Aberdeen v Falkirk - CIS Cup Q/final

Tyrant

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right where to start with that...

I honestly thought that if i were a falkirk fan I'd feel robbed by the match today (well the usually level headed falkirk fan i work with certainly did anyway) they out played us for large parts of the game and simply looked the better team overall.  They knocked the ball about better, created more chances and caused us a number of problems in the first half.  In the second half we came back into it a bit more but were still poor over all.

Aluko didnt seem fully fit, he looked as if he started well but faded badly as the game wore on and Falkirk marked him out of the game, especially after he seemed to take a kick and went down holding his ankle/Achilles, I'm not convinced he hasn't been rushed back.  Hartley was almost anonymous (obviously not at the first goal, took up a very good position and looked like a good headed finish) but despite his lack of influence on the ball he lead the team quite well, still seems like the captain we've been lacking just wish he could impose himself more.

Of the players on the pitch I think Robertson and Jack performed well, I thought they were two of our better players, Robertson certainly seemed keen to put his body on the line when defending, taking numerous nasty knocks only to get up and carry on.  Jack I feel out performed Hartley and was always looking for the ball and tracking back to make important tackles when required, I thought both young players showed very impressive positional sense for players of that age group, we could well have two promising players here and two I'd certainly mark above the majority of our team tonight.

I thought Macardle performed ok, he seemed to be pushed off the ball quite easily although this looked to be because he was left exposed at the back by the likes of diamond. 

Maguire looked lively before picking up a knock and it looked like he was going to be replaced should it have gone to extra time, credit to him for playing on when obviously struggling to allow Paton to get a proper warm up. Showed signs of an improvement in attitude and a blossoming partnership with Vernon. Neither contributed as much as I'd hoped though.

Overall I honestly think we stole that match, we were out played for large periods of the game by a Falkirk team that knocked it about better than we did and a soft penalty stole it for us.  That's not to say there isn't positives to be taken from the game, the young players were impressive and there seems to be a bit more grit to grind out results than there has been in recent seasons, as well as having a real leader on the pitch in hartley, despite not having the bbest of games overall ( Obviously it was great he got 2 goals, I just think he didn't play very well apart from that).

Delighted we're through after a real scare but I'd worry if we played like that in the next round...

Finally this may be very controversial but the last couple of times I've been lucky enough to be taken to the football with work I've been sitting right infront of Stewart Milne.  Now I'm by no means a fan of how the club has been run over the years but I've been noticing more and more just how much he actually cares about the club, he seems to kick every ball from his main stand seat and was jumping up and down like an avid fan when both goals went in. 

Its starting to hit home just how difficult his job must be.  I know the debt racked up throughout his tenure is fairly crippling right now but the more i think about it the more i think he's in an impossible position of being caught between a fan base wanting to spend money on improving the team (as is perfectly natural) and running a successful business.  It was only in thinking just how few clubs manage this it made me realise just how difficult this is.  I'm by no means a milne sympathiser, I've been very critical over the years about his running of the club but lately I've been understanding just how much he cares about the club, and frankly in the absence of a sheik he's the best we've got. 

So was it a penalty?

I'd need to see a replay but my instincts at the time said that it was quite soft (seen them given but seen them turned down too....) like I said I'd need to see it again from a better angle to say for sure though.

At the end of the day, I'm just happy we're through. Hopefully catch the highlights somewhere, if only to see Elvis' face at FT :D

From the stuff I've read, it sounds like the football was terrible, but in the cup, it's the result that matters. Please let this be a stepping stone AFC. Let's try and build some momentum and get this season kicked off!

:AFC:

It wasnt a great game, but midweek games rarely are, in previous seasons we would have lost a game like this - we did lose games like this. It was a good result and a really good fight back.

And it has to be said done with a team with 5 or 6 of our best first X1 missing.

Aberdeen

* 21 Howard

* 02 McArdle

* 05 Diamond

* 16 Ifil

* 42 Robertson

* 08 Hartley

* 11 Aluko

* 22 Jack

* 07 Maguire

* 09 Vernon

* 10 Mackie

Just out of interest stoney, which 6 would be dropped and who would take their place? I'm not being arsey or anything, just interested to know what you think our strongest 11 would be.

I think I can see 4 possible changes / improvements in that team.

Aberdeen

* 21 Howard

* 02 McArdle

* 05 Diamond

* 16 Ifil (Consi)

* 42 Robertson (Vuja)

* 08 Hartley

* 11 Aluko

* 22 Jack (Folly)

* 07 Maguire

* 09 Vernon

* 10 Mackie (Pawlett)

Just out of interest stoney, which 6 would be dropped and who would take their place? I'm not being arsey or anything, just interested to know what you think our strongest 11 would be.

I think I can see 4 possible changes / improvements in that team.

Also think that if 100% Fit fyvie would be playing, for who i dont know.

First half we were really dreadful. Falkirk looked hungrier, attacked better, defended better, knocked the ball about with confidence and were always looking to play it on the deck. We couldn't get near to them and their goal was coming. Once again though, worringly, it was a corner deep into the back post. Howard needs to work on commanding his area as there were 2 or 3 times last night when he should have come out to collect the ball, only to stick to his line and cause unneceessary panic. From their goal, it looked as if there was only one winner and Falkirk would be adding to the cup humiliations. Aberdeen had no imagination, no ability to keep the ball and very few chances. Falkirk deservedly ahead.

Second half, we started brightly after a much needed rocket up the arse from McGhee I'm sure. Started to take the game more to Falkirk and play a bit of football instead of humping it up to the tireless Vernon. Started to edge closer and closer to Falkirks goal. Hartley's first was a well worked header with Mackie dinking it to the on-rushing Hartely to loop it into the net. Just what we needed at that point and really got the crowd behind the team. For some strange reason, we started to sit back again, allowing Falkirk time and space to create some dangerous openings which could have easily punished us. The game looked to be heading to extra time until the penalty which I wasn't sure about. Looked a bit soft right enough and judging from Maguire's reaction when it was awarded, he was more suprised/pleased that it was given rather than not be. Hartley again. What an expert penalty kicker, straight in the corner of the net!

Massive sigh of relief! Thats twice now in this cup that we have had to come from behind against dangerous lower league teams that we could and would have easily lost in seasons gone by.

Howard needs to work on commanding his area as I said. Ifil is fucking atrocious, get him out of the side. Dreadful. Can't pass a ball, can't defend, no strength, no pace. Diamond and McArdle were decent enough although McArdle seemed to get pushed off the ball easily in dangerous positions. Robertson, I thought, had a average game, decent enough for a 17 year old. Had a few sore knocks which didnt seem to faze him. Mackie was just Mackie last night. Had some good surging runs and did have an assist yet at times couldn't control or pass the ball! Ryan Jack was excellent last night, never tired, put himself about and looked the part. Looked to push the team on and full of energy. Hartely got both goals and was a real captain but couldn't really stamp his authority on the game. Always speaking though and looking for the ball and passing it onwards. Aluko had a few good surging runs yet was marked out of the game and often had 3 or 4 Falkirk players round him when he had the ball. Difficult nighht for him. Vernon was tireless. What a shift he put in and got very little in return, full of running and always looking to take the ball down from a long ball yet didnt really have a chance or a sniff at goal whatsoever. Tended to come deep for the ball which is not where he is effective. Maguire was very quiet in the first half, but then again most of his team mates were also. Improved in the second half and looked to run with the ball and taking a shot.

P.S - As was mentioned a few times last night, thats got to be one of the poorest right sides in an Aberdeen side ever.

Delighted we got through! :thumbsup: