Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Brown's transfer targets

Kowalski

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Broon in his post match interview there are some players coming in on trial next week from down south and further afield and a couple of players who he would like to sign who dont need a trial. Gave out no names as you would expect.

According to Broon in his post match interview there are some players coming in on trial next week from down south and further afield and a couple of players who he would like to sign who dont need a trial. Gave out no names as you would expect.

The way an experienced manager who has been in the game for a long time goes about conducting business.

I look forward to hearing news when there is any to report :thumbsup:

With the advent of forms of instant messaging wether text or on the Internet there is no chance of keeping signings quiet until the photo is taken.  Just the world we live in now

True but its annoying when it gets out we are about to sign so and so and it falls apart.

better if possible to keep it under wraps for as long as possible

does not alert other clubs as well

• 2 weeks later...

And it's not Steven Robb.

Steven Robb will fly to Bangkok tomorrow to sign a two-year contract with Asian side Thai Port.

The former Dundee, Dundee United and St Mirren winger has been the butt of jokes suggesting he is really heading to Tayport juniors.

The 28-year-old has been on the lookout for a club since being released by the Buddies two weeks ago and has decided to accept the offer of a life-changing move.

Robb has been speaking to Thai Port’s Australian coach Nathan Hall for the past few weeks after being recommended by former Dundee team-mate Neil Jablonski.

And the Tayside-born winger revealed his new club was the source of confusion when he was taking care of his banking – with the clerk thinking he was set to sign for junior side Tayport.

Robb said: “I was in the bank in Dundee the other day and got speaking to the worker behind the counter. He was asking what I was doing and I told him I was going to sign for a club called Thai Port.

“He just looked at me a bit blank and then asked if it was the junior club across the water. I had to explain to him I was moving to Thailand.

“A few other people have been winding me up. Not many people have heard of the club but it’s a brilliant opportunity for me and I’m so excited about it.

“I leave on Friday and arrive in Bangkok on Saturday afternoon. It’s very exciting and I can’t wait to get started.”

Robb’s cousin, Lisa, and her husband live in Bangkok so he was able to get plenty of information from them before agreeing to the switch.

His wife, Jacklyn, and son, Owen, will not move until March but Robb said: “My cousin Lisa’s husband works in the oil industry and has been posted there for the next three years.

“So they will be there for the whole time of my contract.

“I have asked them lots of questions and it’s great to have someone I know there to help me settle in.

“My wife and son Owen are coming out later but it will be great for them to have people we know.

“It’s a fantastic opportunity and it came about by fluke.

“I was speaking to Neil Jablonski, who used to play with Dundee and is now in Australia.

“I was telling him I fancied going abroad to play.

“He mentioned it to his coach in Australia and it so happens his brother, Nathan Hall, is the assistant manager of the team in Thailand.

“So it just developed from there. I spoke to him a few times and sent him over a DVD. He got back in touch saying they wanted to sign me but was worried I would be asking for a lot of money.

“I think they thought everyone in the UK is on fortunes, but they made me an offer and with the cost of living in Thailand it was good.

“The football is very important but as a family we want to try something different as well.

“I have been on the internet finding out about the club and everything I have read is impressive.

“Nathan Hall is one of the up-and-coming young coaches from Australia. He is very highly regarded and I have been impressed by him when we’ve talked.

“He tells me the league is very good technically and there are a lot of good young players. The one thing it maybe lacks is the tactical knowledge we have here, but that’s the side they are trying to develop.”

Robb will be thrown straight into pre-season when he arrives this weekend as they build up to their first league match on February 13.

The Thai season runs from February to October and he is ready to embrace an entirely different football culture.

He said: “Jacklyn and Owen will cgo home for a few weeks in the summer.

“The way it is going to work means I will be back here in Scotland at the end of October and have Christmas here before going back to Thailand in January.

“So it works out very well. Obviously the difference in culture will be a big thing but I am looking forward to it.

“I have not been to Asia before but I have spoken to loads of people who have and have not heard a bad word said about it yet.

“Lee Wilkie is working for a company which is based out there so his boss is going to look after me when I arrive.

“The club are setting me up with an apartment, but I will have other things to sort out and that’s what they’re going to give me a hand with.

“It’s a big step but I can’t wait to get out there and get started.”

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2087362#ixzz1AuubttX8