Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Phil Brown: ‘I can get Aberdeen FC on song again’

Kowalski

‘I can get Aberdeen FC on song again’

Working class hero Phil Brown keen on job

By Ross McTavish

Published: 07/12/2010

PHIL Brown today claimed he wants to turn around Aberdeen FC’s flagging fortunes – then take on the Old Firm.

The former Hull City boss told the Evening Express he would love to speak to the Aberdeen FC board about the managerial vacancy at Pittodrie.

Brown insisted he knows all about the club’s current plight, as the team languish second bottom of the SPL.

But the 51-year-old admitted he would not just be happy ensuring Aberdeen FC avoid relegation.

Brown would want to install a long-term plan, to get Aberdeen back regularly challenging the Old Firm for honours.

Got to agree with Stoney.

He comes across okay in the EE article, but it's not a wide ranging interview.  Offering to bring a "level of commitment to a long-term campaign".

If we're not speaking to the likes of Steve Clarke or Craig Brown then Phil Brown seems a much better shout than the likes of Stark, McPherson and Hughes.

When when he was at hull in the premiership, I thought he looked a good manager, who the team seemed to take to and were playing good football. couldn't have dreamed he would even consider moving to Aberdeen. Now i know Stark is the best man for the job, 100%. But Brown excites me as a manager. He is a maverick and Aberdeen need stability. Heart says Brown, head says Stark.  Have noticed Phil has fallen out with a few players in his past.

When when he was at hull in the premiership, I thought he looked a good manager, who the team seemed to take to and were playing good football. couldn't have dreamed he would even consider moving to Aberdeen. Now i know Stark is the best man for the job, 100%. But Brown excites me as a manager. He is a maverick and Aberdeen need stability. Heart says Brown, head says Stark.  Have noticed Phil has fallen out with a few players in his past.

This, especially, is an issue. He seems needlessly confrontational, I remeber reading about some really crass decisions leading to the alienation of players, including just dropping players and pretending they didn't exist. One story which sticks in my mind is him sacking the entire canteen staff, perhaps not esecially relevant, but if true its an indication of what he's like.

Aside from that, he comes across as a grade A tosser. No thanks.

Now i know Stark is the best man for the job, 100%.

Seriously?

This, especially, is an issue. He seems needlessly confrontational, I remeber reading about some really crass decisions leading to the alienation of players, including just dropping players and pretending they didn't exist. One story which sticks in my mind is him sacking the entire canteen staff, perhaps not esecially relevant, but if true its an indication of what he's like.

Aside from that, he comes across as a grade A tosser. No thanks.

there was also the rather bizarre claim that he talked a suicidal woman down off the Humber Bridge while taking his team out for an evening stroll. The strange thing being that none of his team remember this happening at all.

I'm pretty sure McGhee was trumping about stability, long term planning and challenging the OF before he got started in his unravelling. It's all just platitudes until you get some results on the board. This guy seems to me to be a carbon copy of McGhee with the exception that he actually managed to get a team up from the championship.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. He done fantastically well to take Hull from absolutely nowhere to the Premiership then keep them up and he did so on a tight budget. It was only when he started throwing money around that the shit hit the fan and he went a bit mental.

Whoever we get is going to have some sort of flaw, I'd rather the manager we get has a flaw like having a screw loose rather than being terrible at managing a football team like Stark's track record suggests, at least we'll get some entertainment out of it if it fails.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. He done fantastically well to take Hull from absolutely nowhere to the Premiership then keep them up and he did so on a tight budget. It was only when he started throwing money around that the shit hit the fan and he went a bit mental.

Whoever we get is going to have some sort of flaw, I'd rather the manager we get has a flaw like having a screw loose rather than being terrible at managing a football team like Stark's track record suggests, at least we'll get some entertainment out of it if it fails.

Agreed. He's also as high a level as we could probably get.

Agreed. He's also as high a level as we could probably get.

Is he though? I don't get why people are saying this, just because he managed in the Premiership? It may mean he has higher expectations in terms of salary and resources, it certainly doesn't mean he's the best manager (the last year of his time at Hull certainly suggests he should be one of the last considered).

Is he though? I don't get why people are saying this, just because he managed in the Premiership? It may mean he has higher expectations in terms of salary and resources, it certainly doesn't mean he's the best manager (the last year of his time at Hull certainly suggests he should be one of the last considered).

In terms of profile, yes.

Listening to his interview on Stv news. came across quite well. mind you so would most unemployed managers looking to get a job. Really don't think he understands the job needed at Aberdeen. It came across, well to me, like it was a bit of a  quick fix. We need long term stability. He also said he was looking to join an ambitious club. How does no transfer money and your wage budget controlled by having to let young players go out on loan suit ya Phil?  One truthful interview from Milne will get him running to England as quick as his wee legs can take him.

In terms of profile, yes.

I don't think the next man has to be high profile. He just has to be the right man.  I really don't think Phil Brown is the right man. The sight of him singing on the pitch after his team had lost to Man Utd reserves on the last day of the season was confirmation of how much he thinks it's about himself and not the club he's at.

I don't think the next man has to be high profile. He just has to be the right man.  I really don't think Phil Brown is the right man. The sight of him singing on the pitch after his team had lost to Man Utd reserves on the last day of the season was confirmation of how much he thinks it's about himself and not the club he's at.

Spot on.

My first choice at the moment is Scott, I think.