Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Dons For Change

bloo_toon_red
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Following on from the number of recent threads surrounding the sorry state of Aberdeen FC, I realise most of us have differing opinions on what the club ought to do to rectify the situation.  Many of us want a change of manager, many of us want a change in the make-up of the board of directors, above all - all of us want a competitive team on the pitch.

A new stadium would be nice, clearing off the debt would be nice, but in those instances we are not necessarily worse off than the other teams in the SPL.  We are not competitive in the SPL and the signs are that the players and management team have run out of answers, and that the board have run out of time to come up with fresh ideas.

Now, regardless of how each of us personally feel to be the right way forward, is there a way where we can blur those divisions, and unite behind a common cause - regardless of where the CHANGE comes, can we all agree that there needs to be CHANGE?  If we can agree on this, then this binds us and helps us to take the first step towards making our collective voice heard.  Beyond this point, and I haven't completely thought this through yet, we can move to the next level, whatever we consider that to be, whether they be meetings with the club, protests, whatever.

Can you please vote in this poll if you want to try and effect CHANGE now, or if you would prefer to let things run their course?

As Dave_min says, change! Fuck the debt and the new stadium, we can deal with all of that when/if we're competetive! What good is a new stadium if you've got no use for it. The penny pinching strategy has failed horrifically, so it is now time for a new school of thought. Something which this board are incapable of.

Good luck mate! :thumbsup:

I am all for change but where the hell do you start???  Who is to blame???  The player, the manager, the board, the chairman???

Giving up hope with the club because they cant sort themselves the f*ck out.  No that i would ever stop being a Don, but it drives me round the bend trying to work it all out.  Stephen Hawkin could probably work out the theory of how we all came to be here but even he would struggle to sort out this impossible conundrum!  :hammer:

As Dave_min says, change! Fuck the debt and the new stadium, we can deal with all of that when/if we're competetive! What good is a new stadium if you've got no use for it. The penny pinching strategy has failed horrifically, so it is now time for a new school of thought. Something which this board are incapable of.

Good luck mate! :thumbsup:

New stadium you can deal with when competitve but that debt you cannot. Can win as many champions league trophies as you like but if the bank decide they want their 10million back and you cant pay it then there is no aberdeen football club.

The penny pinching strategy has been going on since the Aitken left. In that time we've had both good and bad seasons. it hasnt failed horrifically nor has it succeded spectacularly.

Are honestly actually suggesting the club do down the way of hearts and start increasing the debt just because we've had 2 shit seasons?

Change yes, financial suicide no

The penny pinching strategy has been going on since the Aitken left. In that time we've had both good and bad seasons. it hasnt failed horrifically nor has it succeded spectacularly.

Are honestly actually suggesting the club do down the way of hearts and start increasing the debt just because we've had 2 shit seasons?

Change yes, financial suicide no

We weren't penny pinching under that cunt A. Miller.

Agree there can't be financial suicide as you put it, but at some point there just has to be even a tiny element of speculate to accumulate.

Tom, you know I didn't mean go down the route of hearts, but as BB says, we need to have a decent balance, at the moment, we do not, and look where it has got us. Arguably, I would say it's been 3 seasons that it's been like this, because JC's final one was pretty dire. You could see things were going wrong, in my opinion, primarily due to the lack of reinvestment into the first team squad.

I don't think the board has done too much wrong. What they have done wrong has had big effects.

JC shouldn't have been given such a long contract extension. But because they did, they should not have sacked him.

They should have held out until his contract expired - right about now if my memory serves me correctly.

After the UEFA last 32 - the players that left the team should have been kept or replaced with similar if not better standard in an attempt to keep us up the table and geared up for another euro run.

They should not have got Mark McGhee in as manager. They should have got a manager in who we didn't need to pay compensation to poach.

The AFC plc's mantra of "we're skint, but we're managing it in the best way possible" is blown out of the water by some of the above. That's why I can't understand AAA's backing of Stewart Milne as Chairman, amongst other things.

How can AAA throw money at other sporting investments like their sponsorship of the Oxford Cambridge boat race? I can't understand why we can't attract investment - unless the board are creating barriers. Something that was alluded to in that Radio Scotland programme the other week.

I'm having steak for tea.

just think where we COULD have been if the close on £1million wasted on getting rid of managers/getting new one in had been spent on the first team squad!

i agree that we cannot afford to commit financial suicide but there was a great chance at continuity, with a small investment, and ultimitely the board blew it. Instead wasting a fuckload of money on a managerial catastrophe and sending us back to the foot of the table.

I don't want AFC to start haemorrhaging money like Hearts but if they are going to spend it they need to start doing it in the correct places!