Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Hearts v Aberdeen

Kowalski

Aberdeen FC’s game at Tynecastle in doubt

Pipes and guttering dislodged at stadium

By Sean Wallace

Published: 07/12/2010

ABERDEEN FC’s SPL clash with Hearts on Saturday is in doubt due to weather damage at Tynecastle.

Pipes and guttering have been dislodged from the stadium due to snow and ice.

The Edinburgh stadium will require repair work before the game against Aberdeen FC can go ahead.

Hearts are confident the stadium damage will be fixed in time for the weekend clash.

The heavy snow that has gripped the Central Belt could also put the game in doubt.

Meanwhile, Aberdeen FC youth coaches Neil Simpson and Neil Cooper are taking the squad until a replacement for recently-axed manager Mark McGhee is found.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have said in the other thread, the police are going to have to make a call on the side roads and pavements as Edinburgh City Council have been negligent. At the moment there are 4-5 inches of packed iced on the pavements on my street just up the road from Gorgie.

As I have said in the other thread, the police are going to have to make a call on the side roads and pavements as Edinburgh City Council have been negligent. At the moment there are 4-5 inches of packed iced on the pavements on my street just up the road from Gorgie.

So then what are you doing sitting there? Get your arse oot there with a shovel and get started. Gies a shout when you're done.  :thumbsup:

Exactly - in the olden days the public mucked in and did their bit. Lazy bastards these days. Mizer is just highlighting the fact that people have become molly coddled and live in the myth that the 'state' can and will fix everything. If everybody did the bit ootside their flat or hoose - there would be no problem. People would rather just blame the council.

It's all these lazy Weegie fakers down the road that just don't know about real snow. It's still slightly worse up here, yet nobody seems bothered at all by it...

Exactly - in the olden days the public mucked in and did their bit. Lazy bastards these days. Mizer is just highlighting the fact that people have become molly coddled and live in the myth that the 'state' can and will fix everything. If everybody did the bit ootside their flat or hoose - there would be no problem. People would rather just blame the council.

I was oot last night clearing the steps at the back, the path to the front street and outside my flat - but yes too many people not doing the same.

It's all these lazy Weegie fakers down the road that just don't know about real snow. It's still slightly worse up here, yet nobody seems bothered at all by it...

I bet you its far worse here in Edinburgh than up with you in Aberdeen.

I was oot last night clearing the steps at the back, the path to the front street and outside my flat - but yes too many people not doing the same.

I bet you its far worse here in Edinburgh than up with you in Aberdeen.

Thats great you can nip round and clear mine tonight then.

Temperature sitting at -6c outside the office and it was down to -16c during the night. Resulting in compacted frozen ice as I feared, at least the main roads seem a bit clearer but side and residential roads still not seen grit since the snow started last Sunday.

Temperature sitting at -6c outside the office and it was down to -16c during the night. Resulting in compacted frozen ice as I feared, at least the main roads seem a bit clearer but side and residential roads still not seen grit since the snow started last Sunday.

Edinburgh are getting the army in to sort out the paths supposedly.

Edinburgh are getting the army in to sort out the paths supposedly.

It would have helped if the council workers had done the same. Bin lorries not been out due to the weather - so where are their workers? Sitting in a shed drinking tea I would bet. One of the depots is off Russell Road (where the away coaches park) but the paths have not been cleared once.

Guest leith_red

It would have helped if the council workers had done the same. Bin lorries not been out due to the weather - so where are their workers? Sitting in a shed drinking tea I would bet. One of the depots is off Russell Road (where the away coaches park) but the paths have not been cleared once.

Most of the bin empying is done by private companies now, so they're not council workers.  And those that are council employees, if they're not out, I'd guess they won't be getting paid.

Council's have to priorities paths and routes - they can't all be done.  And it's not just council workers that have been clearing the paths - folk on community service have been out doing it too.

This is what its like just South East of Gorgie.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=611&filename=wrq.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Like many roads not been gritted once. Ice I was standing on was 4-5 inches thick but not too slidy at the moment, but getting worse as it melts and re-freezes. Gorgie Road is apparently fine and the pavements too, but the side streets down the back of Tynecastle are not too different from this. I am still a bit worried the police will get all health and safety.

Like many roads not been gritted once. Ice I was standing on was 4-5 inches thick but not too slidy at the moment, but getting worse as it melts and re-freezes. Gorgie Road is apparently fine and the pavements too, but the side streets down the back of Tynecastle are not too different from this. I am still a bit worried the police will get all health and safety.

Lets be honest here, if Edinburgh City Council prioritised clearing the streets around a stadium that isn't going to be used for the next 3 days i'm pretty sure the people of Edinburgh would complain. When it snows in Aberdeen the club clean all the streets round Pittodrie and i'd expect Hearts to do the same.

Snow and ice pulled off gutters from the main stand at Tynecastle and dugouts were damaged.

Hearts called in contractors to clear the snow from the roof of the stands in order to permit a further safety check ahead of Saturday's match with Aberdeen.

And a club spokesperson said: "Work started immediately on making the stadium safe and excellent progress is being made.

"The snow is being cleared from the roof of the main stand while a team of men have been working with JCBs to get the car parks cleared. No efforts are being spared to get the game on and things are looking very positive at the moment.

"Although the forecast is for a very cold night this evening, the temperatures are expected to lift significantly over the next few days and that will work in our favour as well."