Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

New Manager Mk III

mizer
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the team talk on the pitch incident has overshadowed a lot of the good work Brown had done wth Hull up to that point.

He isn't my first choice - that would be Stevie Clark with Duncan Shearer as assistant - but I'd much prefer him to Shughes, John McGlynn or Jocky Scott, who I reckon is only being suggested because people like his character in the real Leigh Griffiths blog thing  ???

Aye, that's the only reason he's being suggested...  ::)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jocky_Scott

Fair enough it's Wikipedia but I'd imagine the stats will be close enough. Other than his successful time as co-manager with Smith he's done absolutely nothing of any significance in his other jobs, all of which have been with fairly shite clubs.

Fair enough if people want to go down the experienced route but I'd suggest any such manager would need to actually be a good manager as well as being old for that to work.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to why people think he'd be a good option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jocky_Scott

Fair enough it's Wikipedia but I'd imagine the stats will be close enough. Other than his successful time as co-manager with Smith he's done absolutely nothing of any significance in his other jobs, all of which have been with fairly shite clubs.

Fair enough if people want to go down the experienced route but I'd suggest any such manager would need to actually be a good manager as well as being old for that to work.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to why people think he'd be a good option.

He doesn't have the best record but it's far from the worst (a couple of those positions were caretaker roles) in comparison to some who are being offered up.

Why I think he would be a good option:

Being at the club would not overawe him. He can handle it and can handle the pressure.

He is a fantastic coach (both Willie Miller and Charlie Nicholas said he was the best they'd worked under)

Going on word of mouth, he will instill discipline, he will not take any shite from the absolute fuck nuggets in our squad

Our squad will be fitter than they've been for years. When he was at the club in the 80's early 90s we didn't have fitness coaches etc, but our side were clearly one of the fittest if not the fittest in the league.

I really don't think he'd have a second thought in binning the guys who need to be binned - Diamond and Langfield in particular from what I've heard. The whole attitude at Pittodrie has to change and I think he's the man to do it.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/sport/HULL-CITY-make-Dons-rival-Old-Firm-duo-says-Brown/article-2980453-detail/article.html

FORMER Hull City boss Phil Brown believes he could transform Aberdeen's fortunes – and help them challenge SPL giants Rangers and Celtic.

Brown has been linked with the top job at the relegation-threatened Pittodrie club following the sacking of Mark McGhee last week.

And having being out of management since he was relived of his duties at the Tigers in March, Brown is itching to get back.

He said: "The Aberdeen job is certainly one I am interested in and it is a great opportunity for someone to take charge at a great club.

"It is a club which needs to get back to the halcyon days of European qualification and challenging the top two.

"This is a great opportunity for an up-and-coming manager like myself."

Currently coaching youngsters in Singapore, Brown admits there have been no discussions between himself and the Scottish club yet.

But he says he will make contact on his return to the UK and, should he be granted an interview, feels he will have plenty to shout about after taking the Tigers to the Premier League.

"My own management history is quite short, but my time at Hull City was full of great memories and triumphs," he said. "That's the kind of level of ambition and belief Aberdeen need from their next manager.

"In my mind they need an ambitious manager with foresight to get the club firstly on an even keel, and then move forward.

"I regard myself as a coach firstly, and all management is about working with players and inspiring them to get the best out of them.

"I wouldn't see the SPL as a step down from having managed in the Premier League. It is a great challenge for someone to take on a historic club at the highest level of football in Scotland."

Talk of Brown being the next Aberdeen boss has led to speculation about linking up again with former Dons and Tigers hero Dean Windass.

But he says it is too early to consider a possible assistant before registering his interest in the role.

"Dean always spoke very affectionately about his time at Aberdeen and he holds the club in high regard," he said. "I have already said I would like to work with Brian Horton again, but to discuss that would be jumping the gun by some way."

"According to the eminent jounro Charlie Allan, job now looks to be a straight fight between Billy Stark and John Hughes."

Hope that as much bollocks as the St Mirren fans on Pie and Bovril claiming McPherson is getting interview today.

Jesus wept.

Can they not at least speak to Phil Brown?  Got to be a better option than those two.

Definitely.

Phil Brown would be taking a huge gamble with his career taking the Aberdeen job. Let's be honest it is only a matter of time before he walks into another Championship job where there will be more talented players than at Pittodrie, more money to spend than at Pittodrie, a more ambitious board than at Pittodrie and more positive press to be gained than at Pittodrie.

So he either knows all about the club and out situation and has the personal belief that he can make a real difference.

or

He has no clue whatsoever and as soon as he finds out what sort of mess we are in as a club will distance himself very quickly.

I'd say he's a bigger gamble for us than us for him. Not sure why it's only a matter of time he gets a Championship job as the clubs were hardly queuing up for him since he got the dunt at Hull.  If he takes it then he's not doing it as a favour for us and if he takes it without doing his homework then he's off his head, but not as off his head as the AFC board who do their homework and still decide to offer him the position.

Just because he's managed at the level he has does not mean he was any good at that level. He's made some horrendous decisions in his short managerial career, most of which showed an astounding lack of understanding of the situation; whether that was the half time team talk on the pitch (as a former player, how did he even think that was a good idea?), the "Wenger didn't shake my hand" when he actually did, he fell out with players at a drop of a hat supposedly (according to George Boateng), the whole "I saved a suicidal woman" lie...

Take a look at him when he was an assistant manager, and take a look at him now. He's full of himself and more pertinently, he is a bit of a shit manager. I'm not interested in him using AFC as a vehicle for self promotion.