Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Dirthy Filthy Hun Scumbag Vermin (deceased), liquidated & Green abondons ship

mizer

Steven Pressley has accused the chief executives of the Scottish Premier League and Scottish Football Association of a lack of leadership.

The Falkirk manager believes Neil Doncaster and Stewart Regan should have grasped the opportunity of the Rangers crisis to reform the Scottish game.

"There's a great opportunity here for change that can move this country forward for years to come," he said.

"There's been no vision from those at the top and it really disappoints me."

Scottish Premier League clubs this week voted against admitting a new Rangers, created after the old club faced liquidation, into the top flight.

It means that Dundee, who finished second top of Division One, are likely to be promoted, although relegated Dunfermline Athletic are challenging that scenario.

Rangers will have to be either admitted to the First Division or apply for a place in Division Three.

But Pressley thinks the opportunity should have been taken to increase the size of the top flight.

"I think that, over the past few months, when the whole situation has become very apparent, I think there's been a severe lack of leadership in this country," said the former Rangers and Scotland defender.

"And I think that, rather than solely finding the solution to the Rangers problem, they should have been used as an ideal catalyst for change within this country.

"I would have hoped that, throughout this whole period, Neil Doncaster has been going through various scenarios, working out various formats, league formats for all types of scenarios.

"If he hasn't got that then, for me, he hasn't done his job.

Pressley thinks Scottish football has been ripe for re-organisation

"He should have been giving us numerous options, numerous solutions to this problem and, as yet, I've not seen any evidence of that and that truly disappoints me."

Regan has spoken of dire financial consequences, with other clubs facing administration, should Rangers not be admitted to Division One with a subsequent threat to the SPL's television deal.

"It disappoints me, the recent press releases from Stewart Regan," said Pressley.

"He's painting a doomsday scenario. It may not be a doomsday scenario.

"This might be the real opportunity for Scottish football to flourish for years to come."

Pressley has long argued that an expanded SPL would create greater interest for supporters bored of teams playing each other four times and allow clubs more "breathing space" to develop young players.

He argues that those clubs who have most recently been able to break the domination of Celtic and Rangers - Aberdeen, Dundee United and Hearts - had built their success on youth development.

"We've got ourselves in a situation where were are solely reliant on TV money and we keep chasing that TV money and we ignore our own supporters," added Pressley.

"If clubs worked hard to get their supporters through the gates, I don't think there would be a need for great TV revenue in this country.

"I look at our own club and, two-and-a-half years ago, or two years ago, we suffered relegation.

"We faced some real financial challenges. We've cut the wage budget here by 70%, we've promoted our young players, we've sold young players, our academy's vibrant at this moment and our club financially has never been healthier."

It is embarrassing to know Reagan and co are only the latest of a long line of fuckwits in charge of the game who have no creativity or vision.

:lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove:

I rememeber that game like it was yesterday. I was behind the goal giving Elvis shit  ;D.

Look at him at the first goal in the replay from behind the goals.  His own commentary for both goals was probably along the lines of:

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annan chairmen Henry McClelland said yesterday

"Annan,s view on this matter has not changed,we think they should be demoted down to division 3."

He added

"i know there are loads of suggestions being put forward and the chief executives of the SPL and the SFA are making lots of moves and noises to create an SPL 2 or get them into division one.But i think they are under-estimating the strength of feeling of the SFL clubs and believe there can be no other way than Rangers going into division 3."

"There will be a lot of pressure brought to bear during the next week by the central belt media and the SPL for the SFA are at it.They will be applying pressure to get them into division 1 but i dont think the SFL clubs will wear it and i think the majority will vote for them to start at the bottom"

Finances must be tight at Ibrox sue to the lack of season ticket sales.

CHARLES GREEN is set to keep his promise to Rangers fans – by giving them the chance to own half the club.

Many supporters questioned Green’s reasons for buying the stricken club for £5.5million and some have backed consortiums fronted by Walter Smith and John Brown. But a stockbroker is now due to arrive from London next week to help the club launch a share issue.

