire is a world beater but is decent when pushed up front. As in Alloa when in the second half he was played throught the middle he looked far better had several chances and scored the goal.

I am far from thinking Maguire is a world beater but is decent when pushed up front. As in Alloa when in the second half he was played throught the middle he looked far better had several chances and scored the goal.

There is talent there, undoubtedly but he's so lacking in game intelligence that it's frightening. The number of times he runs with his head down, not even attempting to look up to see what is happenng around him is pretty startling. These things will not change when his position changes.  There is obviously a case to answer as far as coaching goes, but he's been in the first team for 3 or 4 seasons now  and he doesn't seem to be using his own experiences to make himself a better player.

There is talent there, undoubtedly but he's so lacking in game intelligence that it's frightening. The number of times he runs with his head down, not even attempting to look up to see what is happenng around him is pretty startling. These things will not change when his position changes.  There is obviously a case to answer as far as coaching goes, but he's been in the first team for 3 or 4 seasons now  and he doesn't seem to be using his own experiences to make himself a better player.

Has he really had a decent chance through the middle on a regular, starting XI basis?  He had a run when we beat Falkirk to get into the top 6 and he scored 4 or 5 in the last few games did he not.  He got a chance at Killie and scored more than any of our strikers over the same period.  I doubt he'll ever be a new 20 goal striker we've dreamed of since Shearer left but it seems to me if he is playing he should be playing through the middle and with our current choice I would have him playing off who ever out of Vernon, Magennis and Velicka are fit.  Or if MM will persisit in 4231 then in the role Pawlett has been trying to play.

Has he really had a decent chance through the middle on a regular, starting XI basis?  He had a run when we beat Falkirk to get into the top 6 and he scored 4 or 5 in the last few games did he not.  He got a chance at Killie and scored more than any of our strikers over the same period.  I doubt he'll ever be a new 20 goal striker we've dreamed of since Shearer left but it seems to me if he is playing he should be playing through the middle and with our current choice I would have him playing off who ever out of Vernon, Magennis and Velicka are fit.  Or if MM will persisit in 4231 then in the role Pawlett has been trying to play.

I've seen him through the middle quite a few times, unfortunately my short to medium term memory is terrible so I can't recall if there was a period he played that position regularly.  I'm not saying that if he is playing he shouldn't be through the middle, just implying that he probably isn't the answer and that I certainly don't think he will replicate his Scotland under 21 form for us.  If it was a choice tomorrow of him and Paton through the middle I know who I'd go for but unfortunately my option seems to have fallen dramatically out of favour with the management and by all accounts, isn't likely to find favour again any time soon.

First half yesterday Maguire was shite, took bang on the head early doors in second half and from then until he was subbed looked like he had grown a set and actually looked like a footballer.

Maybe Dingus should give him a couple of slaps about the head prior to kick off every week

First half yesterday Maguire was shite, took bang on the head early doors in second half and from then until he was subbed looked like he had grown a set and actually looked like a footballer.

Maybe Dingus should give him a couple of slaps about the head prior to kick off every week

Thought the same Al, he was actually coming on to a game when he was taken off. In saying that though, although he didn't do too much, Megginson looks to have a better touch and a better idea of how to play the game.

Thought the same Al, he was actually coming on to a game when he was taken off. In saying that though, although he didn't do too much, Megginson looks to have a better touch and a better idea of how to play the game.

So are they 2 out of 3 positives we can take from the game yesterday?

1) Maguire kicks a kicking to get going

2) Megginson looks promising

3) We didn't lose - Which in itself is a depressing thought.

So are they 2 out of 3 positives we can take from the game yesterday?

1) Maguire kicks a kicking to get going

2) Megginson looks promising

3) We didn't lose - Which in itself is a depressing thought.

I was also impressed with Folly. First time I've seen him play and I think there could be more to come from him. Very tidy player who got around the pitch well.

It was no surprise to see Maguire once again not being in the one position he can play and we saw nothing from him in the first half. Second half not too sure if he was pushed a bit more centerally or not but looked far better and was involved in all the attacks and chances. Good work from him at the goal, and it was telling after his sub that we didnt have a chance after that.

Get him up front?

Get him to fuck more like the guy is murder, get him up front? his scoring record for a striker is one of the worst i have seen.

12 goals in 122 games 1 goal every 10 games? and people want him up front? hes lucky to be in the team at all - he should quit moaning and get on with it.

For me hes JUST ahead of Paton for a starting place, would sooner have mackie instead of him

Incidently i think he has more bookings than he has goals for aberdeen.

Waste of space!