Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Jim Leighton re-appointed 'keeper coach

BobbyBiscuit

Well until you name a suitable replacement I don't see why we should go out looking to sign one.

We currently have no full backs at the club and if we were to plug these gaps first then I'm certain the lump of flesh we have between the sticks might actually start to perform.

He's been gash in the majority of matches he's played for us regardless of who's been playing in front of him.

I've already named 7 in the SPL alone that, imo, are better.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol this argument should have been resolved before he even came to us.

started his career at 17 with dundee, Was freed by them, Freed by raith, freed by partick, and freed by dunfermline. During the course of this time

During this time he has been a back up to Derek Stillie, Kenny Arthur, Some Guy called gonzalez at raith, Julian speroni, and formar legendary howler king Rab Douglas, Mustering less than 100 games in 9 years. A jobber, journey man, back-up, nobody and he is now our number 1. ACE

He's been gash in the majority of matches he's played for us regardless of who's been playing in front of him.

I've already named 7 in the SPL alone that, imo, are better.

Ok lets say they are better, I do nto agree but lets just say.

Can we get a better keeper than Langfield on our budget as well as the fullbacks we need.

I don't think so.

Ok lets say they are better, I do nto agree but lets just say.

Can we get a better keeper than Langfield on our budget as well as the fullbacks we need.

I don't think so.

Yes, I think so. To achieve this we would need a manager in place who could utilise his budget to good effect.  Hopefully we have that in Craig Brown.

I can't help but think some people are getting get caught up in the necessity of getting full backs into the team. Of course we need some, but that isn't going to make our team the quality side we so desperately crave. It will help, but there are other pressing problems within our side. I think it was BTR said last night, we need to sort out the attitude first and foremost. I think Craig Brown will bring in players he will know can do a job. I don't know why, maybe it's sheer hope after the absolute hell we've all been through the past 2 and a bit years, but I feel Brown might just be able to deliver the level of consistency we require.

I think it was BTR said last night, we need to sort out the attitude first and foremost.

Not guilty m'lud.  I don't personally think attitude is the issue and I think attitude is an easy target for lazy fans, I think it it is confidence and ability, or more pertinently a lack thereof.

Langfield's problem is a real lack of consistency.  He is a better keeper than Howard no question, but he seems to have regressed in the past year and a half.  On his day (which admittedly doesn't come around often enough) he is on a par, if not better than most of the keepers on allys's post, only Gallacher I would suggest is an all-round better keeper.  Marian Kello's a cereal fumbler...

A couple of full backs will allow all the players in the defence to know exactly where they are playing, who they are playing with and partnerships to be formed. Hopefully this should allow confidence at the back to return which will, in turn, infect the rest of the team. At the minute they must be panicking  every time they lose possession that we're about to concede. 

Not guilty m'lud.  I don't personally think attitude is the issue and I think attitude is an easy target for lazy fans, I think it it is confidence and ability, or more pertinently a lack thereof.

Langfield's problem is a real lack of consistency.  He is a better keeper than Howard no question, but he seems to have regressed in the past year and a half.  On his day (which admittedly doesn't come around often enough) he is on a par, if not better than most of the keepers on allys's post, only Gallacher I would suggest is an all-round better keeper.  Marian Kello's a cereal fumbler...

The fact that Langfield is notorious for his lack of consistency surely points towards him being no better than mediocre??

You think Langfield, on his day, is better than McGregor, Foster, Pernis etc? Fair play if that's your opinion, each to their own etc. I find that assertion quite staggering.

Kello certainly used to be a bit of a bombscare but has come on leaps and bound over the past 12 months, I'd say he's most definitely better than Langfield now. 

The fact that Langfield is notorious for his lack of consistency surely points towards him being no better than mediocre??

You think Langfield, on his day, is better than McGregor, Foster, Pernis etc? Fair play if that's your opinion, each to their own etc. I find that assertion quite staggering.

Kello certainly used to be a bit of a bombscare but has come on leaps and bound over the past 12 months, I'd say he's most definitely better than Langfield now.

Better than Langfield now.

'Come on leaps and bound over the past 12 months' isn't quite in the 'snap-him-up' bracket I'm looking for to be honest and quite possible he could fall into the 'not-as-good-as-Langfield' in 6 months time catagory if Leighton gets him back on course.

If we're going to replace Langfield then I'll say it one more time - we need a 'keeper who is a good all-rounder, one who will outshining all the others in the Kjaer, Theo or Leighton mould.

