Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Reduced terms offered to Out of Contract trio

BobbyBiscuit

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what else we could have got for the fee and the wages we are having to offer

You see, I don't get this attitude at all.  This is the same attitude that subscribes to the "yeah we could get rid of McGhee, but I can't think that there's nobody else out there better to do the job".  We as fans don't make the decisions, we trust our club to make the correct decisions in footballing and budgetary terms.  And when we can't trust them anymore:

I am very much in the "there has to be better out there" camp now but I have no confidence in McGhee's ability to find him

Then the fans turn.  There absolutely has to be better out there.  Other teams manage to do it on lesser budgets, so why can't our manager?  The crux of the issue is we still have the 4th highest football budget in Scotland but currently only have the 11th best team.

McGhee has bought poorly.  He made such a big meal in the summer about finding hungry young boys to play for us.  He found one hungry old boy whom he is using ineffectively in footballing terms due to long ball tactics, and a group of others who have not improved last year's miserable team.

I've sat behind the dugout for the last three home games and been completely unimpressed with the lack of direction or urgency coming from it.  When any instruction is passed on, the players look decidedly fed-up.

I think the players mentioned here seem to have been poorly managed.  Aluko, Diamond and Langfield do not suddenly become poor footballers.  How can one manager manage to get such good performances from them and then the next one can't?  It's not all down to the attitude of the players.

I'm not trying to be Positive or anything, but I saw the Thompson loon on STV last night saying the same thing for the Arabs.

The Setanta deal and general Malaise in Scottish football has hit everyone hard and a fair few players will be forced to accept lower deals not just at AFC.

I do however agree that having the 4th highest wage budget and being 11th in the league is unnaceptable.

I'd tell Diamond and Aluko they have until 1st Jan to sign reduced terms or they officially become transfer listed, and see if we can pick up a pittance for either or both of them. If they sign reduced terms then so be it, not sure I'd have offered them anything, but in Dingus we must trust, so be it.

Agree I'd keep Clangers, but only on our terms, whilst scouring eastern europe to pick up a decent value for money keepr like every other fucker manages to do.

Following on from a point that BTR made re Diamond I'd like to know why everyone is dying to bin him. Taking into account, that is, that we're not going to replace him. We have an awful history of not replacing players and when we do they're not as good. Hartley replacing Kerr is one of the exceptions to that.

Diamond was and still can be a good player. He's currently going through a "blip" in form but he was decent and you don't become shite over the course of one season. He needs a Russell Anderson or a Scott Severin to play alongside but if he's got that he's class. Even getting on the score sheet now and then.

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with his Facebook antics recently and admit that when I found out about that coupled with his poor form I was one of the ones that would have been happy to kick his arse out the door but I'm now convinced that he can regain his form (whether that be under McGhee or someone else) and be an asset once again. I know it's difficult to justify us carrying a player who's been off form for so long but as I alluded to earlier I have absolutely no faith in AFC bringing in a replacement that's going to be up to the level that Diamond was at a season or two back.

Obviously this is all completely irrelevant because there's no danger he'd stay for less money. He'll get a move to Englandshire.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/2015514

‘No pay cuts for Aberdeen FC players’ McGhee’s pledge to keep his star men

By Charlie Allan  :finger:

Published: 19/11/2010

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee today reassured his players they won’t be asked to take massive pay cuts in the summer.

Winger Sone Aluko, striker Chris Maguire, defender Zander Diamond and keeper Jamie Langfield are among those whose Aberdeen FC contracts will be up for renewal at the end of the season.

Dundee United have already confirmed they plan to slash their wage bill in the summer.

Other SPL clubs are expected to do the same as they attempt to cope with dwindling attendances and reduced revenues.

Diamond has never been consistantly good. Therefore, as a centre back, he has never been good enough to be called 'good'. If he wasn't bound to be one of our higher earners then I'd want to give him another chance. But he is. He's done fuck all to deserve the money he gets. He can fuck off.

Aluko I'd love to keep if he looked like he gave a shit.

Mcguire KEEP

Langfield KEEP