Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Jim Leighton re-appointed 'keeper coach

BobbyBiscuit

I don't think you can judge the quality of either of these guys on this seasons performance. Possibly not on last years either, as they have suffered massively from the lack of stability in front of them. You can argue all you like about ability or coaching input but the fact is that a keeper will perform significantly better if he has a trusted and secure defence to support him. The number of chances we create for the opposition by lacking a balanced back line and lack of confidence/ability within our CBs means our keeper, whoever he is, is under pressure from the first minute tot he last. The list you have posted up there Stoney is an example of this, average to poor keepers doing well as a result of a trusted, solid back line. Until we get the defence sorted our keepers will look bad, with a solid defence I think both Howard and Langfield will be as good as any keeper in the league outwith OF.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly.  Take our goalkeeping position for an example. I could name at least 7 keepers in the SPL all better than Langfield.  It's not good enough, we could do a lot better for what we're paying.

There are clubs in far worse positions than us who seem to able to attract players who'd walk into our team.

Name them.

Whilst you're at it, tell me how many caps and/or call ups they have.

Outwith the OF there are no stand-out 'keepers.  They're all much of a muchness and Langfield was at least getting labelled as being the best of them until McGhee started trying to play football manager.

Name them.

Whilst you're at it, tell me how many caps and/or call ups they have.

Outwith the OF there are no stand-out 'keepers.  They're all much of a muchness and Langfield was at least getting labelled as being the best of them until McGhee started trying to play football manager.

McGregor

Forster

Pernis

Gallacher

Randolph

Cerny

Kello

When Langfield is on form I personally think he's better than the majority of those players with maybe only mcgregor being better. Personal opinion though

Is the right answer.

On form Langfield was getting Scotland call ups and was being offered a parking space on the Hun bench.  The rest were not.

None of those names bar McGregor jump out at me.  None of them scream 'better'.

Is the right answer.

On form Langfield was getting Scotland call ups and was being offered a parking space on the Hun bench.  The rest were not.

None of those names bar McGregor jump out at me.  None of them scream 'better'.

Receiving a call up for the Scotland bench means jack.  Foster is in the main currently warming the hun bench, is he one of the best full backs in the SPL?

Gallacher and McGregor already have caps under their belts, Langfield doesn't.

I'm not sure how many games you see, either live on online, but Langfield's form is erratic.  The others listed, imo, are far more consistent and overall better keepers.

Last word from me on this one.  Langfield is no better than mediocre, he makes the same mistakes time and again. His handling at crosses never improves, he always seems to get caught out at his near post, his kicking is atrocious, he doesn't appear to instil confidence in his defence, and he's a big time bottler etc etc.

lols The only reason he got a call up anyways was because Iain Turner pulled out of the squad.

He is an awful keeper, one of the worst in the clubs history - i have no idea how any sane person can defend this lunatic. Had a lookie through some of the match reports on the hat for the 06/07 and 07/08 games match after match they read Langfield Blunder.

I can count his good games on one hand.

New keeper is definitely a requirement.

Receiving a call up for the Scotland bench means jack.  Foster is in the main currently warming the hun bench, is he one of the best full backs in the SPL?

Gallacher and McGregor already have caps under their belts, Langfield doesn't.

I'm not sure how many games you see, either live on online, but Langfield's form is erratic.  The others listed, imo, are far more consistent and overall better keepers.

Last word from me on this one.  Langfield is no better than mediocre, he makes the same mistakes time and again. His handling at crosses never improves, he always seems to get caught out at his near post, his kicking is atrocious, he doesn't appear to instil confidence in his defence, and he's a big time bottler etc etc.

I can't argue with any of that. On his day he is a decent spl keeper, however his apparent inability to learn from his mistakes is annoying as hell. Problem is, his consistency levels are fast becoming negative.

I'll still laugh at the thought that there are 7 better 'keepers in the SPL.

The only thing laughable is the fact there are still folk who think Langfield is worthy of the no.1 jersey at Pittodrie.

