Saturday 28th September 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Dundee v Aberdeen

Jim Leighton re-appointed 'keeper coach

BobbyBiscuit

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right baggy, he played well that night. I remember his shirt from that game ending up on ebay and I put an offer in for it. You know how much it eventually sold for? Funster or padre will tell you...

Ajja, other than the pleasure of your company on that crisp tuesday afternoon, I'm not sure I want to remember much about those few days...

Ajja, other than the pleasure of your company on that crisp tuesday afternoon, I'm not sure I want to remember much about those few days...

Amen brother. A trip with much of the good and bad in life all rolled up. The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

• 2 weeks later...
Langfield into the black to foot cost of Leighton return

it’s no longer all white on the night for aberdeen goalkeeper jamie

By Paul Third

Jamie Langfield is delighted to welcome goalkeeper coach Jim Leighton back into the Pittodrie fold – even if it has cost Langfield the chance to wear his favourite boots.

The Dons keeper, who helped give Craig Brown a winning start in the 2-1 win at Hiber-nian on Boxing Day, is happy to have his former mentor back on board, but the return of Scotland’s most capped goalie has come at a price.

Langfield said: “It's great to have Jim back at the club and the early impression is that he has mellowed out a wee bit during his time away.

“Mind you, the white boots had to go straight away but I knew the minute I heard he was coming back that would be the case.

“He hates keepers wearing coloured boots because he believes it gives opposition attackers an edge if they see your feet more clearly.

“The reason I wore the white ones was I had a deal with the company that provides them but I told them Jim was returning so they had to go in the bin and I got the black ones back.

“Jim is a perfectionist and, after working in the media at our games, he has made it clear there are things he wants to improve in my game.”

Langfield stopped short of criticising Leighton’s predecessor Colin Meldrum but he made it clear he feels Leighton’s input can help him to re-establish himself – and, he hopes, force his way back into the Scotland squad.

He added: “Goalkeeping coaches don't come more experienced than Jim, so you take in everything he says.

“Hopefully, he will make me a bit better again and it is great to have such an important figure at Aberdeen to call upon and speak to after games. I certainly think I haven't been playing as well as I should have been but that is down to me rather than blaming anything else.

“I want to get back to the sort of form that got me into the Scotland squad and the only way to do that is by working hard and doing well at club level.”

Langfield will be in goal again today as the Dons take on Hamilton at New Douglas Park, bidding for back-to-back league wins for the first time since the opening two games of the campaign. Having moved off the bottom of the SPL after their win at Hibs, the Dons can extend their lead over Accies, who now occupy bottom place, if they win today. But Langfield insists he and his team-mates are taking it one game at a time.

He said: “It's too early to talk about us having turned a corner but I think a lot of people saw something encouraging in our performance at Easter Road.

“The boys showed they were right up for the fight to take the three points off Hibs where maybe a couple of weeks ago we would have lost the game.

“We showed a bit of character to hold on at the end and you had the sight of the likes of the 34-year-old Paul Hartley running round like a kid again.

“It was great to get the win and you could see the confidence coming back from that but it's what happens next that's important.

“There's no point following that up by losing at Hamilton as it's a massive game and we know it's another one we have to win. It's amazing what a good result can do and the game can't come quickly enough.”