Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Managers in England

TENEMENTFUNSTER

• 2 weeks later...

And O'Driscoll from Forest!  The world is mad, 1 point off the play-off's and daft arab owners decide to give him the dunt. Well played.

"He can count himself unlucky to have lost his job with the team just one point away from the top six," Forest chairman Fawaz Al Hasawi said

Fud. Especially after putting 4 past Dirty leeds.

Alex McLeish has been appointed the new manager of Nottingham Forest.

The 53-year-old former Aston Villa, Birmingham and Scotland boss replaces Sean O'Driscoll, who was sacked on 26 December after five months in charge.

"I believe he's the man who can help us fulfil our ambition of making it to the Premier League," said Forest chairman Fawaz Al Hasawi.

McLeish said: "The fact a club of Forest's magnitude has offered me a job excites me greatly."

Does anyone follow Simon Kuper on Twitter?

Something he mentioned as part of his Soccernomics book I think, relating to football managers who were top footballers actually making very poor managers (with rare exceptions like Guardiola & Cruyff), but football club chairmen having continuous mental blocks when it comes to this.

Alex McLeish, in the bigger scheme of things, actually did quite well as manager of Rangers winning the same amount of trophies as Sir Martin of Celtic.  But that shouldn't count for much in an uncompetitive league.  He's done pretty much pap-all else, I don't really understand what he has done in a managerial context (especially in England) to merit being considered a good manager.  He got Hibs and Birmingham promoted, but Hibs were always going to be too big for SFL1 and Birmingham had to go back up with a big EPL parachute payment.

Henning Berg got the Blackburn job not because he was a good coach, but because he was a Blackburn legend.

Who have been the best managers in England over the past 20 years?  Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, David Moyes, Rafa Benitez? Roy Hodgson? Harry Redknapp?  None of whom had glittering playing careers.  At another end of the scale you have managers who'll do a specific task (ie win promotion), like Neil Warnock, Mick McCarthy, Steve Bruce all having won promotions with 2 or more clubs, the latter two admittedly had good playing careers but maybe the moral to the tale is that good players are better suited to this level.  Cardiff almost dead certs to go up, but Bruce's Hull are a good bet, and I wouldn't at all write off Warnock's Leeds joining them.

Blackburn have put themselves in a very bad position.  By staying loyal to Kean for so long, the appointment of someone such as Berg to appease the fans was one that probably had to be made for their (Venky's) own sakes.  Blackburn now really need a Steve Bruce, a Neil Warnock or a Mick McCarthy.  They wont win you trophies or get you in to Europe, but they'll do a grand job of getting you out of that division.

Great move, really honestly a great move.  In my opinion the only places he could've gone to without stepping down were Bayern & Manchester Utd.  Bayern are a force that need to be up there with the Barcas, the Real Madrids and the Manchester Utds.

Will he bring the tiki-taka to Bayern?  He's already got a pretty good squad, but it would need pretty major surgery to get the personnel to play that style.