Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

McGhee challenges Maguire to turn on his Scotland form

mizer

What's your point caller? How many games has Goodwillie started wide for DU?

I should say, I'm no particular fan of Maguire, and I think Aberdeen will probably end up being the biggest team he plays for in his career, but his continued misuse at club level is frustrating, particularly an example like Saturday.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a fucking team game! If he CANT play where he is asked then he shouldnt be in the TEAM

I can't speak for you, but my idea of a team is having players in the roles best suited to their attributes within the chosen system, as opposed to being shoehorned into unfamiliar roles at the expense of the TEAM.

What's your point caller? How many games has Goodwillie started wide for DU?

No idea, but what I was trying to say was even though in my eyes when playing for Scotland upfront Maguire looks the better, united are getting a better return from Goodwillie.

To be fair though U21 goalkeepers aren't always first team players at club level. the Icelandic goalie last week was the U19 goalie because the regular U21 goalie was injured. This really should be taken into account.

The goal against Iceland wasn't the only goal he's ever scored playing upfront. This really should be taken into account.

Its a fucking team game! If he CANT play where he is asked then he shouldnt be in the TEAM

So if McGhee wants to put him in goals then you would be comfortable with this since he should be able to play where he is asked? AND you would expect him to score as well? Awesome.  :thumbsup:

So if McGhee wants to put him in goals then you would be comfortable with this since he should be able to play where he is asked? AND you would expect him to score as well? Awesome.  :thumbsup:

I wouldnt be comfortable with it, and i would wonder what the fuck is going on, but i would expect the player to do his best and do his best for the team.

Until such time as he is good enough to play as a striker then he should stop acting like a jumped up wee tart and go about his job.

I was just using the Icelandic goalie as an example. I would imagine the Austrian goalie wasn't a first team player at club level or maybe even the Azerbaijan goalie. My point is he isn't exactly playing against top quality goalies or defenders in these U21 games.

Was his goal against Rangers/Scotland No.1 and rapist Alan McGregor good enough for you? or would you like a better keeper for his to score against?

Wouldnt have scored had Darren Mackie (striker) not put in a outstanding pass from the left wing for him to score..............Something along the lines of which i expect maguire to do when asked to play the same role.

Unless you are trying to tell me that Mackie has more ability than maguire?

Wouldnt have scored had Darren Mackie (striker) not put in a outstanding pass from the left wing for him to score..............Something along the lines of which i expect maguire to do when asked to play the same role.

I'm confused here, are you complaining here that Maguire scored a goal or that Mackie set up a goal?

On the wing yes. up front probably not.

Anyway. Maybe it's been pointed out before but I didn't notice if it was - In the last couple seasons Dundee Utd have been a far more cohesive team over all than AFC. They've been doing well while we've been thouroughly mince. Goodwillie is naturally going to reap the rewards of that playing up front and Maguire is naturally going to suffer stuck out wide with virtually everyone else underperforming. And I do think Maguire has underperformed too, but not getting a consistant start as striker is a mitigating factor (exactly the same mitigating factor that applies to pawlett playing CM).

But he did score. If he hadn't scored it you'd be moaning about that too, so in other words the guy can't win.  I'm not that keen on Maguire but credit where it's due, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing, or dare I say it, fishing.

On the wing yes. up front probably not.

Anyway. Maybe it's been pointed out before but I didn't notice if it was - In the last couple seasons Dundee Utd have been a far more cohesive team over all than AFC. They've been doing well while we've been thouroughly mince. Goodwillie is naturally going to reap the rewards of that playing up front and Maguire is naturally going to suffer stuck out wide with virtually everyone else underperforming. And I do think Maguire has underperformed too, but not getting a consistant start as striker is a mitigating factor (exactly the same mitigating factor that applies to pawlett playing CM).

Totally agree - although if you look at uniteds team a large amount of the first team squad are youngsters they took a risk on, something we neglected to do for a good amount of years.

I'm confused here, are you complaining here that Maguire scored a goal or that Mackie set up a goal?

Neither! I wasnt complaining - i was saying it was good bit of football  :thumbsup:

But he did score. If he hadn't scored it you'd be moaning about that too, so in other words the guy can't win.  I'm not that keen on Maguire but credit where it's due, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing, or dare I say it, fishing.

Thats not what i was saying at all.........But if Mackie a player of very very very limited abilty can adapt and do a job on the wing, surely Maguire can also?

Thats not what i was saying at all.........But if Mackie a player of very very very limited abilty can adapt and do a job on the wing, surely Maguire can also?

So because Mackie put in one decent cross all of a sudden he has adapted and is doing a job on the wing?

This really is some agenda you have Stoney...

So because Mackie put in one decent cross all of a sudden he has adapted and is doing a job on the wing?

This really is some agenda you have Stoney...

Not just one decent cross though is it? He does a really good job on the wings for us, even going back to Ebbe's time mackie has always put a decent ball in the box. Didnt deserve to be dropped for saturday after his last two performances.

Not just one decent cross though is it? He does a really good job on the wings for us, even going back to Ebbe's time mackie has always put a decent ball in the box. Didnt deserve to be dropped for saturday after his last two performances.

No idea if you're fishing but I agree, although I wouldn't play him wide left!

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1973995#ixzz1355a3L1A

CHRIS Maguire will have a central part to play as Aberdeen FC look to get back on the winning trail at Pittodrie tomorrow.

Aberdeen FC face Hibs at noon, looking to end a run of six SPL matches without a victory.

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee confirmed Maguire will play a more central role – as Scott Vernon’s strike partner – in an effort to unlock the Edinburgh side’s defence.

Maguire has played wide right for Aberdeen so far, but prefers the more central position, which he has performed in with great success for the Scotland Under-21 side.

Common sense prevails

outstanding for the first 70 minutes, first 10 minutes could tell he was in the mood but he should be like that every week effort costs nothing. Took his goal very well and set up another one and was only bettered by aluko who put in his best shift in an aberdeen top. Think there was a chance to add one maybe two more assists and he was either too slow looking up or went for glory - which is fair enough for a striker i guess.

Have absolutely no problem with maguire playing up front if he keeps up the performance he did for the first 70 minutes yesterday. the acid test comes in the next three games, hes having his chance - this is a big time for him i genuinly want the lad to do well but i feel his attitude is going to be his downfall.