It was 21 years ago today...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=UxY1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=8KULAAAAIBAJ&pg=4324,1595581&dq=gillhaus+effect+warms+dons&hl=en

Thanks to Caddy Carhandle from Mad for the link, but I thought I'd cheer us all up on this Monday afternoon with a look back to this very day 21 years ago.  If you click the link and then take a look at our starting XI and then a wee glance at the league table...

what do you mean you've not cheered up??  :hammer:  :

Gives you goosebumps......  those were the days right enough !

Mind you, it wasn't always sweetness and light. Bett was called lazy and a shirker, Connor (and his mega 'tache) ended up in TRF as Bobby's Blouse and of course we had "Dobbin" at centre half.

And how we all wish that was all we had to complain about nowadays :P

alll i could think off when i looked at that line up was how easily would that team piss on the spl now?  i dont think its any exaggeration to say it would win by 15 points at least.  I just hope that scottish football is nearing the end of its current cycle.  It needs completely rebuilt and the only way to do that is to cut losses and start again from scratch

Gives you goosebumps......  those were the days right enough !

Mind you, it wasn't always sweetness and light. Bett was called lazy and a shirker, Connor (and his mega 'tache) ended up in TRF as Bobby's Blouse and of course we had "Dobbin" at centre half.

TRF?  ???

D'oh    you're right. 

Must be my age.

Did they not have a bit too with Bett playing while smoking a pipe and wearing his slippers?

Aye, that sounds about right. I saw a post from fatshaft on Mad recently saying that the internet has been the best thing for the careers of Irvine and Bett... their careers have been elevated to new heights it seems on the forums. I kind of understand his point especially in Irvine's case. Bett was a cracking player on his game but when he couldn't be arsed... fucking hell it was frustrating and painful viewing.

Not sure if the internet plays a significant role. You tend to forget bad bits over time and keep the good memories and when you take into account someone like Bett just wouldn't be playing for a team like Aberdeen nowadays and Irvine could walk into our current team and make an immense improvement (for evidence look at Kirk Broadfoot playing regularly for a hun team 27 points ahead of us), it's hardly surprising they are remembered fondly.

I see your point Baggy, but I tend to think that just because we're shite now it doesn't make Irvine for example any better a player than he actually was. He'd walk into this team, but who wouldn't? John Inglis would get a game too, as would Ian and Craig Robertson... they were still shite for the time they played and would still be shite now, just slightly better than the other shite around them.

Irvine was what we need now. COMMITTED.

Spoke to hime a couple of times and he was always aware he "wasn't the best player" but would still go out, give 100% every game, and work his arse off to help any of his teammates, young or old. Never hid. Never thought he was guaranteed a start and continually worked on his game. (Are you listening ZD?)

And he did score THAT penalty! ;D

Irvine was what we need now. COMMITTED.

Spoke to hime a couple of times and he was always aware he "wasn't the best player" but would still go out, give 100% every game, and work his arse off to help any of his teammates, young or old. Never hid. Never thought he was guaranteed a start and continually worked on his game. (Are you listening ZD?)

And he did score THAT penalty! ;D

You sure you're not talking about Darren Mackie there?