Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Aberdeen FC Statement 10/11/10

BobbyBiscuit

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is it isnt it.  If the board sack MM ans SL with a large severance package, the supporters will demand (and rightly so) that if this cash is available for this, then why is the cash not available to make a better team? Especially after the two jimmys pay off.

The board were/are hoping that MM would resign.

Bastards.

SSN have just said that we're releasing a statement this evening. What the WTF?  Have they just missed the earlier statement or did they just presume that it was some sort of sick joke?

Nae sure if it was an official statement or just journalists putting 2+2 together

Seemingly radio Scotland saying that the board meeting still continuing.

My understanding is that the Board are not in agreement about the best course of action. Mainly as a result of Milne's input. He does not want to sack McGhee at this moment, possibly due to the costs involved and potentially then having to spend more on a replacement who is likely to make little difference given where we are going to be shopping.

Have to say that, as controversial as it is, I agree with Milne.

But if we don't change - we're heading for the bottom of the table

Very true but what change will reverse that ? I'm not convinced that there is an obvious choice out there that we can afford and can be sure will turn it around. There is a rot at Aberdeen that can't be fixed by a different manager as far as I'm concerned. I'm not suggesting McGhee is the right choice for the future but I think we have to stick with him as we have very little options that are better. It's a fucking tragedy that we are here...but we are.

My understanding is that the Board are not in agreement about the best course of action. Mainly as a result of Milne's input. He does not want to sack McGhee at this moment, possibly due to the costs involved and potentially then having to spend more on a replacement who is likely to make little difference given where we are going to be shopping.

How much would you say this is down to the fact the debt is repayable early 2011?

How much would you say this is down to the fact the debt is repayable early 2011?

Who can tell, possibly so. It's only speculation on my part anyway so don't read too much into it. Milne is a businessman first and foremost and what ever is said about him he will know his way around P&Ls and balance sheets and pissing away money in this environment is not a smart move. He has had a history of holding back on sackings has he not ? Sure he was reported as the reason Ebbe stuck around so long and possibly sanctioned a 3 year deal for JC when the rot was setting in there.

Just as an example, shopping lower down the market than Aberdeen, Mark Yates this summer managed to assemble an entirely new squad (we had one player signed on for this season at the end of May), to replace a squad that narrowly avoided a second successive relegation. Despite not having our best midfielder or centre back for large parts of this season so far, he has managed to identify, coach and organise this squad of players to be sitting just out of the play-off spots in November.

Now the costs involved in punting the last incumbent was the reason I was very vocal about it being the wrong decision, but to compare the Aberdeen managerial records of the two is quite frankly a slight on Calderwood who was a veritable success compared the mismanaged incompetence of McGhee's transitional reign. The potential chance of falling crowds and reduced corporate income were sighted as reasons for Calderwood's demise, well in-case the board hasn't noticed the reality of that premonition is here, only under the watch of McGhee.

In an ideal world McGhee would realise that by stubbornly hanging on for a undoubtedly undeserved pay-off he is tarnishing his standing as a club legend and maybe if he was a manager here in the time he created his legend McGhee may have done the right thing. Unfortunately in the modern football world where football folk probably do kick their Grunnies  ;) for £50 a week more than their current contract, you can't hold that attitude, however contemptible, against McGhee. Therefore doing the right thing has to fall at the feet of the board.

Everyone on that board should be pulling up their sofa cushions tonight to pay off the current coaching team. There needs to a unanimous decision in appointing a successor and the successor needs to be given what's left over after the pay-off added to anything they find in their Range Rover ashtrays to buy players for what-ever position a competent manager would identify as requiring attention, in the January window.

As I mentioned before, either McGhee or replacement needs to sort out the balance of the squad (full backs) and organise defence.

Given resources - McGhee could probably sort the squad balance.. If he is aware of it..

I have no faith in him to sort out the leaking goals however.

As I mentioned before, either McGhee or replacement needs to sort out the balance of the squad (full backs) and organise defence.

Given resources - McGhee could probably sort the squad balance.. If he is aware of it..

I have no faith in him to sort out the leaking goals however.

Do the two not go hand in hand?  Having two full backs should stop us leaking the types of goals we have been losing, ie headers from either set pieces or from runs down our wings?

McGhee left in a waiting game

Aberdeen board is divided on whether to back or sack manager after lengthy meeting

By Michael Gannon

Published: 11/11/2010

Mark McGhee’s Aberdeen future remains uncertain as the Pittodrie club’s board is divided on whether to back or sack the manager.

Chairman Stewart Milne and his board met yesterday and spent several hours discussing McGhee’s future following the club’s defeat by Caley Thistle at Pittodrie on Tuesday.

The 2-1 loss to the Highlanders followed Saturday’s club record 9-0 reverse at Celtic Park has piled on the pressure but Dons directors are split on whether they should call time on McGhee’s 17-months in charge.

The club remained a closed shop for much of the day as the board plotted its next move, before eventually calling time after 8pm.

The club’s spokesman said: “Discussions were brought to a halt last night and will resume in the morning. No decision has yet been taken on the manager's future.”

There was agreement on Saturday the loss at Celtic Park was a defeat too far for the club, coming in a dismal run of 10 matches producing just four points.

But the display in the loss at Pittodrie on Tuesday and McGhee’s passionate post-match interview has softened the stance of some directors.

The financial implications of dismissing the manager and his coaching staff of Colin Meldrum and Scott Leitch must be considered.

It will cost around £300,000 in compensation and there is also the added cost of bring in a new management team and then providing funds to rebuild the team in January.

It is only 18 months since £600,000 was spent removing former manager Jimmy Calderwood and his staff of Jimmy Nicholl and Sandy Clarke and a further £200,000 on recruiting McGhee.

Whether the club can afford to sack McGhee must be weighed against whether they can afford not to.

The tumbling attendances, just 5,917 came through the turnstiles on Tuesday night, the fourth sub-8,000 crowd of the season, has severely dented the club coffers.

McGhee had a measure support from the stands against Caley Thistle, but it is the supporters who are voting with their feet who are the biggest concern.

While a day of protracted discussions ended without a resolution, for McGhee it was business as usual.

The manager arrived at Pittodrie early and prepared for training as promised in his passionate post-match address following the Caley Thistle encounter.

Leitch and Meldrum put the squad through a light workout at Pittodrie yesterday morning before McGhee faced his players at the end of the session. There was no looking back as the team talk focused solely on Saturday’s ominous trip to Ibrox.

To add to the intrigue, McGhee managed to evade the waiting press pack with a decoy move more suited to espionage than football management. A member of staff moved his car from the front entrance of the stadium to the Richard Donald Stand before another employee drove the vehicle away. Somewhere amid the bizarre proceedings McGhee disappeared.

To add to the intrigue, McGhee managed to evade the waiting press pack with a decoy move more suited to espionage than football management. A member of staff moved his car from the front entrance of the stadium to the Richard Donald Stand before another employee drove the vehicle away. Somewhere amid the bizarre proceedings McGhee disappeared

if only his tactics worked to such a degree on the pitch.

I really can't believe that people are changing their mind due to an interview. We can all get passionate about the Dons, it doesn't mean we can successfully manage them.  And the performance on Tuesday? ok, it wasn't a disasterous performance but if that's what we've got to look forward to then we'll continue to be in trouble.