Saturday 21st September 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

🏆 Scottish League Cup: Aberdeen v The Spartans

Managers in England

TENEMENTFUNSTER

Guess growing up in Holland I was always used to his antics, but I can't disagree about the stubborn arrogance comment regarding the Dutch.  Just found the whole episode a bit disrespectful.

Yes it could have and should have been handled better. They at least could have told him in advance although going public with it as Citey did so early was always going to be counter-productive.

I won't generalise about the jewish owners and their lack of respect for any humanity that isn't jewish.

If Giggs gets kept on, I think this would be a big mistake. He should be fucked off, an untrustworthy character and a blast from the past from which ties need to be severed in order for them to move on.

Much as I throughly enjoyed Ferguson's contribution on the Rory McIlroy thing, I fear that until he's banned from getting anywhere close to being involved on the playing side of the business, his presence and reminder of past glories will also be counter-productive. I know that they'll say that he hasn't been anywhere near the business of management since he retired but a man like that can't keep from offering unsolicited observations and impressions to his successors. Not that he would be interfering directly, it's just the bad karma deep within his soul that pollutes their future, much as he was the best manager of all time.

Van Gaal, in my opinion, is not a likeable man. I don't know the guy obviously but until he took Holland to the World Cup in 2014 playing the best football out of anyone I had nothing but disdain for him. Why he couldn't do the same with man Utd I don't know. I do think he was treated disrespectfully but that's the nature of the beast these days and the crazy amount of money that you're on managing at that level should compensate adequately.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Claudio Bravo's contribution for Citey tonight was further proof of Pep's genius.

He knew before he started that Hart was unfit for purpose and got rid.

That's just basic, getting rid of people who aren't good enough to fulfil the objective.

On the other hand McInnes, and the three previous clowns sticking with Langfield was evidence of their incompetence.

A winner - in anything - is ruthless. If he's not good enough, fuck him off.

Claudio Bravo's contribution for Citey tonight was further proof of Pep's genius.

He knew before he started that Hart was unfit for purpose and got rid.

That's just basic, getting rid of people who aren't good enough to fulfil the objective.

On the other hand McInnes, and the three previous clowns sticking with Langfield was evidence of their incompetence.

A winner - in anything - is ruthless. If he's not good enough, fuck him off.

The two are not comparable. A blind monkey could have seen that Hart was shite and clearly not good enough - did anyone who watched the euros not draw that conclusion (I thought he was pish long before that, but I don't watch a lot of EPL)? When your "scouting" the best players in the world (i.e. known entities) with unlimited funds, it's pretty easy to get rid of players and replace them.

Give Pep zero funds, Jim Leighton as coach and scout, and a team requiring a striker, two midfielders, two fullbacks and a centre half for the first team and then ask him to prioritise because he doesn't have the resources or time to scout and replace them all then see what he does. In the end, whilst it doesn't suit the narrative, McInnes' (not McGhee, Brown or Calderwood before him) decision to give Langfield a contract was entirely vindicated when he went on to have a good season, giving us time and funds to address our midfield, striking and right back positions and in the process win a trophy (even with the: we'll never win anything with Langfield in goals mantra) and finish 6 places higher in the league. The facts speak for themselves, and they don't remotely suggest that Langfield was a good 'keeper, just that there was a system of priorities both on and off the pitch that had to all be dealt with. If we'd not taken in Flood or Robson and replaced Langfield, I don't believe we would have won the cup, same with Rooney and Logan. You also seem to ignore the fact that he also had to "fuck off" Chris Clark, Gavin Rae, Stephen Hughes and so on who weren't good enough to fulfil the objective. McInnes's big mistake was replacing him - and it was meant as a replacement - with Brown. Langfield was a more than adequate number two, and he shouldn't be held to account for the absolutely atrocious signing of a 'keeper who was actually worse than him (see McGhee for a list of fucking awful replacements too). We shouldn't have seen anything of Langfield in that second year, but we brought in a useless cunt. Unfortunately, McInnes' targets aren't on the TV every week so that even a child can see their obvious qualities, so he has to scout lower English league pish. I'd argue that we got lucky with Ward coming available, and whilst Lewis has turned out to be good it was clear with the signing of Alexander that McInnes wasn't 100% confident about him. That shows either that AFC doesn't have good goalkeeper scouting, or that it's a very difficult market to operate in. Probably a bit of both.

