Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

New Manager Mk III

mizer
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well thats a lie. I've seen Mackie act like a total fanny in upstairs in Liquid, Young was with him. Although Young seemed pretty sober. Mackie certainly wasn't.

How long ago was that though?  I remember reading something a few seasons ago saying he was tee total.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cringeworthy hat in the ring from Hartson in his own sun column

INSTANT respect on the back of a top career in the game.

Over 100 goals in the SPL. European experience.

A battler in life. A character. A reputation. A famous face.

All of the above don't guarantee managerial success.

But if you ask me Aberdeen could be doing with someone with all these attributes.

Someone like ME.

The Dons board know where I am if they want to get on the blower.

Football management is a cut-throat business, but sooner or later I hope to get a chance to show I can handle it.

Who knows who Aberdeen will go for, but there isn't an awful lot wrong with what they have at Pittodrie.

The secret to getting the best from what's available is entirely down to who is in charge.

Players don't play for fans, chairmen or chief execs.

They play for managers and that's why Aberdeen's choice over who they get to replace Mark McGhee is crucial to the future of the club.

For too long now Aberdeen have failed to live up to the expectations their fans have.

With the right man at the helm I genuinely believe that could all change.

McGhee has to take a long hard look at himself in the mirror and ask himself why he didn't cut it.

He's a great guy and someone I respect but did the players lose faith in him and his ability?

That's the crux of the matter and it's probably the reason why the Dons board took the decision to wield the axe.

It's players who keep managers in their job and it's players who get them sacked.

The key is respect. That's what I had for all the top managers I worked under throughout my own career.

Harry Redknapp, Gordon Strachan, Martin O'Neill and Sparky Hughes all oozed a presence and I'd have charged through a brick wall for any of them.

If they asked me to play at right-back I wouldn't have complained because I believed in everything they said to me.

That's the way it's got to be for players and their gaffer.

If you don't have that no one wins. I idolised those guys and when I step into management that's what I'd be looking for.

I'd want my players to have complete faith in what I was saying to them every day.

I'd want a commitment to the cause, one which has simply not been there at Pittodrie.

On the playing side the Dons need to become harder to beat too.

The vitally important thing is to stop losing games and the quick fix for that it to become BORING almost.

Advertisement

Quantcast

I'd have four at the back with two sitting midfielders offering protection.

If that got a couple of 0-0 results then that would be a platform to build on.

It's only then can you start looking to play open and attractive football but first things first, Aberdeen need to stop the rot.

Looking at the squad I don't think there needs to be a massive turnaround in players.

They don't have the money to wipe out one group and replace it with another so begging for wads of cash to spend in the January transfer window would be a waste of everybody's time.

Maybe the board would be able to find the money for a half-decent striker as that would help the team enormously.

For me the vast majority of the guys there should be doing far better than they have been.

I hope whoever becomes boss makes a good job of it because Scottish football needs a strong Aberdeen.

They have been far too weak for far too long.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3259859/Dons-need-a-boss-like-me.html#ixzz179CNPdGm

‘I’d talk to Aberdeen FC’ says John Collins

Scotland hero keen on Pittodrie move

By Sean Wallace

Published: 04/12/2010

SCOTLAND hero John Collins today revealed he is ready to enter the race to manage Aberdeen FC .

Former Hibs boss Collins, 42, a free agent after leaving Belgian club Charleroi, said: “If Aberdeen want to talk to me then I would certainly be open to that.”

‘Craig Brown has had no contact from Aberdeen FC’

Motherwell boss shoots down Pittodrie link

Published: 04/12/2010

MOTHERWELL boss Craig Brown today shot down reports he has been approached by Aberdeen FC.

Former Scotland manager Brown has been linked with the vacant Aberdeen FC job.

But he today insisted Aberdeen FC have made no contact.

From mizers post from The Sun ....

John Hartson... " ... they need someone like me... "

.... "maybe the board would be able to find the money for a half-decent striker as that would help enormously"

:hammer: full back(s) and attacking midfielder would help even more "enormously" John!

I would have found it easier to vote in a who I DON'T want as manager poll.

Obviously Hartson would be one, and off the top of my head.. wouldn't want Hughes, Reid, McPherson, Butcher, Collins or Strachan. Add to that Calderwood, J.

Cringeworthy hat in the ring from Hartson in his own sun column

God help us if this is the level of candidate we're attracting  ::)

Why not go the full hog if we want a "newspaper" columnist as our new manager, and appoint his fellow columnist as his assistant.

