Sunday 6th October 2024 - kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Hearts

Milne: Players will leave in coming weeks

BobbyBiscuit

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, from the BBC:

Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne has promised transfer funds to new manager Craig Brown and assistant Archie Knox in the January transfer window.

But Milne also expects players to leave Pittodrie in the coming weeks.

"There's not bags of money available in Scottish football, that's just the reality," Milne told the club website.

"But we said to Craig and Archie that we would work with them to find money to enable them to make the moves they want to make in January."

And Milne added: "The moves they make will probably end up being a combination of some new money and maybe moving some players on that they don't feel are part of their long-term plans."

The Dons, who are currently bottom of the Scottish Premier League, have traditionally resisted large spending in the transfer market preferring instead to invest in youth.

"Fans will always say that if there's a chairman who they believe has money to burn, he should be throwing that into the football club," said property developer Milne.

"We have provided a lot of financial support to the football club over the years and we will continue to do that.

"But I've never been a believer that throwing money at problems is the way to deal with them.

"Sometimes it helps but quite often it's responsible for doing damage within the game. The real underlying issues are not addressed.

"Football is all about getting the best out of a squad available, that's a manager's job and that's what Craig and Archie will set out to do."

"When you don't make a change, there is potentially an even greater cost of not making a change," added Milne.

"We came to the conclusion it was the right time to make a change.

"If you believe it's the right decision to make you have then got to find funds to make the change.

"In neither case funds have not come out of the football budget, we have found that money from elsewhere."

Another area of spending Aberdeen will incur in is their protracted move to a new 21,000-seater stadium, estimated to cost around £15m.

"We don't have the option of doing nothing," Milne said.

"This stadium (Pittodrie) has a limited life and every year we stay here it costs us a heap of money. That's just going to continue to increase. At some point we have got to make the move."

Aye, Milne is obviously after the site, in Linksfield, for high priced flats that he can sell on at huge profits to the high earners.  :hammer:

Whether you believe that or not it's up to you.  But you can bet your bottom dollar that he'll have a finger in that pie along with the building of the new stadium somewhere along the line.

Providing man power, materials, equipment, etc.  All at a tidy profit for his back pocket.

To think otherwise would be just as foolish as to believe he was just in it to get the land Pittodrie sits on.

Well he signed Mulgrew so there's hope!!

Has Mulgrew been injured or was he just so pish at the start of the season he's been binned forever?

If players have to go who could it be? Ifil maybe, one of the strikers surely must go. Will Mackie survive another manager?

Has Mulgrew been injured or was he just so pish at the start of the season he's been binned forever?

If players have to go who could it be? Ifil maybe, one of the strikers surely must go. Will Mackie survive another manager?

He was so pish against ict at the start of the season they forked out for another lb.

Got to be looking at strikers to free up wages so we can sign in a lb and rb. We don't need 780 strikers.

Mackie will certainly survive til the end of the season. His injury has at least assured him of that

Paton I imagine will still be one of the more likely to go, given he has gone to the lengths of a trial in Austria (though that may be more to get away from McGhee than Aberdeen if rumours are to be believed).  Any concrete interest in anyone out of contract in the summer and I think they will be allowed to talk/go (Maguire apart, unless silly money is involved).  Maybe a couple of the youngsters who have been around the first team on loan to, if we get in more experience...

Players I would be unhappy to see leave - Fyvie, Pawlett, Hartley, Folly, Vernon, Jack, Robertson and Derek Young (low wage 100% player who is a good squad player).

The rest I wouldn't care to see go, hell I'd give some of them a piggy back down the road.

Pawlett is a strange one. Looks like he has the ability but also looks like he could be another Jamie smith in that he will be injured a lot of the time. As for the rest I still feel folly let's the game pass him by a lot of the time but could turn into a good player. Hartley may not have much left in the tank and unsure how much longer he can go on but I would keep him at this moment of time. Vernon is obvious and jack and five are just young uns so would definitely keep them. I wouldn't keep seek young though. As much as he gives 100 percent he's just not very good at football. If we are going to base our keeping of players on that then mackie would be a shoe in and I don't want him kept either as he's piss poor.

Couldn't disagree more about Folly, he's been superb and that's before taking into consideration that he's doing all of Hartley's running for him.

Can't see any of our players being wanted by any other club.

I'm still holding out that someone takes diamond and ifil. FALSE hope I'm sure.

Is there a plan for who will replace him and guarantee our debt?

Facebook is not for planning, it's for nonsense and attention seeking.

It's the classic authority without responsibility horseshit that seems to plague British society these days.