Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

STV Sports Centre 10.35pm 24/10

BigAl

March 2006

Dunedin New Zealand

Backpackers challenge match - Scotland vs the world

Ask a stupid question etc etc :wave:

Well known fact I dont rate Jess aswell as several other better known players.

Accept that I (ERGO ME) dont think he was that big a deal and move on. Unless FIFA have declared me the sole authority on the abiity of all players behind my back if should not concern you

Perhaps if I had taken an interest in football before 1993 Id see things differently but its not the case.

I can only gather from the responses that the subject was not brought up in the interview

Nae bother, I appreciate your right to an opinion but when it's fucking shite expect that I (aye, me) calls it out. Especially when it's an opinion formed with little knowledge of the game.

He's in the AFC Hall of Fame, played 18 times for Scotland, 500 odd senior apperance and scored over 100 goals and from 1997 to 2001 basically was AFC.

Put that in your backpack min.

Jess was very special and the media just banged on about potential because he didn't go to the old firm. We pumped the old firm regularly in their own back yard with Jess in the team. I remember one rainy night at the tattie bowel when we won 3-1 and Jess and Booth tore them a new arsehole. It was awesome. I still haven't seen footage of that game and would love to if it exists.

About a week before the Scottish Cup Final in 1990? Went one down and then Graham Watson (I think) equalised and then Jess and Booth did the damage. that was the first game I'd seen Booth playing (may well have been his debut) and he was excellent. 

You know something Tom, I remember being a bit frustrated with Jess in his first spell and that was when he was banging in doubles, hat tricks, fours and generally ripping everyone a new arsehole (inlcuding and especially the Old Firm), and it was just because he was young and he couldn't do it every week (and i was 11 years old at the time and I just expected it every week).  If you had no interest in him before 93, then you probably caught him after his leg break and arguably for the year after that he was subdued because he'd lost a yard in pace and he had to adjust.

I don't quite get the venom in your post about him fulfilling potential etc, as if you think Jess owes us something.  Jess owes us fuck all.  He was an excellent player for us and I'd give my right nut to have him in our team these days.  We've had some amount of shite, imposters and just general wankers wear our shirt.  Eoin Jess isn't one of them.

About a week before the Scottish Cup Final in 1990? Went one down and then Graham Watson (I think) equalised and then Jess and Booth did the damage. that was the first game I'd seen Booth playing (may well have been his debut) and he was excellent. 

You know something Tom, I remember being a bit frustrated with Jess in his first spell and that was when he was banging in doubles, hat tricks, fours and generally ripping everyone a new arsehole (inlcuding and especially the Old Firm), and it was just because he was young and he couldn't do it every week (and i was 11 years old at the time and I just expected it every week).  If you had no interest in him before 93, then you probably caught him after his leg break and arguably for the year after that he was subdued because he'd lost a yard in pace and he had to adjust.

I don't quite get the venom in your post about him fulfilling potential etc, as if you think Jess owes us something.  Jess owes us fuck all.  He was an excellent player for us and I'd give my right nut to have him in our team these days.  We've had some amount of shite, imposters and just general wankers wear our shirt.  Eoin Jess isn't one of them.

Nobody in their right mind can disagree with the above.

I've been hunting about on Youtube recently trying to find some decent footage of Jess or Booth but there's not much around, particularly for Booth.

The venom in my post is relating to his TV interview the day he asked for a transfer. He said at age 30 he still had not achieved his full potential. That potential seem to have been Lower league english football.

At the time we were just about starting to turn the corner with Ebbe but as I recall he criticised the club for its lack of ambition. 20months later we were matching Hertha Berlin in the Olympic stadium (Glasgow Sheep was there apparenlty) and he was playing mid table championship football.

No player owes a club anything other than to give 100% on the pitch. At the same time no one player is bigger than the team and his little parting shot at the club was not required.

You mentioned scott Booth. There was someone I rate and was pissed off when he left on both occasions. He did not turn down the chance to go to Europe which is why he got to play for the then European champions and became a star in the dutch league. First scot to get a world club cup winners medal too.

Admirable the thought that Jess sacrificed a serious career boost so we could get a bit of cash but I do wonder if the thought of upping sticks and moving to Italy didnt also have an effect. No shame if it did but only adds to the 'what might have been' note in his file.