Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

P&J: McGhee not concerned with results at this stage

mizer

By Paul Third

Published: 04/11/2010

ABERDEEN hover perilously near the bottom of the Scottish Premier League but manager Mark McGhee insists results do not matter at this stage of the season.

The Dons have three huge fixtures coming up with a home game against Caley Thistle sandwiched between trips to Celtic and Rangers.

The Pittodrie club is eighth in the SPL, two points above bottom club St Mirren, who beat Aberdeen 2-1 on Saturday.

With just four points gained from a possible 24 the Aberdeen supporters are desperate to see their side pick-up some much-needed points. McGhee insists there has been progress, despite the miserable run of league form and his club’s season will not be defined by the next fortnight.

He said: “We may come out of the next three games with one point but prouder of the performances than we are following the St Mirren game. I am not going to concern myself with results too much at this stage. Once we have played Rangers we will not be too much further behind third place than the six points we are at present. We have won two out of the last three games, so there are signs of progress but there is also room for improvement.

Massive

“Maybe three games in a week was too much for Sone Aluko. We will find out soon enough as the games go on.”

McGhee insists he is calm about the club’s league position but he knows there is still massive room for improvement. Defensive deficiencies have crept into his side’s play with the players’ inability to deal with set-pieces fast becoming a major source of frustration.

McGhee knows what the answer is but it is his players who must provide the improved attitude, aggression, improved workrate and better concentration he craves.

He said: “Is it tempo, attitude or workrate or a combination of all three which is affecting us? It’s probably a bit of all of these factors.

“What I do know is when we go to Celtic on Saturday we will have to be ready from the start.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1991333/#ixzz14IsfrpRt

Once we have played Rangers we will not be too much further behind third place than the six points we are at present

I know, that was the one that really cracked me up - has he based that on who M'well are playing over corresponding 3 games? I read that on that bog, dumped my load in a oner after reading that one!