And an Ibrox source said: “We’re going to announce shares will be offered for sale to supporters and this proves what we said at the start.

“We’re bringing a stockbroker up from London. People can come to the ground and register if they want a share.

“They will be given the opportunity to buy shares for the same price as everyone else and if they buy all that are available to them, they will own 50 per cent of the club.

“Contrary to what some claim, we’re going to do a lot of things we said we’d do and more besides. Things that are not yet public.”

A senior Football League source has just leaked this to me. Note second section which appears to be a clear attempt to by-pass any vote and shoehorn Rangers Newco into Div 1. Incredible.

You have been warned:

Subject: SFL Special General Meeting – Friday, 13th July, 2012

Dear Sir or Madam,

NOTICE OF SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING – SCOTTISH FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Notice is hereby given that a Special General Meeting of The Scottish Football League will be held within the Bell/Baird Suite on the fifth floor of Hampden Park, Glasgow on Friday, 13th July, 2012 at 11.00 a.m. for the purpose of considering and, if thought fit, approving the following proposals:-

(i) That the Scottish Football League Members agree to admit Sevco Scotland Limited as an Associate Member and agrees to permit Rangers F.C. to play in the League during Season 2012/13.

(ii) That the Scottish Football League Members direct the Board of Management of The Scottish Football League (the “Board”) to provide that Rangers F.C. shall play in the Third Division of the Scottish Football League during Season 2012/13 unless the Board shall have to its satisfaction negotiated and reached agreement with The Scottish Premier League and The Scottish Football Association on a series of measures which the Board shall consider to be in the best interests of the game, how it is structured, how it is governed and how it is financed, whereupon the Board shall be authorised to provide that Rangers F.C. shall play in the First Division of the Scottish Football League during Season 2012/13.

(iii) That the Scottish Football League Members in terms of Rule 12 approve the resignation of either Dundee F.C. or Dunfermline Athletic F.C., whichever shall be admitted to join the Scottish Premier League for Season 2012/13, such resignation to take effect as at the date of admission of such club to the Scottish Premier League, notwithstanding that the requisite notice under Rule 12 shall not have been given.Details of the series of measures referred to at (ii) above shall be made available to the Members in advance of the meeting and an opportunity for full discussion of those measures will be given prior to the proposals being put to the meeting.

In accordance with the terms of SFL Rule 53, your club must send one representative to this meeting and I would be most grateful if you could advise me of the name of your representative by return.

A buffet lunch will be served at the conclusion of the meeting.

Kind regards,

David A. Longmuir

Chief Executive, SFL.

notice the introduction of rangers to div 1 requires agreements being reached with spl clubs.

To my mind that would strongly suggest that the outcome of the meeting on 13th will be some sort of hastily arranged spl2, designed to accommodate newco, but presented as being the structural change that fans have called for.

If this comes to pass then I'm out. I'd be inclined to give money to AFC if satisfied that they have voted against such a move, but I'd have no more interest in watching Scottish football. Really it'd cease to be a sport by even the most simple definition, and would become (confirmed as) a stage-managed procession.

SFL clubs have been given 2 choices. Rangers in the SFL with the Board choosing which league (Div 1) or Rangers not in the SFL at all.

Would not surprise me at all for them to not be in it at all.

SPL 2 would follow swiftly if they are voted out of SFL.

Eh?

Vote two says let Seveco in and thereafter do what ever the SFL board wish (are told to by the SPL and SFA)

No wonder some SFL chairmen have come out angrily about this.

I can't imagine many, if any, want to exclude Seveco altogether but they are being forced to accept any old shit and Seveco on the league or no Seveco.  In which case they presumably waste another week or two having Seveco and others apply for the spare 3rd Division place?  Or is it as cynical as the SPL2 idea, although that surely can't be organised for this season, so we have Seveco sitting out football for a year?

Farcical.