Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Reduced terms offered to Out of Contract trio

BobbyBiscuit

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, it's only Langfield that I would be worried about going as Howard is no way near good enough.

But fair play from the club and can't argue with their decision.

Agreed.  Our inability to attract half decent goal keepers would have me seriously worried.  We need to keep Langfield IMHO.

It's clear Aluko doesn't want to play for McGhee.

Diamond is a strange one.  He's hardly put himself in the shop window with his recent performances.  I can't see how he'd get a better club than Aberdeen.

P&J article too

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2012181?UserKey=

Aberdeen’s footballers can expect reduced contract offers if they want to stay at Pittodrie. Defenders Zander Diamond and Jerel Ifil, goalkeeper Jamie Langfield, midfielder Derek Young and forward Chris Maguire will be free agents at the of the season.

They can all sign pre-contract agreements with other clubs from January 1, but tumbling attendances, combined with the continuing impact of the collapse of Irish broadcaster Setanta, means the terms on offer will be reduced.

The Dons have the fourth-highest football budget in the SPL behind Rangers, Celtic and Hearts. But, with home gates now falling below 8,000 and the club’s focus on funding a move to a new stadium at Loirston Loch on the southern outskirts of the city, the days of big spending to retain players have gone.

Many of the first-team squad will have to cope with a basic wage, topped up by appearance and win bonuses.

Whether that is enough to retain the key players who will be crucial to manager Mark McGhee’s hopes of improving a team which is facing a season-long struggle against relegation after only three wins and one draw from the opening 13 league games remains to be seen.

Football agent Kevin Drinkell, who brokered Charlie Mulgrew’s move from Aberdeen to Celtic in the summer, reckons another downsize is looming in the SPL and a move south of the border might not offer salvation.

He said: “Clubs have their budget and those which have overspent have found themselves in trouble. There seems to be more of a realisation about what is realistic.

“The bulk of money in football seems to be media driven and the SPL finds itself in the unfortunate position of dealing with the demise of Setanta.

“The gap between the SPL and the English Championship and League 1 is still there, but even now there is some squeezing of the market in England.

“There has been a tightening of the belts.

“I always tell players they can create their own wealth if they perform.”

Dons director of football Willie Miller will have to persuade players to sign new contracts but a club spokesman said: “We will have one of the most competitive budgets in the SPL but it is no secret all clubs are in a similar position.”

It includes Ifil and Young too - but lets be honest they will not be staying.

Agreed.  Our inability to attract half decent goal keepers would have me seriously worried.  We need to keep Langfield IMHO.

It's clear Aluko doesn't want to play for McGhee.

Diamond is a strange one.  He's hardly put himself in the shop window with his recent performances.  I can't see how he'd get a better club than Aberdeen.

I think it would be best for all parties if diamond left. He's not progressed, and doesn't have the right attitude or desire.

Aluko, it's shame, but it's clear he still strops about the international call up gate from last season.

Good to see Ifil on that list too. But given our track record of replacing first team players, I'm slightly concerned at the number that are "regular" first team players.

P&J article too

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2012181?UserKey=

It includes Ifil and Young too - but lets be honest they will not be staying.

Young will stay if he's offered anything as Stewart said.

Diamond can fuck off, as can Ifil.

I can understand where folk are coming from about Langfield but I've never been a big fan and to be honest, if there isn't a better goalkeeper than him for that money in the whole of Europe (or beyond) then there is a goalkeeper crisis stretching much further than Scotland it would seem.

There has been an air of bad attitude and unprofessionalism within the team for years now. Diamond and Langfield and Aluko are pretty much the ones still there from when it seemed to start (after Anderson left, in my opinion), and for that reason I wouldn't be sorry to see any of them go. (I may be way off the mark with that, but for someone outside looking in it's a process of elimination)

Young will stay if he's offered anything as Stewart said.

Diamond can fuck off, as can Ifil.

I can understand where folk are coming from about Langfield but I've never been a big fan and to be honest, if there isn't a better goalkeeper than him for that money in the whole of Europe (or beyond) then there is a goalkeeper crisis stretching much further than Scotland it would seem.

There has been an air of bad attitude and unprofessionalism within the team for years now. Diamond and Langfield and Aluko are pretty much the ones still there from when it seemed to start (after Anderson left, in my opinion), and for that reason I wouldn't be sorry to see any of them go. (I may be way off the mark with that, but for someone outside looking in it's a process of elimination)

that's fair enough, and I don't disagree with it. However, my only concern is, under McGhee, the two goalkeeps he has brought in have been worse than JL. All I can do is hope that if Langfield chooses to leave, that we do find a suitable replacement.

But you are right, a good place for the club to start would be the unprofessionalism that may have been encouraged under the previous regime/when Anderson left.

if there isn't a better goalkeeper than him for that money in the whole of Europe (or beyond) then there is a goalkeeper crisis stretching much further than Scotland it would seem.

Oh there are many, but do you think we will be able to find any of them......

Howard is not that bad, if there was a stronger defence infront of him he would be doing much better.

His shot stopping is excellent, and his kicking is much better than langfields.

At corners and crosses we would be better with a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man than Howard.

Oh there are many, but do you think we will be able to find any of them......

At corners and crosses we would be better with a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man than Howard.

I would agree with that, but i go back to what i said about havin a better defence, if you trust your center half to clear their lines then he wouldnt have to come out as often

Langfield Played 7 - Won 1, Drawn 1, Lost 5 Conceded 20 and no clean sheets

Howard Played 10 Won 5 Drawn 0 Lost 5 Conceded 12 and 3 clean sheets.

I know who i'd want in my goals on saturday

Who was the last player to be in negotiations until the summer to end up staying?

Not sure about the summer but Lee Miller signed a new deal with us toward the end of season 07/08 (I think).  It looked at one stage he'd be a dead cert to leave on a free.