Dirthy Filthy Hun Scumbag Vermin (deceased), liquidated & Green abondons ship

mizer

• 2 weeks later...

No unanimous verdict reached in FTT against oldco?

But I'm seeing tweets saying EBT scheme deemed wholly illegal and "the payments are loans, not earnings, and so are recoverable from the employee or his estate."  i.e. to be recovered from the players and not the club.

I would imagine that is setting a dangerous precedent. Didn't Arsenal settle out of court on something similar? Presumably they'd now have a case for HMRC repaying that settlement and telling them to go after the players.

Either way, can't post more as I'm away to start paying all my employees in the form of loans.

Wish i could get a loan that i never have to pay back, joke decision

My understanding of the verdict is that the loans will have to be paid back, ie. you'd have to give back what you earned while employed by Rangers.

The verdict doesn't change Rangers cheating by offering dual contracts though, so could still have titles stripped etc.

Also, with no big tax case to pay out, it's very possible that Rangers could have avoided liquidation in the first place.

I'm not sure if I have read this correctly but I think the HMRC are saying that they can get the money back, from those that received the "loans"  ???

If they are loans then there is no tax to pay on it, but how can those receiving the loans pay back the money to a company that no longer exists?

edit and if there is no big tax case to answer then surely hmrc are no longer the biggest creditor

I'm not sure I can quite believe just how much corruption you can get away with if the scale is big enough.

Also find this particularly ominous: "We therefore formally request that the relevant authorities investigate how these sensitive details have been released so widely. We have instructed our lawyers to retrospectively review online and printed publications relating to the case to identify whether legal redress is either appropriate or necessary."

If they are loans then there is no tax to pay on it, but how can those receiving the loans pay back the money to a company that no longer exists?

edit and if there is no big tax case to answer then surely hmrc are no longer the biggest creditor

Even as a director you only have a certain time you can take a loan for before tax becomes due i.e. it's no longer considered a loan by HMRC.

RTC blog:

The tax case result released yesterday afternoon was obviously a surprise.  After reading the findings, it is still difficult to understand how  two of the three judges arrived at such a decision. The third dissenting judge’s opinion was clearly more in line with expectations. However, in the First Tier Tribunal it is a case of majority rule.

If an appeal is launched, it will take several more months before we get the next level of decision. Appeals are not automatically granted, but in this case- with a dissenting judge and where a dispute over legal interpretation exists already- it seems certain. At the Upper Tribunal, new evidence is not introduced and the case is not re-argued. The judges at the Upper Tribunal will hear legal arguments over whether the First Tier Tribunal judges made an error in interpreting the law and will rule accordingly.

This blog brought light to a matter of public interest.  This blog has been accurate on all of the major points of the case except the one that matters most to date- the FTT outcome.

We thank everyone who has participated. Hopefully, we will see the result reversed on appeal.

Have these guys lost some credibility over the last 24 hours?  They certainly had me convinced that the FTT could only go one way - why did they get it so wrong?

Still Nae really getting the gist of this are they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20462546

Rangers: McCoist calls for SPL to drop investigation

Manager Ally McCoist is calling for the Scottish Premier League to scrap an investigation into alleged undisclosed payments to players at Rangers.

An independent SPL hearing looking into Rangers' use of an Employee Benefit Trust (EBT) scheme is due to start in the new year.

"I would be extremely hopeful that common sense would prevail and the SPL could now drop it," said McCoist."It's not over yet but I hope that sad chapter will now begin to close."

http://local.stv.tv/aberdeen/news/202362-police-force-cancellation-of-egins-sfl-match-with-rangers/

Elgin City's scheduled SFL match against Rangers on Sunday has been postponed on safety grounds at the request of Moray Council and Grampian Police.

It emerged on Friday that the Moray club had sold too many tickets for the Third Division match at its ground, which has a capacity of 4500.

Police decided to intervene amid fears that too many fans would turn up for the noon kick-off. The news is a blow to Elgin as the match was due to be shown live on ESPN.

Moray Council said more than 1000 extra tickets had been sold for the match, creating a "major concern" about safety.

A spokesman for the council said: "We are extremely disappointed to have to ask the club to cancel the game. It is certainly not a decision anyone involved has taken lightly.

"We know how thousands of fans have been looking forward to the match, but there is a real risk to their safety here. The ground can only take 4500, so another 1000-plus disappointed fans with nowhere to go is a major concern."

Short notice

Ross Jack, the team's manager, said it was "unbelievable" news.

He said: "I am of course bitterly disappointed to learn of the game being postponed. Our players have worked exceptionally hard and everyone was very much looking forward to welcoming Rangers to Borough Briggs."

A statement issued by Rangers read: "Due to circumstances completely outwith Rangers Football Club's control, the match against Elgin City at Borough Briggs on Sunday, November 25 has been called off on safety grounds."

Rangers boss Ally McCoist said: "We are disappointed the match has been called off at such short notice and I know Elgin are as well.

"This was due to circumstances outwith our control but we were informed a short time ago that there was no way the match could go ahead on safety grounds.

“I am sure this is a huge disappointment to our supporters who have purchased match tickets and arranged travel in good faith.

"Elgin City have apologised to the club and we accept their apology but I feel for our fans."

SFL investigation

The Scottish Football League said it would launch an investigation into the matter, which only came to light on Friday afternoon.

In a statement, the club apologised for the "disappointing outcome" and said fans who had bought tickets for the game should hold on to them for the time being.

A spokesman said: "Following today’s pre-ops meeting for the above match, it has come to light that there has been a substantial over-sale of tickets for this fixture and Elgin City Football Club could not confirm the exact number of tickets which have been sold for this match.

"Therefore, on the grounds of public safety and in close consultation with all parties, this match has now been postponed. Further information regarding tickets which have been sold will be provided as quickly as possible.

"Elgin City F.C. would like to apologise sincerely for this disappointing outcome. The SFL will conduct a full investigation into the circumstances.

"The club would ask for all fans to retain their tickets for Sunday’s postponed match and further information will be made available as soon as possible."

:lolabove: