To sack or not to sack?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use this board much, so I have no pre-conceived bias against anyone, or reasons to rubbish anyones posts.

but I'm sorry stoney, I cannot possibly see how any dons fan can defend McGhee a this point in time.

4 points from 30. that's 1 win, 1 draw from 10 games.including  9-0 defeat. In a league as sh1t as the SPL, that's unforgivable.

I think his signings have been not too bad. I'm even gonna ignore the foster fullback debacle. but if anything that's even more damning. he's signed players that are decent, and he cant get them to beat f**king st Mirren. I was at that game last week and we were a shambles. mostly in defence (but I still won't mention the fullback situation, I won't even mention his "man management" of our goalkeepers).

if you can point out 3 press conferences since the start of the season, where he has sounded like

a) he was in control of our situation

b) he sounded like he knew how to resolve our problems

then, I'll back you and Mark himself in turning things around.

I really wanted him to do well. I really didn't want us to waste more money on another new manager/squad rebuilding, but I simply cant see another option. yes the board are culpable but we know we can't budge them. but if we're lucky we might just get someone in who can form the ragtag bunch of wankers we have in our squad into something resembling a pub team. that alone should guarantee SPL football next season.

so far we've won 25% of our games. I'm not a Hamilton/Motherwell/St Mirren fan. To me that is an unacceptable return and something has to change. if you think that's good enough, then we're not on the same page at all.

I don't use this board much, so I have no pre-conceived bias against anyone, or reasons to rubbish anyones posts.

but I'm sorry stoney, I cannot possibly see how any dons fan can defend McGhee a this point in time.

4 points from 30. that's 1 win, 1 draw from 10 games.including  9-0 defeat. In a league as sh1t as the SPL, that's unforgivable.

I think his signings have been not too bad. I'm even gonna ignore the foster fullback debacle. but if anything that's even more damning. he's signed players that are decent, and he cant get them to beat f**king st Mirren. I was at that game last week and we were a shambles. mostly in defence (but I still won't mention the fullback situation, I won't even mention his "man management" of our goalkeepers).

if you can point out 3 press conferences since the start of the season, where he has sounded like

I really wanted him to do well. I really didn't want us to waste more money on another new manager/squad rebuilding, but I simply cant see another option. yes the board are culpable but we know we can't budge them. but if we're lucky we might just get someone in who can form the ragtag bunch of wankers we have in our squad into something resembling a pub team. that alone should guarantee SPL football next season.

so far we've won 25% of our games. I'm not a Hamilton/Motherwell/St Mirren fan. To me that is an unacceptable return and something has to change. if you think that's good enough, then we're not on the same page at all.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Superb post mate, the biggest problem on many of the Aberdeen FC forums is that too many people have an agenda.  Our support was divided during the Calderwood reign.  Some thought we could do better, others were happy with their lot - resulting in fights. 

I read all three of the main Aberdeen forums and what we have now are a couple of groups of vocal e-supporters; the first group who hated our previous manager with such a passion, that they canvassed hard for his removal.  They are so obsessed with justifying their actions and saving face that they can't see the wood for the trees.  The second group were happy with the status quo under the previous regime.  Aberdeen were competitive and established as a top 6 six team - but there was little ambition for anything else.  We were, however, a million miles away from winning anything and the football was dire, but at least we weren't a laughing stock – which, incidentally, we are again.  These people are furious, that the idiots, as they see them, have won... causing the club to break something which they did not feel needed fixing.  Different people with different expectations of Aberdeen Football Club.  It’s so blatant that I'm actually embarrassed for the people in question.

However, as you correctly mention facts are facts. Anyone with an ounce of sense, or credibility, can see that McGhee's reign has been a disaster for start to finish.  He needs to go.  One thing that should united all our supporters, whichever side you are on, is that the current fare at Pittodrie is simply unacceptable.  Willie Miller should also fall on his sword and clearly there is a bigger problem, higher up in the board room, which needs addressing if we are to move forward in the long term – but that’s another argument. 

You can defend Mark McGhee and say he's had less money than his predecessor - but that does not justify just how bad we have become under his stewardship.  Someone made a great point earlier, that technically, yes McGhee has had less funds, but comparatively that actually isn’t the case at all – as the only thing that has changed over the past 6 or 7 years is the monetary definition of “fuck-all.”  Aberdeen players still command a hefty wage, in comparison to other SPL clubs.  McGhee should have done much better with the resources at his disposal, much, much, better… and we certainly shouldn’t be getting hammered by another team in our league 9-0 and losing home fixtures tamely, to clubs with a fraction of our budget.

It will be an utter disgrace if no action is taken on Wednesday morning.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/mcghee-bullish-but-aberdeen-manager-teeters-on-brink-1.1067120

Mark McGhee’s future as Aberdeen manager could be decided today as talks take place to thrash out whether he will be in charge against Rangers at Ibrox on Saturday.

Herald Sport believes a compensation deal may already have been agreed and that he will leave the club within the next 24 hours.