Leighton’s joy as he returns to help Dons save their status

Published: 15/12/2010

NO JOYS of daytime television and microwave pizzas for Jim Leighton. After his surprise dismissal as Aberdeen goalkeeper coach by then manager Mark McGhee in August last year, the 91-times capped Leighton was forced to endure on the outside as his club plunged from low to lower to lowest.

6.30pm on Sunday changed all that.

That was when Craig Brown called, asking Leighton to return to the club he has served with such distinction.

The conversation didn’t last long. The follow-up call from chief executive Duncan Fraser didn’t go on much longer, with the coach having to be asked what terms he was looking for.

Leighton returned to the club on Monday and said: “I’d heard a wee bit of speculation but when Craig called to ask me to come back I was more than delighted. I can’t really begin to say how happy I was to get the call and how glad I am to be back.

“I’d heard chat and a few people had called to ask if I would be going back, but I genuinely didn’t know what was going to happen.

“It’s hard to say how happy I was but it is hard to get any higher than 10 out of 10.”

Leighton was resigned to the end of his time at Pittodrie and said: “I thought that was it, that my tie with the club was over when I left.

“I never dreamed I would be back in this capacity. People who know me know how much I feel about the club.

“Despite what happened to me Aberdeen was still my club and would always be my club even if I had not come back this week.”

Having served a succession of managers, Leighton is convinced the appointment of Brown and Archie Knox is the right one.

The goalkeeper has been signed on a staff, rather than fixed-term, contract.

He said: “I would have never dreamed this would happen but I am so delighted to come back, especially with the management team which has come in.

“They are people who I have so much respect for and I take it as a compliment they asked me back.”

Leighton was not idle during his enforced absence.

As well as working with the Scotland under-21 squad and Highland League club Huntly, he also travelled to broaden his education.

He said: “I know what the job means to me. Being away has made me wiser and more mature.

“I have still been working with the Scotland under-21s. I was away in Canada and to Everton to work with Chris Woods, their goalkeeper coach, so I have been about and not just sitting watch daytime television.

“I was looking at how other people do things and, hopefully, I can bring those experiences with me here.

“But I do know what I do works and I will doing the job the way I think it should be done.”

Leighton will play a pivotal role in shoring a porous defence that has conceded 36 goals in just 16 SPL matches – a far cry from recent seasons in which Jimmy Calderwood’s Aberdeen team reached the final 32 of the Uefa Cup and the Dons were constants in the top six.

Leighton hopes the influence of Brown and in particular Knox on the training ground will create a spirit and determination that had evaporated from the team.

He said: “Archie’s training methods are not different from anyone else but it’s his manner and the way he does it. Craig will also get the best out of players.

“I was the outside looking in but I did not see a smile on the faces of the players and it often reflects in results.

“If you are winning, people are smiling. They were when they beat Hamilton and St Johnstone at the start of the season, but unfortunately not since.

“We could not have got a better management team.

“I was disappointed when I first heard they had turned it down but delighted when I then heard they were coming.

“Aberdeen has always been my team and, as a supporter, I think there is no way the club could have got better in terms of knowledge and experience to, hopefully, get us back to where we should be.

“The reaction from the players has been positive.

“We had a meeting on Monday and I am looking forward to getting back working with them again.

“I can’t wait to get the sleeves rolled up again and get stuck in again.

“Things will not change overnight. It will be a gradual process that might depend on what happens in the transfer window.

“That is out of my hands, but this is a challenge for everyone.

“A climb up to the top six of the league is achievable and if we could do that it would be a magnificent achievement.

“But it has to happen on a game-by-game basis. It is a great target to have, though.”

The only thing laughable is the fact there are still folk who think Langfield is worthy of the no.1 jersey at Pittodrie.

Well until you name a suitable replacement I don't see why we should go out looking to sign one.

We currently have no full backs at the club and if we were to plug these gaps first then I'm certain the lump of flesh we have between the sticks might actually start to perform.