Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

STV Sports Centre 10.35pm 24/10

BigAl

Same here. Had to laugh at Gazza threatening him, Jess must have been the only Dons player that day the wife beating prick didn't headbutt or elbow.

Suppose he couldn't catch him...  ;)

The semi final when Jess did the keepy ups was one of the best individual performances from a Dons player. Sad that we (or the rest ofthe league for that matter) have no players even close to his level now.

The semi final when Jess did the keepy ups was one of the best individual performances from a Dons player. Sad that we (or the rest ofthe league for that matter) have no players even close to his level now.

Yeah, Bernard and Grant did all the heavy work for him (Bernard chopping Gazza is a particularly fond memory) and he walked through them all night, his passing range at that time was fantastic.

Yeah, Bernard and Grant did all the heavy work for him (Bernard chopping Gazza is a particularly fond memory) and he walked through them all night, his passing range at that time was fantastic.

october 24th 1995 was one of the best days of my life and was the day i went from having a keen interest in football to being a proper fan.  Happy memories.  Wish i could remember bernard chooping gazza though

Eh, na. He said he maybe should have gone to Italy when Parma were after him but be wasn't willing to leave if the Dons weren't getting a fee for him. What a cunt, eh?

Why wouldnt we have got a fee for him? His prime (which I missed) was before the bosman rule and Parma werent sniffing about when he was under contract in 1996 and went to Coventry for £1.5million. Considering we paid about £600k to have him back a year later it would have probably been better for both teams if Strachan & Coventry had just given us £900k out of the goodness of their hearts. I wonder how much we will be paying Strachan and Co to take lee miller back in janaury?

Why wouldnt we have got a fee for him? His prime (which I missed) was before the bosman rule and Parma werent sniffing about when he was under contract in 1996 and went to Coventry for £1.5million. Considering we paid about £600k to have him back a year later it would have probably been better for both teams if Strachan & Coventry had just given us £900k out of the goodness of their hearts. I wonder how much we will be paying Strachan and Co to take lee miller back in janaury?

Only two teams made an offer to him. Coventry and Sampdoria.  Had he gone to Samp they'd have got him for nothing due to the rules then. Going to Coventry meant we got money for him. 

Why wouldnt we have got a fee for him?

Because he said so. I'm sure he knows more about his contract dealings than anyone else does.

Only two teams made an offer to him. Coventry and Sampdoria.  Had he gone to Samp they'd have got him for nothing due to the rules then. Going to Coventry meant we got money for him.

I'm sure he said Parma and Bari on TV.

Because he said so. I'm sure he knows more about his contract dealings than anyone else does.

I'm sure he said Parma and Bari on TV.

He said (according to the written version of the interview i saw last week) Bari, Torino and Parma were rumoured to be after him, but only Coventry and Samp made offers. Unless STV got it wrong... that would never happen, would it?  ;)

Jess was a wonderful, wonderful player.  All this talk of "potential" made my blood boil - all a media ploy at the inferiority complex within Scottish football.  He did the business for AFC and that's all that matters to us.

In any case, wasn't he top scorer one season with Bradford in the EPL?

Jess was a wonderful, wonderful player.  All this talk of "potential" made my blood boil - all a media ploy at the inferiority complex within Scottish football.  He did the business for AFC and that's all that matters to us.

In any case, wasn't he top scorer one season with Bradford in the EPL?

I'm sure you're correct. Either way, my mate who was a Bantam loved Jess :thumbsup:

So did he finally reveal the moment he reached his full potential?

was it being relegated with Bradford? Notts forest? or helping get Northampton to 3rd division football

In fairness Tom, maybe Jess would have achieved more if he didn't spend the second spell with us carrying the team on his back. With the obvious exception of Jim Leighton, Jess was the only one worth paying to see and considering the utter dross around him he performed to a very high standard and he ran himself into the ground for us. 

Maybe you can point out the time you played and scored for your country?

No, didn't fucking think so.

March 2006

Dunedin New Zealand

Backpackers challenge match - Scotland vs the world

Ask a stupid question etc etc :wave:

Well known fact I dont rate Jess aswell as several other better known players.

Accept that I (ERGO ME) dont think he was that big a deal and move on. Unless FIFA have declared me the sole authority on the abiity of all players behind my back if should not concern you

Perhaps if I had taken an interest in football before 1993 Id see things differently but its not the case.

I can only gather from the responses that the subject was not brought up in the interview