Swapping like for like is pointless.

'Come on leaps and bound over the past 12 months' isn't quite in the 'snap-him-up' bracket I'm looking for to be honest and quite possible he could fall into the 'not-as-good-as-Langfield' in 6 months time catagory if Leighton gets him back on course.

If we're going to replace Langfield then I'll say it one more time - we need a 'keeper who is a good all-rounder, one who will outshining all the others in the Kjaer, Theo or Leighton mould.

It is an important point that Langfield's confidence is completely shot at the moment. He has been on very good runs of form in the past, I don't see why he can't again.

All this is largely irrelavent though because, as is often the case when folk are deciding which players should be binned next, I have massive doubts over whether this club is capable of attracting a superior alternative.

I named keepers who are better than Langfield.  Kello is better than Langfield, it matters not one jot he used to be as bad as Clangers.  If anything it says Kello has managed to improve his game no end whereas Langfield remains a bombscare.

Leighton couldn't do much with him during his previous stint with AFC so I wouldn't hold your breath.

McGregor and Gallacher from your list are better than Langfield in my opinion, though that said, I don't know if Gallacher has perhaps regressed a little.  Cerny and Pernis are decent keepers but no more, Forster has only been at Celtic for two minutes and doesn't strike me as being superior to Zaluska, so other than the two Scottish keepers on the list, there's not much to separate the rest and that's not staggering in the slightest, it's not as if they get rave reviews in the media each week - I recall John Ruddy getting good reviews last season and rightly so, every time I saw him he looked like a really good keeper.

It depends which slant you take on it.  Under any circumstances his performances need to drastically improve, no doubt, but to give one example, any keeper who can put in the type of performance like he put in in Dnipropetrovsk must have talent in there somewhere.

He does have issues with his confidence and I think he reached a water-shed moment in Mallorca and after that embarrassing stain on his reputation he went on to have a dry run in the team for a while where he managed to find consistency a good record of clean sheets.  Seems to have pissed those days away since that good run though...

McGregor and Gallacher from your list are better than Langfield in my opinion, though that said, I don't know if Gallacher has perhaps regressed a little.  Cerny and Pernis are decent keepers but no more, Forster has only been at Celtic for two minutes and doesn't strike me as being superior to Zaluska, so other than the two Scottish keepers on the list, there's not much to separate the rest and that's not staggering in the slightest, it's not as if they get rave reviews in the media each week - I recall John Ruddy getting good reviews last season and rightly so, every time I saw him he looked like a really good keeper.

It depends which slant you take on it.  Under any circumstances his performances need to drastically improve, no doubt, but to give one example, any keeper who can put in the type of performance like he put in in Dnipropetrovsk must have talent in there somewhere.

He does have issues with his confidence and I think he reached a water-shed moment in Mallorca and after that embarrassing stain on his reputation he went on to have a dry run in the team for a while where he managed to find consistency a good record of clean sheets.  Seems to have pissed those days away since that good run though...

I accept your point about Forster.  As for the others on the list, I'd take all of them ahead of Langfield.  All keepers make mistakes from time to time but Langfield seems to make an awful lot more than others, you don't get the nickname Clangers for nothing.

Giving one example of a good performance doesn't make him a decent keeper. Richie Byrne had a good game for Aberdeen once, does that mean there's talent in there somewhere? 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I accept your point about Forster.  As for the others on the list, I'd take all of them ahead of Langfield.  All keepers make mistakes from time to time but Langfield seems to make an awful lot more than others, you don't get the nickname Clangers for nothing.

Giving one example of a good performance doesn't make him a decent keeper. Richie Byrne had a good game for Aberdeen once, does that mean there's talent in there somewhere? 

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

You have taken that to far.

You have taken that to far.

Did he not turn the United cup game (3-2) upside down with some blistering runs up the wing from full back or was I just really fucking rinsed that day with a bruised skull from bouncing across rows of seats in the shed ? (Ahhhhh..the memories)

Richie Byrne was a far better CH than FB.

And he would walk into either position right now in that team.

Langfield had more than "just one performance" ffs Ally, I suspect if you watched another team week in week out you'd see just as many horrid performances, such is the low standard, I think the point being made is that he has shown he can play to a much better standard than he's performing at just now, it is a question of whether Brown/Knox/Leighton think that is possible. Not too dissimilar to the situation with Diamond.