The two are not comparable. A blind monkey could have seen that Hart was shite and clearly not good enough...

I would agree that Pep and McInnes are not comparable. The size of their wage packet alone tells us that. But almost every man - except bankers and corporate fat cats and politicians ill-gotten "extras" - gets paid what he's worth.

If we speak about priorities and keep on being apologists for the dreadful record of AFC for the last 20+ years then we create the danger of getting the club we deserve. We already have the club we deserve of course but I can't believe that Milne is going to win the war, despite the evidence to the contrary and the pendulum steadily swinging in his favour as each half decade goes by. I have more faith in human nature than you and can't believe that my fellow Aberdonians and North East men are so blind and so stupid.

On the specific, no it was not obvious to everyone including his previous managers and the national manager that Hart was a liability. It was obvious to me that after his first couple of seasons (which were good and then competent) that he was a poor keeper and obviously it was to you but whereas we had FOUR successive managers who kept on picking a total incompetent, Guardiola never picked him at all, before even getting the season underway in earnest.

This is a philosophy difference. You don't pick fucking idiots to represent you. A manager's job is to build the team and to do the best that they can. You don't put in fucking spastics and as my St Mirren mate is telling me, Langfield is a total fucking spastic, as if we didn't know this already, having had to endure him for year after year after year with inevitable consequences. So when you say he had a "good season", I say you're speaking shite because he's NEVER had a good season and it's impossible for him to have one because he lacks the basic skills of the job. I was shocked he saved a penalty at Red Parkhead actually but even a blind squirrel finds a tortoise.

Pep is a genius manager and the fact he got Bravo to join him, to leave Barcelona wasn't going to be down to money alone. As I predicted on this thread more than six months ago, you can give the EPL title for the 2016/17 season to Man City right now, because nobody can compete with the best manager having the best budget.

As the Old Firm proved 30 and 35 years ago and as Leicester proved in May, the best budgets don't always win. It takes skill to administer them. But having the 2nd or 3rd biggest budget in Scotland for the last 25/30 years hasn't brought AFC commensurate rewards and there is a reason for this. If people choose to ignore that fact, there's going to be further despair to come for anyone left who gives a fuck.

If we speak about priorities and keep on being apologists for the dreadful record of AFC for the last 20+ years then we create the danger of getting the club we deserve. We already have the club we deserve of course but I can't believe that Milne is going to win the war, despite the evidence to the contrary and the pendulum steadily swinging in his favour as each half decade goes by. I have more faith in human nature than you and can't believe that my fellow Aberdonians and North East men are so blind and so stupid.

McInnes's priorities, not Milne's. There's a difference. McInnes was working within Milne's parameters (budget).

This is a philosophy difference. You don't pick fucking idiots to represent you. A manager's job is to build the team and to do the best that they can. You don't put in fucking spastics and as my St Mirren mate is telling me, Langfield is a total fucking spastic, as if we didn't know this already, having had to endure him for year after year after year with inevitable consequences. So when you say he had a "good season", I say you're speaking shite because he's NEVER had a good season and it's impossible for him to have one because he lacks the basic skills of the job. I was shocked he saved a penalty at Red Parkhead actually but even a blind squirrel finds a tortoise.

I agree with the rest, so I'll try and explain myself on this. Good is a relative term, that season was good by his standards (he also made saves in the Alloa game on the way to the final). It's relative to the other options too. I've always stuck up for Langfield as an average, sometimes above average SPL 'keeper, and I stand by that. That's not what we should be settling for, obviously. We had Rae, Hughes and Clark (possibly still Milsom too). Vernon and Magennis up front, Robertson at left back and Jack at right back. McInnes had a budget, and within that budget we have to assume we had the funds to buy a Brown or a Lewis. The question of priority then goes to the either or scenario. Would we have been better not getting Rooney, Logan or Flood and getting a better goalie? I'd argue that the difference between Langfield and Lewis was significantly less than between Clark and Flood, or Rooney and Vernon. In the end, we dropped Langfield (because he's a total fucking spastic as you say), but downgraded him to Scott fucking Brown. Imagine we'd done that a year earlier, and missed out on Flood or Robson because we were dicking about trying to find two goalies (we had to sign Weaver that season as we ran out of time to address the number two position)? Flood, Robson and Rooney were absolute certainties to walk into our team and make a difference and they had to take priority. Langfield - as proved - was acceptable enough for one season as number one under McInnes (he should have been long gone by that point, but for the incompetence of Brown and McGhee before him). Scott Brown was a worse signing than Langfield's additional contract in my opinion. We'd had a whole year to look at options and came up with a shite one.

