Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Players Christmas party cancelled

mizer

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2010/12/09/aberdeen-players-have-christmas-bash-cancelled-as-club-faces-up-to-relegation-battle-86908-22771610/

ABERDEEN have cancelled Christmas as they fight the threat of relegation.

The players had planned their annual festive bash in Newcastle after Saturday's match with Hearts at Tynecastle.

But football director Willie Miller ordered them to call off the party and focus fully on lifting the Dons off second bottom place in the SPL.

The Pittodrie club, which has never gone down in its 107-year history - have taken just four points from a possible 39 and Miller felt it would send out the wrong signal to their frustrated fans if they were seen to be celebrating.

One Dons player, who didn't want to be named, said: "Willie told us that because of the club's position we had to be seen to be being totally professional in our approach towards turning things around.

"It wouldn't be right and it wouldn't look right to be disappearing off to Newcastle for a Christmas night out given the way things are and so it was cancelled. We had to agree it was the right decision to take at this time. At the moment, the priority is to reverse this poor run of results and move up the table as quickly as possible.

"We can still have our night out when the club is safe from relegation and, hopefully, by then we will have a lot more to celebrate."

A wise move under the circumstances. Any more adverse publicity would have given the media a field day. Best to do it when there is something to celebrate.

I agree.  For once, the correct decision from the club.  Who knows when it will be appropriate to reschedule though . . . .  :hammer:

I actually feel for the players. A good chance to just get shit-faced and call everyone else a cunt to their faces. The players need the opportunity to vent like this now and then.

I've worked for companies who've been really struggling at Xmas time. And the Xmas nights out are a good chance to just blow steam for many employees. Everybody needs an out, especially when you're under enourmous pressure like a relegation-threatened squad.

I actually feel for the players. A good chance to just get shit-faced and call everyone else a cunt to their faces. The players need the opportunity to vent like this now and then.

I've worked for companies who've been really struggling at Xmas time. And the Xmas nights out are a good chance to just blow steam for many employees. Everybody needs an out, especially when you're under enourmous pressure like a relegation-threatened squad.

They get pished together midweek and every Saturday night. Christmas was just an excuse to go to Newcastle and get pished there instead.