Hartson and the Flying Pig. :wanker:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/aberdeen/214141-collins-keen-on-aberdeen-talks/

"I have not heard anything from Aberdeen and there has been absolutely no contact from them," said Brown, the former Scotland boss. "Wiliie Miller [the Dons' Director of Football] knows me and I think if Aberdeen had any interest in me, he would have been in touch by now.

"But I am not even thinking about Aberdeen. All I am focusing on is Motherwell."

Would suggest he's interested.

There are very few managers out there who stand out or inspire any real confidence, and I think it's fair to admit McGhee wasn't an inspirational hire to the majority. It pains me to see club legends like Miller and McGhee tarnish their Pittodrie status, and I prefer we stay away from the ex player and ex manager types as I've never been a fan of players or managers returning to clubs, it rarely seems to work.

The only three that I'd be romotely intrigued about would be Steve Clarke, John Collins, or Craig Brown. Clarke has had to work with egos and getting the most out of personalities, has experience, and surely would fancy a step up to lead a team; Collins bring a tougher, disciplined, fitness freak, European pedigree, and while that may be a hard line coach, maybe Collins is the man to clean house and start afresh. I've always liked Craig Brown as he seems an intelligent man who has the experience and knowledge of Scottih football, and has worked most recently with limited funds.

Still, we'll no doubt hire John Hughes and be back here again in 12-18 months me thinks.....

The only three that I'd be romotely intrigued about would be Steve Clarke, John Collins, or Craig Brown. Clarke has had to work with egos and getting the most out of personalities, has experience, and surely would fancy a step up to lead a team; Collins bring a tougher, disciplined, fitness freak, European pedigree, and while that may be a hard line coach, maybe Collins is the man to clean house and start afresh. I've always liked Craig Brown as he seems an intelligent man who has the experience and knowledge of Scottih football, and has worked most recently with limited funds.

All good points there OD but I think because of the contract situation that it would be nigh on impossible for Collins to clean house and start afresh, unfortunately.

I never ever thought I'd see the day I said this but because the rest are so poor I wouldn't be overly disappointed if Brown was appointed.  I feel dirty after saying that right enough...

Although if we are looking for an Ally McLeod personality type, was going to suggest McCoist but since he's most likely taking over at Ibrox this summer, how about Mo Johnston???? He's available, has coaching experience, knows Scottish football, and would certainly create some attention! Ok, maybe not....

There are very few managers out there who stand out or inspire any real confidence, and I think it's fair to admit McGhee wasn't an inspirational hire to the majority. It pains me to see club legends like Miller and McGhee tarnish their Pittodrie status, and I prefer we stay away from the ex player and ex manager types as I've never been a fan of players or managers returning to clubs, it rarely seems to work.

Still, we'll no doubt hire John Hughes and be back here again in 12-18 months me thinks.....

Oh fuck please no no no no no  >:D

Thing with Collins is we have a fair few Timothy's in our squad who would be of an age to have looked up to him as a player.

Could work to our advantage, although equally we could have a Beckham & Hoddle situation.

Pat Fenlon is a new name to the list that has to be worth more than a slight consideration. 5 LoI titles as manager in the last 7 years & 3 cups. The first LoI manager to take his team to the third qualifying round for the UEFA cup only knocked out by Deportivo.

Thing with Collins is we have a fair few Timothy's in our squad who would be of an age to have looked up to him as a player.

Could work to our advantage, although equally we could have a Beckham & Hoddle situation.

Pat Fenlon is a new name to the list that has to be worth more than a slight consideration. 5 LoI titles as manager in the last 7 years & 3 cups. The first LoI manager to take his team to the third qualifying round for the UEFA cup only knocked out by Deportivo.

Fenlon is a good shout. Michael ONeil also doing well in LOI.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/John-Collins-not-interested-in.6650985.jp

John Collins not interested in Aberdeen vacancy

Published Date: 06 December 2010

By Angus Wright

ABERDEEN will continue their search for a new manager this week, but former Hibs boss John Collins appears to have ruled himself out of the running after saying the Dons were "not the right club for me right now".

Collins, currently out of work, had been quoted by bookmakers as a possible replacement for Mark McGhee, who was sacked last week following a miserable run of 11 defeats in 13 league games. But he said: "I don't believe Aberdeen is the right club for me right now.

"Obviously it is a huge club with a great reputation and it's true I am looking to get back into management. But it would be wrong to say I am in the frame for the Aberdeen job. It's not the direction I see my career going in at this time."

So he's been told he's not a contender then.