McInnes's priorities, not Milne's. There's a difference. McInnes was working within Milne's parameters (budget).

There is a difference but presenting the case for the defence for McInnes ignores the bigger and far more important issue.

Plus, he should have seen immediately that Clangers was shite but like his predecessors, isn't good enough at his job to know this. Like Mancini and Pellegrini and Woy re Hart, unlike Pep.

I agree with the rest, so I'll try and explain myself on this.

I've always stuck up for Langfield as an average, sometimes above average SPL 'keeper, and I stand by that. T

That's where we disagree. I find it incredulous that anyone can say that quite frankly.

This is where I get "into trouble" on AFC webchatspeaksites. Yes we can all have opinions on matters which aren't black and white but this is black and the debate has gone. And where there's no debate to be had because we're disputing a fact, the poster that opposes my view should be banned for displaying gross ignorance that disqualifies him from debating on a AFC forum.

But as we've seen with the above-named managers, not everybody knows the art of goalkeeping as well as rocket does so I'll forgive you ;D

;D I can't believe I'm actually sticking up for him here, I've always thought he was a fucking awful signing, and was raging when Calderwood brought him in but saying he's above average SPL wasn't supposed to be a compliment. Anyway, here's the list of goalies for that season. Forster aside, I'd have been raging had we brought any of these in instead of him (maybe Mannus at a push):

Fraser Forster

Lee Hollis

Rados?aw Cierzniak

Dean Brill / Ryan Esson

Alan Mannus

Michael Fraser

David Cornell / Marian Kello

Craig Samson

Scott Fox

Ben Williams

Jamie MacDonald

Gads, what an horrific bunch of goalies. I'd say Langfield performed better than all of those bar Forster that season, and that really isn't being complimentary. None of the above would have taken us further in the league certainly, but we may just have lost the cup. This is not saying that Langfield is good, it's saying that the standard of 'keeper in the SPL is fucking awful. Apart fae Lewis, he seems decent.

Also, I'm ace at goalies, the best at goalies. I do the best goalies.

Comparing Langfield's inadequacies to his peers at the time is folly.

That's like mitigating one clown against others.

They're either competent with the basic skills for the job or they're not.

If not, replace the useless cunt with someone not useless.

Not rocket science.

And if that's too difficult a task for a professional football manager, fuck him off an a.

But until the real problem gets recognised and acted upon, same old same old...

AFC RIP. Disgusting.

• 2 weeks later...

Allardyce under FA investigation after article in Telegrapgh where he attacked his predicesor, Gary Neville and FA. Also allegedly further revelations to come on corruption in the game. Knew it would only be a question of time before this clown made a cunt of it.

Allardyce under FA investigation after article in Telegrapgh where he attacked his predecessor, Gary Neville and FA. Also allegedly further revelations to come on corruption in the game. Knew it would only be a question of time before this clown made a cunt of it.

Stupidity of people like him astounds me.  Do they honestly think that in this day and age shit like that wouldn't get leaked or investigated?!

The BBC nailed Fat Sam in the same programme that they nailed SAF, revealing the precise role of his son Jason in his capacity in Elite Sports Agency. Not that we didn't know about Fergie anyway when the Irish billionaires started to fry him gently and publicly.  Like everything, people shy away from inconvenient truths and would bury their heads in the sand than confront them. But as the FA, they have no excuse for not pursuing and exhausting the allegations exposed in that programme which again involved the son formula of stealing from the manager's employer.

Think about it. There are ZERO other Engerlish candidates. That's how pish they are.

The beauty is, corroupt Sam might have been successful. He's got cunt about him, an essential ingredient.

You couldn't make this up. Beautiful aesthetics beyond perfection.

Oh o agree completely,  they would have done well. Thank fuck for this!