His 18-month tenure, which has yielded just 17 wins in 59 games, certainly looked to have limped to a close when his side went down 2-1 to Inverness Caledonian Thistle at Pittodrie last night.

But McGhee was in defient mood when asked if he will remain in charge.

“I have a contract,” he said, “and until I am told otherwise, I am the manager. Where did that talk come from? The people who were cheering when we lost a last-minute goal at St Mirren, people who sit in this room and ask me these types of questions? Those are the people that are putting that out there. Stewart Milne, [the chairman], Willie Miller [director of football] and Duncan Fraser, [chief executive] the board, they are the people that make the decision and I know what they are thinking.

Just go.

As others have already said, an excellent post lad.

Please join us more often  :thumbsup:

Why is it the same nuggets who got fed up of the jimmies bringing us European football, creamed themselves over McGhee getting the job, now want him sacked?

The problem of the last 10 years is chronic under investment and replacing players with poorer players.

How the fuck is spunking a small fortune on sacking McGhee & co going to help that?

Wiggy and the board are killing AFC, the fans aren't far behind because they wanted JC out - what a fucking great idea that was.

Some cash on top of the team we had v Copenhagen would have seen us kick on, the decision by wiggy to break up that team and sell is THE ONLY reason we are in this mess.

It won't actually matter if we sack McGhee any improvement will be temporary and we'll be back here again soon. Who the fuck is going to want to helm our 'cancerous' club anyway?

Why is it the same nuggets who got fed up of the jimmies bringing us European football, creamed themselves over McGhee getting the job, now want him sacked?

The problem of the last 10 years is chronic under investment and replacing players with poorer players.

How the fuck is spunking a small fortune on sacking McGhee & co going to help that?

Wiggy and the board are killing AFC, the fans aren't far behind because they wanted JC out - what a fucking great idea that was.

Some cash on top of the team we had v Copenhagen would have seen us kick on, the decision by wiggy to break up that team and sell is THE ONLY reason we are in this mess.

It won't actually matter if we sack McGhee any improvement will be temporary and we'll be back here again soon. Who the fuck is going to want to helm our 'cancerous' club anyway?

So just close the doors and call it a day?

A lot of those players wanted to fuck off for various reasons and werenlt going to stay even if we could afford to offer competitive contracts. Milne isn't at fault for that.

Aye Milne isn't one for spunking money into the club for players but FFS fuck sake if we didn't have him we'd have been in a lot of deeper financial shite.  ::)

A lot of those players wanted to fuck off for various reasons and werenlt going to stay even if we could afford to offer competitive contracts. Milne isn't at fault for that.

Aye Milne isn't one for spunking money into the club for players but FFS fuck sake if we didn't have him we'd have been in a lot of deeper financial shite.  ::)

Ok, fair enough, her secured the debt (which he arguably helped to create). So where is the evidence of progress?

Its all fine and wel being a debt free entity, but is it acceptable to be debt free and playing in the first division?

Ok, fair enough, her secured the debt (which he arguably helped to create). So where is the evidence of progress?

Its all fine and wel being a debt free entity, but is it acceptable to be debt free and playing in the first division?

I didn't say there had been progress. You'd need to be a retard to genuinely think that.

Because the McGhee experiment hasn't worked

Correct.

Because if we don't, there's a real chance that we will get relegated.

'The fans' - I think you'll find they were rather split on that issue, not that it really matters either way anymore.

Not the ONLY, but a very big one.

No doubt.

Quote from: ntbear on Today at 10:18:58 AM

No doubt.

The truth really hurts

Whether we wanted JC sacked or not 18 months ago is neither here nor there.  The here and now of the situation is that we have regressed under McGhee.  You can blame under-investment all you like, and even though I agree with that to an extent, it is the same story for every other SPL club.  We still have a budget that should be good enough to attract players better than those who go to the ICTs and Motherwells of this world.

So the question has to be this - why aren't we doing better than we currently are?  There are a plethora of convoluted and contrived answers to that question going back over the 15 years of Milne's disastrous involvement with AFC, but the very simple answer in this current situation is that the players just aren't good enough, players McGhee has signed, players that McGhee persists with, players that McGhee puts out on the pitch to play in a certain way.  The players have zero creative freedom and play a very rigid system where the ball goes from back to front very quickly, bypassing our midfield and our most influential player.  Point being, a better manager will get more out of the players we have.

McGhee stated he wanted hungry players.  It looks to me like most of the other teams have hungrier players than we do.  Bar one or two individuals, our team has no heart, no bottle and no fight.  The saddest fact is that whilst Hartley ticks this box, it only serves to show that none of the rest of them do.  We need a team full of leaders to get us out of this situation.

In other words, what happens NOW is important, not what happened a year and a half ago, so let's stop bleating about the past and get behind the team at a time when they need us most.  Milne isn't important, Miller isn't important, McGhee isn't important, the survival of our club is important and it wont survive without support.