Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Aye or No (New manager Mk IV)

mizer
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dons won’t rule out a short-term appointment

brown-knox model at motherwell inspires board in manager hunt

By Michael Gannon

Published: 07/12/2010

Aberdeen will today step up their search for a new manager and, given the Dons’ precarious league position, a wide range of options is being considered – including a short-term appointment until the end of the season.

Chairman Stewart Milne, director of football Willie Miller and chief executive Duncan Fraser are working through the candidates with a view to beginning the interviewing process in the next few days.

The club is refusing to speak about individuals but the focus is on getting an experienced manager to make an immediate impression on the squad as well as a lasting one.

Billy Stark, John Hughes, Gus MacPherson, Phil Brown and Jocky Scott are in the frame, along with several others, but rookie managers will not be considered.

The impact made by Craig Brown and Archie Knox at Motherwell has not gone unnoticed. The veterans stabilised the Fir Park club following a turbulent start to the campaign under Jim Gannon and extended their stay beyond the end of the season.

The desire for a safety would seem to rule out younger interested parties – such as former Celtic attacker John Hartson and former Dons forwards Eoin Jess and Billy Dodds.

There has been no approach made to Shamrock Rovers for Michael O’Neill, who led the side to the League of Ireland title this year, but Bohemians manager Pat Fenlon has entered the race.

The Dons are off the foot of the table only on goal difference and avoiding an unprecedented relegation is the first priority.

Willie Miller said: “Many of the candidates are managers who have done well at some clubs but not so well at others.

“We are taking our time because we have to be sure the person we pick can make an immediate impact because of where we are in the league.

“We also hope that person can bring success in the long term.”

Dons coaches Neil Simpson and Neil Cooper are taking the team in the meantime but they might not have a fixture to prepare for this weekend.

The scheduled match against Hearts is in major doubt after the severe weather caused significant damage to Tynecastle.

Pipes and guttering came down due to snow and ice, leaving the Edinburgh stadium requiring repair work in a bid to allow the game to go ahead.

The Jambos are confident the stadium problems will not be a factor, but the encounter remains in doubt due to the abysmal weather conditions which have led to travel chaos in the central belt.

A Tynecastle spokesman said: “Some damage has been caused after the snow and ice came off the roof of the main stand.

“We are working hard to resolve the issues and we are confident they will not prevent the game against Aberdeen from going ahead.

“We are liaising with the relevant authorities and have kept Aberdeen informed of the situation.

“We remain hopeful of staging the match with Aberdeen on Saturday.”

Aberdeen’s Scottish Youth Cup quarter-final against St Mirren at Pittodrie was postponed yesterday due to the severe weather and another attempt to play the tie will be made tomorrow.

Any other suggestion Stoney/anyone?

I think I will add Cooper and Simpson

Dude - I have no f'n clue who we can afford or what the peramiters for search are.

Are we going for experiance - or new blood, proven track record - or potential to do well, Limited budget or Financial backing. UK or Foreign.

As has been alluded to in other threads, I sincerely hope that the board are aiming higher than merely the names on this list.  Billy Stark is not the man for the job at this moment in time, he doesn't have enough personality, and I cannot understand at all the clamour for John McGlynn, who for me would be a wholly uninspiring appointment.  Neither of them would last two minutes with our support.  We need someone whose profile and stock is higher than the names on this list, with the possible exception of Craig Brown, or perhaps Phil Brown.  It is a big job - it's not solely about short-term survival, it's about weeding out Mark's Dross and getting back to our rightful place in football.  I don't have confidence in any of the names on this list other than those mentioned.  For track record and profile alone, Jimmy Calderwood and Stuart Baxter have to be considered as better options than 90% of those on the list.

I cant believe that only 30% of people think Stark would be a decent choice

What has he done to be named as a decent choice?

A penalties victory against us is his biggest achievement as a manager. He then took a highly talented group of young players, who he didn't need to buy or coach day to day and who needed little motivation and almost managed to qualify.

He's down there with Hughes and MacPherson.

eh?

"Craig Brown - 24 (12.8%)"

In my own view appointing Brown is only acceptable if we think both, that all we are aiming for in over half a season is to avoid relegation AND that the players we currently have are good enough for that - therefore only needing better coaching to achieve that target.

I don't believe either of those things.

I don't believe we should be so fatalist as to think that a longer term manager couldn't do at least as much as craigy broon in jan to fill the gaps in our squad that mean a run of results has us pushing up the table and actively strengthening in terms of pre-cons to build for next season. This is an over all failure I think sealed McGhee's fate. He was scrabbling about for players in the summer as if he was brand new to the job. He should've done more contract dealing before the season ended.

Finding players to fill the positions we so obviously need is our priority. Not doing this will mean we go down no matter who is in charge.

An 'until the end of the season' manager has no mandate to buy players in jan or sign on pre-con and would only attract players also until the end of the season. Leaving us up shit creek next season with A.N Other coach in charge who has no time to build a squad.

A manager of this sort would also virtually guarantee we cannot extend the contracts of those who are on a free in the summer. Other than Diamond I think we should be keeping these players. So Mr A.N Other would have an even more impossible job to do than otherwise.