Aberdeen v St Johnstone

That pattern won't continue.

I think that the numbers will continue to fall - did most of us not think that we'd beat the wendies ?

Losing this, and looking at the fixtures, (away to Killie), next home game is the Mongol Horde who just put 9 past us a couple of weeks ago - how many will go to that?

Away to Hearts, then home to M'well on the Satr before Christmas.

If we have lost those previous 3 games - which is not that unlikely, I'd say under 5000 for that game

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also sounds like he thinks 0-0 at home v St Johnstone is acceptable. "If McArdle was not sent off it would have been 0-0 due to our poor finishing."

In fairness though when compared against recent record, then you could argue that a 0-0 draw against any fucker is progress :-[

McGhee: What have I done to deserve this?

A flummoxed Mark McGhee questions the need for Rory McArdle’s red card, as the Dons crash to another defeat

21 November 2010 13:15 GMT

Under pressure Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee has spoken critically of referee Willie Collum’s decision to send off Rory McArdle during his side’s 1-0 Clydesdale Bank Premier League defeat to St Johnstone. The Northern Irishman was given his marching orders for a lunge on Cleveland Talyor just after half time, and McGhee’s misery was complete eight minutes from time when Zander Diamond put the ball in his own net.

McGhee said: "I really don't know what we have done to deserve this. The decisions that are going against us are just unbelievable.”

"We can't give anymore than we gave in that game. That's all I ask of the players and that is all the supporters ask of them.

The Dons manager went on to say how much of an impact he felt that the sending off had on the match.

He said: "The sending off has killed us as we have gone down to 10 men and lost a goal in a game that at half-time we felt confident we could go on and win. I had no complaints whatsoever except with the decisions that went against us."

McGhee described the red card shown to McArdle as "debatable", adding: "The sending off was the difference, I thought, between us winning the game and losing it.”

"I thought Maguire gave him a short ball and he had to go for it. He had to protect himself a little bit and I don't think there was any malice in it. The referee said it was two-footed and I haven't seen it again. I don't think we would have lost that goal if we had 11 men on the park as we were a man down on the side that the goal came from. Eventually the 11 men found us out."

St Johnstone manager Derek McIness gave an opinion contrary to this. He said: “We got the breaks today but I did think it was a red card as it was a two-footed challenge.”

McGhee’s men have now only taken four points from the last possible 36, but he believes his players can turn it around.

He added: "They are starting to feel that siege mentality, that things are going against them and the only way we are going to get out of this position is by ourselves. They came close today and I think if we had kept 11 men on the park we probably would have won that game.”

"Today we went about our business the way I asked them. We are disappointed that we didn't take our chances but I was happy with the other aspects of the game."

Aberdeen now find themselves in the unenviable position of being second bottom of the league. A single point separates them from Hamilton at the foot of the table, and if the Dons are to escape the clutches of relegation, then a win away to Kilmarnock next Saturday is a must.

Watching that a couple of times I've changed my mind, think that was fairly harsh. He got the ball and it didn't look like he went in with intent. In saying that I've seen reds given for it a number of times before so maybe I just don't know the rules properly.

:lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove:

Aye  ???

I think that is an incredibly harsh red. Wins the ball first and foremost, and clearly didn't go in with intent. But as has been said, when you lunge in like that, you're likely to get a booking for it.

It was uncontrolled challenge, looked messy as fuck. I can see why the ref gave it after he saw it.

Aye  ???

It was uncontrolled challenge, looked messy as fuck. I can see why the ref gave it after he saw it.

Don't agree with that. I wouldn;t even call that a lunge to be honest. A booking at the most in my opinion.

We still got what we deserved from the game and I don't believe McArdle staying on the park would have resulted in a win.

If that tackle had been made by a StJ player on one of ours would you have wanted, and then on seeing the replay, decided "definite red"?

Answer "yes" and you can have no complaints.

I'd have wanted one of their's sent off if he'd made that tackle on one of our's, so I have no complaint about McArdle's red. Disnae mean I'm happy about it though.

TBH and I really am being honest, no matter how often I look at it, I stil don't think it is that bad.

Reckon two things contributed to straight red, firstly the trailing leg wrapped arounfd the boy did McArdle no favours.

Secondly wasn't there, but have read that the Saints boy let out a massive scream that could be heard right around the ground.

Have seen tackles like that before where all that is given is a free kick.

Putting all of that aside however, really should be beating teams like St J and not complaining about not doing so because of a refereeing decision.

Guess the gods are not with McGhee's Aberdeen

Exactly Al, looked a very harsh red to me but when you're in our position all these decisions seem to go against you.

We are on an horrendous run of results now and something has to change to arrest the slump, for me it's got to be the management team.

Just for clarity Stoney, are you saying we should keep McGhee until the end of the season regardless of what happens between now and then?

At full speed it looks fuckin brutal. Only the slow mo replay show that the contact wasn't that heavy but it was still a scissor tackle which is a straight red offense. He didn't 'get' the ball either. Both his feet went towards the player while his right went over the top of the ball, just knicking the top of it. Contact witht the ball doesn't matter if you're going over the top.

Not a maliscious challenge but clumsy and no complaints it was a red.

But it does provide a handy smokescreen for an abysmal performance.

Don't agree with that. I wouldn;t even call that a lunge to be honest. A booking at the most in my opinion.

We still got what we deserved from the game and I don't believe McArdle staying on the park would have resulted in a win.

Clipboard02-36.jpg

Screen grab of McArdle, both feet off the ground, both feet in front of his body, him with no control of his forward momentum - if thats not a lunge what is it? It is at the ball and he get the ball first, but that is defined as a dangerous tackle nowadays.

Exactly Al, looked a very harsh red to me but when you're in our position all these decisions seem to go against you.

We are on an horrendous run of results now and something has to change to arrest the slump, for me it's got to be the management team.

Just for clarity Stoney, are you saying we should keep McGhee until the end of the season regardless of what happens between now and then?

Have always been of the opinion you either back him or sack him - nothing has changed.

LOL mizer min - give it a rest - every tackle that is made in the history of football would require you to leave the pitch with both feet, looks to me like tackling with left foot and has just left the ground with his right, Was no worse than three tackles made by their players, certainly a booking - but a red do me a favour

LOL mizer min - give it a rest - every tackle that is made in the history of football would require you to leave the pitch with both feet, looks to me like tackling with left foot and has just left the ground with his right, Was no worse than three tackles made by their players, certainly a booking - but a red do me a favour

What favour would that be?